How Architecture Helped Music Evolve - a talk by David Byrne

Great - and I mean Tony the Tiger Greeeeeaaaaaaaaaat! - web site.

RicodJour

I watch a lot of TED talks via You Tube. Maybe I should check out the site, itself, more. I'm downloading the video to view later (via YT, since my downloader doesn't catch on the TED Talks website).

Reply to
Warm Worm

David Byrne did a remarkable job, a great presentation. I don't know too much about Talking Heads, but did see an enjoyable film of or about theirs back in the 80's (while a couple of friends opted to see 'Top Gun' in the other theatre). I do like the end of 'Burning Down the House'. :)

One other memorable TED talk I saw recently was about beauty:

Warm Worm

A couple of buddies of mine came back from a Halloween show at The Rat in Boston back in 1977, and were singing this wacky song a band had performed at the show.

I can't seem to face up to the facts I'm tense and nervous and I Can't relax I can't sleep 'cause my bed's on fire Don't touch me I'm a real live wire

Psycho Killer Qu'est-ce que c'est fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa far better Run run run run run run run away

Everybody was saying what a weird song it was, but they _liked_ it.

RicodJour

Didn't know the song by name, but do know it. It's actually not too bad.

Reply to
Warm Worm

I loved that big suit of his. He said he came up with the idea when someone told him that in show business everything had to be larger than life. :)

David Byrne is a true musical genius. He was never overly concerned with commercial success (but did just fine thank you very much) and the people that were clamoring to collaborate with him are also all musical and artistic geniuses. So much for opposites attract.

His life makes for some interesting reading.

couple quotes from that link: From a young age, Byrne had a strong interest in music. His parents say that he would constantly play his phonograph from age three and he learned how to play the harmonica at age five.[3] In his journals he says, "I was a peculiar young man =97 borderline Asperger's, I would guess."[4][5]

and I know you'll like this one: Cycling Byrne is known for his activism in support of increased cycling, and for having used a bike as his main means of transport for most of his life, especially cycling around New York. He has a regular cycling column in the New York Times.

He's one of my heroes. I was at SOBs in NYC one New Years Eve in the late '80's, and he was at a table there. I wanted to go talk to him, but I couldn't get up the nerve, so I just smiled and nodded and he nodded back. Made my night.

RicodJour

Hey, thats in the area where I'm from. Used to be a place where old people went to die. Now it's a place to go to to get robbed.

----despair----

Reply to
creative1986

Cool. I scanned some of his Wiki bio and it does look like he's "all over the place". :)

Funny about that nerve thing when you're young, and change in general... First time I've seen Byrne with the gray hair and it looks good.

Reply to
Warm Worm

right?

Ken & Lynne

To echo Don's 'robbed' comment; it seems the banks kind of robbed more than a few in these mortgage deals. Here, Kunstler mentions this kind of despair too:

(TED talks. I know you have dialup, but can you download it while you sleep or does dialup auto-cutoff at some point? Maybe Lynne can watch it while you sleep or vice-versa.)

Reply to
Warm Worm

I thought you were a stargazer. You do realize that everything started out there, right? The trick is in getting UPS to relax their volatile shipping restrictions and allow the methane and other fuel- like items to be brought here to Earth at a reasonable price. With a guaranteed three day delivery.

Did you see the recent articles about bird navigation relying on quantum entanglement and their vision? Google 'cryptochrome'.

Hit a nerve? There's enough blame to go around, Ken, and always has been, but the financial and banking sectors have the lion share of the blame for the recent situation due to their greed and I'm-smarter-than- the-system mentality.

Are those the McMansions Don designed, or other ones?

RicodJour

ou

Those guys have a plausible explanation for why they're approaching the release and announcement of their 'breakthrough', but unfortunately it's got the taint of taint from similar-sounding shenanigans. Would be tremendous if it's real. OPEC would become a major purveyor of sand.

I'm not sure I understand how you equate creating whacked out financial instruments that nobody could keep track of and crude oil prices. We did not have anything like the current mortgage/financial fiasco back in 1979/1980 when oil prices were in inflation-adjusted similar territory. The recessions in the mid 70's and early 80's were resulting as much, if not more, from outside pressure than internal malfeasance. The current situation is more akin to 'friendly fire' casualties. Like Dick Cheney shooting his hunting buddy in the face and then getting the guy to apologize to _him_.

There are always people that need/want to have work done. There's actually quite a bit of work going on around here, even in the dead of winter. If people can't buy and move, they stay put and improve.

RicodJour