Hurricane-proof House

Page 2 of 8

A $10,000,000 budget.
Upscale wrote:

This is already provided, Joe Taxpayer is footing the bill.

Some of the codes for building at the shores take some of this into consideration already. Most have to be raised about eight feet and no utilities below that.
I'd probably use ICF construction. www.polysteel.com or www.integraspec.com While the outside may have superficial damage, the walls would not collapse. Shutters for the windows.
Plenty of supplies on hand, but I'd also have some sort of water filtration/purification system. Generator, of course, but I'm now sure that the best fuel would be. You'd want at least a two week fuel supply and something easily replenished if longer term is needed.
In the Keys it is assumed you can't evaculate, so they are built to withstand hurricanes. I don't know details, but they are all on piers with heavy storm shutters. Of course, they are above sealevel; not below it like NO. I suppose the piers would have to be 15' higher, which doesn't seem practical.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Add Composting toilets, solar electric power and a large water storage tank (3000+) Dome type concrete construction with garage on bottom with water flow through capability (open doors to let storm surge through) oh wait, I saw one of these on Discovery channel already built in Florida. Built to withstand over 300 mph winds.
Gary
Nehmo wrote:

I'd build it using reinforced concrete with metal shutters to close over the windows, it's own 30 day water supply and enough fuel to power a backup generator for that same amount of time, and I'd build it on columns at least 20' tall above the ground, or whatever the storm surge level from a cat 5 storm is expected to be in that area.
Matt
On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 20:54:44 GMT

This sounds possible though, not out of the question.
-
Saab Guy wrote:

It is absolutely possible, but I'm not sure it is economically feasible. I guess if you REALLY want to live in a below sea level area, it might be worth it to you.
Matt
Matt Whiting wrote:

And, while building it off the ground, to get out of harm's way of the water, aren't you exposing it to more potential wind damage?
Notan
On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 15:28:38 -0600

So let's do a FULL recap of this house. I am going to save this for future use and reference.
Let's fill in the blanks and develope this and have it stand the test of back-and-forth until we ALL agree on the resultant.
Let's also be realistic, but don't limit yourself. Let's be practical but without any sacrifice on anything for the sake of safety & security most importantly.
HURRICANE-HOUSE --------------------
FUTURE BUILDING SITE: N.O.
FOUNDATION SYSTEM: ?
FLOOR SYSTEM: ?
WALL SYSTEM: ?
ROOF SYSTEM: ?
DOORS & WINDOWS: ?
MOISTURE & THERMAL PROTECTION: ?
FORCE PROTECTION: ?
MECHANICAL SYSTEMS: ?
ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS: ?
Build it on a big mound of packed dirt with pilings to hold it all in place. Make the rest of the structural parts except doors and windows of heavily reinforced concrete.
Stretch
Notan wrote:

Possibly, hence the use of reinforced concrete and the steel shutters.
Matt

Yes, and if subjected to heavy wave action it would probably fail. Cat 3 Katrina tore up a lot of heavy duty structures. But even before those considerations it would cost way too much and would not pass residential codes because it would be an eyesore. A realistic house would have to be one at ground level that could survive immersion. I think that means a heavy stone/cement igloo shaped structure.
On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 22:10:29 GMT, "Jim-Poncin"

iisn't new orleans on a sand bar? make it too heavy and it will just sink when the ground gets saturated. a bunch of buildings did that on sand fill in san francisco during one of the big earthquakes.

No, it lies on delta muds and silts that slowly de-water, compact and subside. There are many tall masonry buildings in downtown N.O. that are on the same foundation.

Sure, but that can be overcome with engineering and $$$$. maybe lots of $$$$$$$$$$.
Don't build it in New Orleans.
Nehmo wrote:

It should (like all others that need to be rebuilt) be placed in a different location that has stable soil, isn't below sea level and further inland so it isn't prone to the significant force of a hurricane coming ashore.

Underground?
CWatters wrote:

That thought, too, crossed my mind.
Underground would prevent *all* wind damage, but the house would have to be 110% waterproof/watertight, and have some type of above-ground ventilation system.
Notan