Hurricane-proof House

This sounds possible though, not out of the question.

-
Reply to
Saab Guy

Don't build it in New Orleans.

Reply to
Stephen King

But which one do you shoot?

One had roast beef and the other had nun........

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

And, while building it off the ground, to get out of harm's way of the water, aren't you exposing it to more potential wind damage?

Notan

Reply to
Notan

So let's do a FULL recap of this house. I am going to save this for future use and reference.

Let's fill in the blanks and develope this and have it stand the test of back-and-forth until we ALL agree on the resultant.

Let's also be realistic, but don't limit yourself. Let's be practical but without any sacrifice on anything for the sake of safety & security most importantly.

HURRICANE-HOUSE

--------------------

FUTURE BUILDING SITE: N.O.

FOUNDATION SYSTEM: ?

FLOOR SYSTEM: ?

WALL SYSTEM: ?

ROOF SYSTEM: ?

DOORS & WINDOWS: ?

MOISTURE & THERMAL PROTECTION: ?

FORCE PROTECTION: ?

MECHANICAL SYSTEMS: ?

ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS: ?

Reply to
Saab Guy

[...]

It is absolutely possible, but I'm not sure it is economically feasible. I guess if you REALLY want to live in a below sea level area, it might be worth it to you.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Possibly, hence the use of reinforced concrete and the steel shutters.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

It should (like all others that need to be rebuilt) be placed in a different location that has stable soil, isn't below sea level and further inland so it isn't prone to the significant force of a hurricane coming ashore.

Reply to
George

Underground?

Reply to
CWatters

That thought, too, crossed my mind.

Underground would prevent *all* wind damage, but the house would have to be 110% waterproof/watertight, and have some type of above-ground ventilation system.

Notan

Reply to
Notan

Considering that no type of house is ever going to be absolutely safe, one might also plan for the type of statement you want made in your afterlife.

Upscale

House built into the side of a mountain that is above sea level. ~ preferably in a lesser earthquake zone.

Reply to
Upscale

I knew someone who lived in an underground house on a river plain. It was underwater at least a month out of the year. The entrance, power, water, etc. all came in from up the hill. The waste was pumped out to a holding tank that was emptied regularly.

It was a comfortable house too. No idea how it was constructed. I was a little young at the time or I would have inquired.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Yes, and if subjected to heavy wave action it would probably fail. Cat 3 Katrina tore up a lot of heavy duty structures. But even before those considerations it would cost way too much and would not pass residential codes because it would be an eyesore. A realistic house would have to be one at ground level that could survive immersion. I think that means a heavy stone/cement igloo shaped structure.

Reply to
Jim-Poncin

Versus the mountains that are below sea-level????????????????????

Reply to
Chris

While the wording *is* a bit ambiguous, I think he probably meant, not at the bottom of a mountain, whose base is at sea level.

Notan

Reply to
Notan

(in my best Python voice) " I would find it and fart in it!"

Reply to
Robatoy

Too dangerous... subs run into them...

Reply to
Robatoy

iisn't new orleans on a sand bar? make it too heavy and it will just sink when the ground gets saturated. a bunch of buildings did that on sand fill in san francisco during one of the big earthquakes.

Reply to
bridger