How to find a local architect

Call your local AIA. Every single AIA refers architects looking for your kind of work, however large, however small. You can request several names so you can get several perspectives.

Galina.

PS. Service magic is fine for finding a plumber, IF that plumber has a lot of verifiable references that aren't his/her relatives. But for a registered architect in good standing , use the AIA.

Reply to
++

I disagree completely. There are many many good licensed Architects who are not AIA members. I get requests in the mail and on line to join the AIA every week (they must be hurting). I was a member for 4 years and went to many meetings. Lots of pontificating by the blowhards and little really done to help the Architect in the street. Expensive too. I do subscribe to their magazine as $50 is a lot cheaper than $500+ for Local plus AIA membership. Already the annual State required CE classes are $450+ and the license is around $100. I'm alone and nobody pays my way so they can have another AIA on the masthead. EDS

Reply to
EDS

Wrong. It is an excellent source (see post to Kris) The only way for an architect to be listed in the SM directory is for the architect to be in good standing and registered in the state in question. For example, I cannot be listed in NJ or Connecticut because I am not licensed there. I could get reciprocal registration in those states if I jump through the right burning hoops and pay my dues but that's for another discussion.

Reply to
Pierre Levesque

I can see your points for going the RA [Registered Architect] route, but I was talking about the difference between using Service Magic for some guy who considers himself a "designer" and a registered architect, thus the AIA. How about starting an at cost non profit for RAs?

In the unnecessary fees department, consider the NCARB certification. Why not just get reciprocity when you need it?

THere's a whole science to cadging CE credits on the cheap or for free. For example, reading certain articles in the Architectural Record at your local library and answering a few questions about them online cadges you a buncha CEs, attendance at AUTOCADD and like venders for a day gets you a bunch more, taking part in a BS session, aka "charette" can often grab a bunch more. There is a whole art ot getting your CEs for free.

We could also discuss the expensive racket of becoming a provider of CEs?

Reply to
++

I've had some difficulties using contractors from Service Magic but I will look into the provider end.

Reply to
++

You talking about contractors or RA's? I think the only level a contractor needs to prove to be a SM member is insurance. That and the fact that there are 1000X more "contractors" (or so they claim) to architects, you'd think the chance of getting rotten eggs would be stronger no?

Reply to
Pierre Levesque

That's another HUGE rip-off. $500.00 so that they can keep a file of your record. unreal. Their claim is that once you have the NCARB certification on record, reciprocity is an easy process between states who allow reciprocity.

But guess what, to get that cert, you need to jump through all sorts of burning hoops to complete the application. Grades going back to highschool, referral letters from employers and peers, stae registration papers proving good standing and more.

The alternative to getting certified? Obtaining reciprocity through the state where you are applying directly through their state board, via "professional credentials". The requirement? Identical to NCARB requirements -- grades going back to highschool, referral letters from employers and peers, state registration papers proving good standing. The only difference? You got it. 500 bux in your pocket.

Reply to
Pierre Levesque

Actually, I prefer the NCARB route. It may cost more $$$, but time is $$$ and we've found it easy and relatively painless to use NCARB for our reciprocity needs.

Reply to
3D Peruna

SM has been worthless to us. We're no longer listed, nor do we use them for leads.

Reply to
3D Peruna

Oh well, sorry to hear it. Maybe not much listing in your area? As you know, they've been good for 2-3 jobs/year for the past 4 years for me...

Reply to
Pierre Levesque

I admit that if reciprocity is needed over multiple states that NCARB would indeed facilitate the repeated application processes.

Reply to
Pierre Levesque

"Pierre Levesque" wrote in news:oylOj.1401$Mm1.1180@trndny07:

From my (consumer) POV, it seems like "another tool that its useful to know about". In all things, there is the rule of "Caveat Emptor", but Pierre's info about it is, to someone such as myself, the most useful.

- K.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

Yep, fer shure, but it is sometimes better to get the job then get reciprocity. Sometimes boards get efficient if they know there's a pressing engagement

Reply to
++

EDS You are right. There are many good architects that don't belong to the AIA. I am one of those. I get the requests in the mail and on line also quite often. I suppose that the other architects that don't belong also receive the same. Not only do you have to pay for the national membership but you also have to add the local fee also. Not to mention the cost of each monthly meeting.

CID...

Reply to
Chuck News

Most people just don't get it. The AIA ( American Institute of Architects ) is a professional organization similar to ASCE ( American Society of Civil Engineers ), SEA ( Structural Engineers Association ) which are professional originations for engineers. What is necessary is to be licensed to practice architecture in the state or states you have an architectural practice and will be the architect of record ( this is a legal record of responsibility ). In order to be licensed architects in a state you have to take the states professional exam and you can't practice until this exam is passed. To be licensed in another state you can do it by reciprocity which proves that you have passed the requirements in your primary state. You have to have this legally to be named/called as an architect. If you don't have this you will be only a architectural designer of which can not belong to the AIA and are limited to the types of buildings you design.

CID...

Reply to
Chuck News

I have done quite a bit of work out of state, but have always worked along with architects who are licensed in those states. I have a couple of friends who seem to have AIA licensenitis and over the years become registered in many states. EDS

Reply to
EDS

Who are you talking to?

The AIA ( American Institute of

Duh.

I'm pretty darn sure all states use the same exam. Some may add specific sections, but the basic exam is the same. NCARB or not.

To be licensed in another state you can do it by reciprocity

What's the problem? I'm pretty sure most people get this, not as you said, most people don't.

Reply to
3D Peruna

We tried the "only pay for the leads you want" route. The problem was by the time we figured out what they really wanted/needed wasn't an architect (or had an unrealistic expectation of what $200,000 would buy them in construction costs), we'd have paid for their education. It wasn't worth it.

We worked with SM for a bit to target things tighter, but all we got in our area were bathroom remodel type leads.

Reply to
3D Peruna

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com:

?South Carolina? ;)

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

[ ... ]

Cousin. Well, I'm sending her all of the info everyone's been kind enough to provide in this thread, so we'll see ;)

Ah - yup, good places to utilize the experience you got in Florida with hurricane resistance. Kind of an interesting area.

Reply to
Kris Krieger