House-Design Notes

Page 3 of 4

http://www.vhemt.org
...but there's no need to rush things along.

How did you arrive at this site? Did you know of it before or did you do some kind of search after my post. Speaking of searches, I checked out the person who did some of the site's cartoons, and she's also interested in libre file sharing and challenging the notions of copyright. It's interesting how individual attitudes, if they are similar in one avenue, can be similar across others as well.

I ran across that site on a cycling newsgroup, I believe, about six or eight months ago.

Sorry to hear about your possible salmonella. Was that a free range? I've had what might have been salmonella before too. What fun. Alas, I'm in Ottawa again (can't wait to get out), and it's unlikely I'll be back in Vancouver soon, or even again. I'm still interested in Halifax and maybe part or full-time overseas in the medium-to-long term, and even Mexico as I have a Mexican friend there possibly interested in a joint venture, maybe a cafe. Although she likes BC. Kelowna Kafe? Anyway, we'll see. Lot's of tough changes coming up for me and the rest of the planet.

Unsure about the lost-professional-lowerIQ-higher-corruption theory, but true about the bugs. The relative lack of mosquitoes and black flies was quite a pleasant surprise when I first moved out there... (I can see how a naturalist might appreciate that even more.) I wonder about Halifax in this regard. I don't recall those bugs last time I was there, but I was mostly downtown.

That's encouraging about Halifax. What I like about it in my brief time there was its more human-scaled (not too big) size and relatively flat geography (good for biking/blading) until you hit downtown, where it's sloped, which lends some fun, interest and character. And of course there's also Citadel Hill overlooking. The architecture's nicer and older than Vancouver's too and the city seems fairly clean and well-kept, without feeling sterile (perhaps like Ottawa).
How did you find those 3 you visited? Which one did you prefer? I'd like to do St. John's, even though in pictures it looks kind of bleak, despite the pretty colourful houses and pleasant-looking downtown.

Probably just about everybody has something at one time or another. Much of that stuff comes from all the handling that occurs from the time food is first procurred up til its delivered to the supper table. More hands = more chance of contagions. Eat lower on the web.
2 major difference in my eating habits since going rural. Hardly ever eat fast food, maybe once every 3-6 months. The only fast food joint within an hour of me is a McDonalds and its always slammed, so I very rarely go there - maybe 3 times in 4 years. I no longer consume soft drinks, maybe one every 3- 6 months. Last night was movie night here and I almost broke down and had one. But didn't, had water as usual.

Free range is not free and it's not a range. Read Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma.
BTW, is a ducumentary what McScrooge produces?

If I read every book that everyone recommended, I'd have little time for anything else, but thanks for it nevertheless. I will at least try to read some reviews of it, since it's part of what's on my "menu" that's important these days, that's interrelated.
Please feel free if you would like to offer a brief elaboration on what you mean. (Perhaps I'll tentatively assume that the range is not so big and is enclosed.)

Are you the same Rico who likes Leonard Cohen and went to his concert? What kind of bikes do you have/had? I'm blading because I've had one too many mountain bikes stolen, but I'd still like to get back to it. Despite my blading fall yesterday, though, blading has so far proven far safer so far.

Soft bushes with hard sticks hidden inside can render you infertile and blind. I picked up 2 free bikes on craigslist awhile back for a couple little projects I have in mind. Now I need to find a cheap welding rig. I want to build a small trailer I can pull with my lawn tractor. I also want to build a unicycle with handlebars as I think it would be easier to ride with handlebars. And I want to recreate a bike I made when I was a teen. Remove the front forks and seat post, turn the fram upside down, reinstall the forks but add extensions to them. Make a new, longer seat post with extensions down to the rear wheel. You end up with a really tall bike, that you have to run alongside of and then climb up on it. The seat will be about 6-8' above the ground. I need some more free bikes for extra parts. Been 20 years or more since I last rode a bike.

Been 20 years and 1 day since I wrecked one. I crossed over from the street to the sidewalk and there was a curb hidden by the overgrown grass. The front tire rode alongside the hidden curb, at highspeed, and my wife said it looked like I was in slowmotion as I went all the way over the handlebars. I was a young dood then. If I did that today something would most likely break. heh

BBC news had a car commercial just before that clip. Maybe they can "oxy5" it with a gas-station and long hose to the mainland or a supply of new GM personal gas-powered submarine Hummers. They can go anywhere. Too big to fail.

I could have simply responded here that just because the relayer wants me to believe the data doesn't mean that it is false nor that they believe it is. I came back to this post in part because of the results of some independent surfing:
"The program traces the development of game theory with particular reference to the work of John Nash (famous from "Beautiful Mind"), who believed that all humans were inherently suspicious and selfish creatures that strategized constantly. Using this as his first premise, Nash constructed logically consistent and mathematically verifiable models, for which he won the Nobel Prize in Economics... These games were internally coherent and worked correctly as long as the players obeyed the ground rules that they should behave selfishly and try to outwit their opponents, but when RAND's analysts tried the games on their own secretaries, they instead chose not to betray each other, but to cooperate every time... ...What was not known at the time was that Nash was suffering from paranoid schizophrenia, and, as a result, was deeply suspicious of everyone around him-- including his colleagues-- and was convinced that many were involved in conspiracies against him. It was this mistaken belief that led to his view of people as a whole that formed the basis for his theories. Footage of an older and wiser Nash was shown in which he acknowledges that his paranoid views of other people at the time were false."
This quote should appeal, too, to your interest in logic.
But wait, there's more... (and you may find it unnerving)
"Curtis examines how game theory was used to create the USA's nuclear strategy during the Cold War. Because no nuclear war occurred, it was believed that game theory had been correct in dictating the creation and maintenance of a massive American nuclear arsenal because the Soviet Union had not attacked America with its nuclear weapons, the supposed deterrent must have worked and the theories would later be propagated through other segments of society."
Both quotes from: http://freedocumentaries.org/int.php?filmID=152
Warm Worm> wrote:

Naturally. Betrayal has a possible one-time benefit, but cooperation has a potentially lifetime benefit.

Exactly. Some things are so glaringly obvious to some but not to others.

Like the global warming scare, peak oil may be a fabrication as well. In the amazing world of the innertoobz if you search long enough you can prove AND dispel anything. But there is a general rule of modern life that goes something like this: "Follow the money" IOW, who will gain the most by widespreading the notion of peak oil? For the answer, watch the daily market signals mounted right out front of every gas station across the land. Currently, 'round here, it stands at 2.83 and climbing. The theory is that when things get scarce they get expensive.

If you do enough good research, your picture can become clearer and some possibilities looking more dubious than they did before.

Knowing when to shut up. Knowing how to listen. Knowing how to learn from people that know more, and less, than you. Giving people the benefit of the doubt. Believing that there are positive forces at work, and acting like it.

Google Groups alt.architecture is getting a lot of spam lately, so I've had to sift more than usual to find this thread...
Funding seems to imply money, although I'm not necessarily against money, just its corruption. (So what else is new?) While I've wished for and pondered quick and effective self-correcting mechanisms for that sort of thing, we do have it in nature's revolts (global warming?), political/ideological revolutions (Cuba?), and wars (WW2?), etc., where not everyone/eveything survives or comes up roses. I guess that's the fundamental truth, ay? As for sci-research, in this light, I might inquire as to what kind do we need, but then what would it matter to our dreams or nightmares as long as we're around to have them?
"Courage and Cowards move, heroes to ecstasy Welcomes of war and wounds, vigil and victory Structures of atoms dance, sugar towards the taster Prey to the predator, love as we're falling down Through light and laughter flow, to dirge and death we go Mindless processions move, lanterns of burning towns Welcome to fray and feast, bliss in all sorrows found..." -- From the tune, Adorations, by Killing Joke

"Fundamental truth"? How about; 'whatever happens, nature will make the final determination' and/or 'we might get pretty screwed if we don't get our acts together before that happens'?

I'm in a public library in a foreign country with all kinds of children running around. What would be your advice on opening that link? ...BTW, there's this particular, most likely male, kid who has been carrying around and pushing in a stroller his younger baby sibling brother(?) all over the place. Who says guys (or children for that matter) don't have strong nurturing instincts? :) He just briefly sat down right near me with his sibling(?) on his lap looking quizzically at me on my laptop, perhaps because I noticed and smiled at them as they went by the umpteenth time with their stroller.