House Hunters

Page 2 of 2

Some waste treatment plants (the tertiary plants) are self-powering - they use the methane produced during the treatment process. WHen you see the pits where solids settle out and dry, you see a lot fo tomato plants. I suppose one doesn't see as many pot plants as used to be seen (they of course had to destroy those).
The methane from trash dumps can also be used as energy - thre is that one commercial for Johnson 'n' Johnson, where they tout the ne plant which is doing that, but in some developing areas, it's becoming fairly common, if I read correctly, becasue they have a lot of trash but little money for buying oil.

More naysayers. The same idiots who told me this, that, and the other idea was "stupid", and what do I see but solar-powered fountains, and vertical-blade wind-powered turbines.
People are very good when it comes to insisting somethign "won't work" for no other reason than it hasn't been done a million times before. Most, tho', aren't smart enogh to know the difference between recklessness and innovation.
Personally, I don;t like grout, it looks kind of grungy to me and it's a pain in th ebucket to deal with - gotta seal teh crap every year or it sucks up stains like a sponge.

THe image I got in my mind certainly is not appealing to *me* =:-p

Works for builders I gues, but IMO, if I wanted to see cement, I'd put in a cement floor.
ANyhoo, that answers that - Thanks! Another useful tidbit to add to my file ;)

ALso, isn't most resedential tile ceramic? Even if it's stone, how much does either stone ro ceramic tile expand/contract?
I'd also imagine that, if the stuff were to go through extremes, they'd use, not grout, but somehting like the mastic that was used between the coping on our pool (which is a type of travartine IIRC) and gets *quite* ho despite the light colors, and the decking, which is formuated to remain foot-comfrtable even on days with 100+ degree F temps and a full clodless day's worth of subtropical (29 deg N) sunlight...

floor". So I'm going in for laminate as well.
floor".

floor". So I'm going in for laminate as well.

Don't get those over here in Oz - just small establishments selling mostly army personal gear at astronomical prices :-( Years ago working on building sites in the UK, it often looked like the army was putting the buildings up - everyone wearing cheap army surplus.

Hmmm great stuff - I remember its characteristic smell - but having trouble sourcing it :-(

Maybe I'll ask the contractor who cleans my office workplace. They run them until they blow, but yes the motor looks the same as a couple of tumble-drier motors I have lying around. Might be easier to find than one of those little Hoover devices with twin brushes. I have one of those, at least 40 years old, still going fine but a bit on the light side.

In some cases, paint color is significant - I looked at one house, back in Massachusetts, where *every* room was painted with *very* dark colors - one was a super-dark burgundy color, another was a super-dark pine green, all the hallways were a shadeof blue that was so dark it almost looked black, anotehr was a dark tomato-type red, and so on. There was no way I could have lived with those colors, so, if the rest of the house had been such that I'd wanted it,. I'd take $$ off the offer to pay for the repainting, or demand that it be repainted - which would involve a hell of a lot more, goven teh colors, than just slapping up one coat of paint. Then there are the places that are completely wallpapered inside with all sorts of floras and stripes and paisleys and so on. THat has to be stripped and then the walls repainted (merely painting over wallpaper eventually leads to peeling wallpaper underneath the paint, which looks really trashy and, esp. inwarm climates, is a breeding ground for spiders and whatnot).
Before looking down on those who want move-in condition, remember that most people can't pay for two homes at the same time, or for that matter, afford to pay for an apartemnt plus furniture storage, IOW living ion one place while fixing up another - especially if you're moving 2000 miles. OK, yes, if one wall in a kitchen is some ghastly blood-red color (seen that :p ), or if one hallway is wallpapered, or something of a similarly- modest scale, such as a kitchen faucet, it can be dealt with, but it's very different to deal with a whole house.
And frankly, there is simply no excuse for a house to *not* be in move-in condition, other than that some people are lazy f**ks and trash their places, then think they can demand top dollar for the dump - seen that, too, places you walk into that stink, have black crud in all the corners, filthy appliances, and so on, filth that make you want to take a shower after you leave. The situation ther eis similar to the idea of "merely" painting - moving a houshold is hard enough to coordinate, without having to spend a couple weeks cleaning and disinfecting and fumigating and so on, which is literally what no small number of places really would require.
They never show those places on HGTV, of course, but the large number of crapholes passed off as "homes" for sale is why people are so happy to walk into a place that's clean and has well-coordinated colors.
As for furnishings, it's called "staging" and, like it or not, the fact is that a lot fo people really have little or no ability to picture what a place could look like with their own furniture, or with different stuff, and so on. The other aspect is that, if you walk into a place, and it's dirty with trash all over, it immediately makes one suspect that the rest of the house has been similarly un-maintained. Of course, a nicelyt-staged place is also no guarantee, and that's where most poeple fall down - it looks nice, so they forgo a thorough inspection, only to find out, *after* they've moved in, that the fouindation is shot and the place is riddled with termites, and/or that other serious problems exist.
Flips are, of course, a problem - the general principle is "Slap some lipstick on that pig, and somebody'll buy it". But MIO, buyers have to use their heads, and if a buyer doesn't, well, it's no diofferent from teh guy I knew who gave some street-seller $50 bucks for a packaged boom- box, only to find out that the new-looking shrink-wrapped packaging had phone books in it to give it the heft of a boom-box. Caveat emptor.