Home Inspector and State Hazards

"The range of hazards faced by home inspectors in the course of examining b= uildings is considerable. It includes obvious catastrophes such as falling = off of a roof or electrocution, and less obvious or less likely events such= as structural collapse, exposure to bacterial hazards, fungal hazards, or = even physical attack by violent building occupants, biting dogs, sneaky sna= kes, and pecking parrots.

Home inspectors and other professional building diagnosticians are expected= to be observant and attentive to detail. Despite these skills, accidents h= appen to inspectors. Ladder falls lead to injuries or death

Home inspectors and other building investigators and workers spend a lot of= time on ladders. Our photographs (above and left) illustrate some of the c= razy things people do to gain ladder access to areas of buildings. Above a = worker attempts to steady a ladder placed on a table top. At left, a ladder= catapult has been designed and placed into use in Tapalpa, Mexico.

A Canadian home inspector fell to his death during a roofing inspection. He= was ascending a high ladder which he suspected was unsafe. Following a hom= e inspection in New Paltz, NY, Ballinger, a real estate agent who was angry= with the results of the inspection, attacked and attempted to kill Steve V= ermilye by driving his car off of the pavement, across a sidewalk, crashing= into a building wall where Vermilye was walking. Another home inspector wa= s badly injured when an attic fold-down stair fell out of its opening as th= e inspector was climbing it.

Hazards that an inspector should recognize affect other people too. An aggr= essive tenant threatened two elderly inspection clients with a rifle and th= en showered them with stones. An electrical inspector was killed by an elec= trical arc explosion while removing the cover of an electrical panel. A plu= mber was killed while leaning over a water pressure tank that, lacking a pr= essure relief valve, exploded.

We will list some of the more egregious and more interesting of these dange= rous building hazards, review accident case histories, and we will illustra= te procedures of attention, observation, and hazard recognition that can re= duce the chances of accidents during building inspections." ~ Inspectapedia

Irony aside, I wonder if home inspectors hung up their hats for good, along= with their state systems, and thus kept their schnozes out of people's liv= es, there'd be less inspector, and people accidents.=20 It seems fundamentally dangerous to be snooping around unwanted and unneede= d in unfamiliar places and circumstances.

Reply to
Warm Worm

Warm Worm wrote: It seems fundamentally dangerous to be snooping around unwanted and unneeded in unfamiliar places and circumstances. ===========================

Depends on the necessity of the inspection I suppose and the relationship between all the people involved, the inspector, the person that hired him, and the owner of the property.

We hired an inspector to inspect our current home prior to purchasing it. He was recommended by our realtor whom I assumed had the right to do so. I learned a few things in the process, er, thereafter.

While our home is not large it is complex enough that no inspection can be absolutely complete. Several rather serious situations were discovered after the fact that the inspector failed to notice.

An old skool builder told me once, "You can't hire quality construction, but you can supervise it."

It wasn't until I hired people to build my own home that I realized the wisdom in his truth filled words.

Reply to
creative1986

nwanted and unneeded in unfamiliar places and circumstances.

between all the people involved, the inspector, the person that hired him,= and the owner of the property.

He was recommended by our realtor whom I assumed had the right to do so. I= learned a few things in the process, er, thereafter.

e absolutely complete. Several rather serious situations were discovered af= ter the fact that the inspector failed to notice.

but you can supervise it."=20

isdom in his truth filled words.

I meant the kind of BI who is unwanted or unneeded-- perhaps some kinds of = building inspectors sent to enforce building codes. Unsure, but apparently,= there's a requirement for a nose on the tread of a stairs. If so, I'm agai= nst it because I often get my toe caught under it and trip. If an inspector= legally forced their way into my home and required me to add a nose, I'd c= ertainly challenge it.

Reply to
Warm Worm

Warm Worm a exposé le 07/10/2012 :

Bof..

Reply to
Jean-Arnaud Leg***

[...]

Agreed WW. Here's a funny story about building in India...

Ken S. Tucker

unwanted and unneeded in unfamiliar places and circumstances.

ip between all the people involved, the inspector, the person that hired hi= m, and the owner of the property.

t. He was recommended by our realtor whom I assumed had the right to do so.= I learned a few things in the process, er, thereafter.

be absolutely complete. Several rather serious situations were discovered = after the fact that the inspector failed to notice.

, but you can supervise it."=20

wisdom in his truth filled words.

f building inspectors sent to enforce building codes. Unsure, but apparentl= y, there's a requirement for a nose on the tread of a stairs. If so, I'm ag= ainst it because I often get my toe caught under it and trip. If an inspect= or legally forced their way into my home and required me to add a nose, I'd= certainly challenge it.

We have pine wood stairs in the house and I learned right away to not go do= wn them with socks on my feets. There is a nosing but I've never had an iss= ue about it. As far as I'm concerned you should have your stairs any way yo= u want them, after they belong to you. As you know I don't advocate other p= eople dictating anything about your property. If thats the way it has to be= then what's the point in owning anything? In fact, that changes the shape = of the word *own*. YOU get to pay for it but OTHER people get to tell you w= hat.=20

Anyway, here in the US nobody gets to own real property any more. They just get to use it as long as they pay ransom for the privilege.

Reply to
creative1986

From that article: "provide extra margins of tolerance (ie a 'sloppy fit')" and "not design a= nything that requires total precision"=20

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

You don't have to spend much time on a construction site these days to real= ize that is true. Ever seen a dimension like this ( 7'-3 1/8" )on a set of = framing plans? Guess what? There is no 1/8" when framing a building, and an= yone that claims there is is simply pointing out an error, not a degree of = accuracy.

Reply to
creative1986

[...]

See my new post that I'm about to post.

Reply to
Warm Worm

nd unwanted and unneeded in unfamiliar places and circumstances.

ship between all the people involved, the inspector, the person that hired = him, and the owner of the property.

it. He was recommended by our realtor whom I assumed had the right to do s= o. I learned a few things in the process, er, thereafter.

an be absolutely complete. Several rather serious situations were discovere= d after the fact that the inspector failed to notice.

on, but you can supervise it."=20

he wisdom in his truth filled words.

of building inspectors sent to enforce building codes. Unsure, but apparen= tly, there's a requirement for a nose on the tread of a stairs. If so, I'm = against it because I often get my toe caught under it and trip. If an inspe= ctor legally forced their way into my home and required me to add a nose, I= 'd certainly challenge it.

down them with socks on my feets. There is a nosing but I've never had an i= ssue about it. As far as I'm concerned you should have your stairs any way = you want them, after they belong to you. As you know I don't advocate other= people dictating anything about your property. If thats the way it has to = be then what's the point in owning anything? In fact, that changes the shap= e of the word *own*. YOU get to pay for it but OTHER people get to tell you= what.=20

The state-corporate oligarchy of course is unsustainable and eating itself = as we write. Ramp those gardens up!=20 A little after I moved to a small town here in NS, so did Kunstler, putting= his talk to the walk, arriving in Greenwich Village apparently. The houses will be ours again because they have to be.

Reply to
Warm Worm

Sometimes I think about how life will be, after. You know, you'll be on your property minding your own business and a highwa= yman will appear to let you know about the new assembly that was formed and= he would be back at a later time to collect the dues that are required.

Right then is when freedom must be defended. He, of the chaste cast, believes his clan is doing you well but you know hi= m to be nothing more than a common thief with a threat. So you dispatch him= at once and dispose of the carcass permanently without trace and go on abo= ut your business. In time another highway man will appear....

Somewhere in the past people stopped defending liberty and the decline of f= reedom began. =20

Reply to
creative1986

You should go to The Oil Drum if you're not already there. The Drumbeat's c= omments section. There are those there-- myself included-- who think or sus= pect that there may not be any humans left when this all shakes out. That's= how dire our situation is as a species, Don.

But, ya, highwaymen, kings, cops, military and the collective/clueless hall= ucinations... I look at my 20$ bill and it has an image of this entity some= call 'the queen': Essentially, a glorified welfare recipient's image on cu= rrency. Quite a bizarre species, these humans. I wouldn't miss us, save for= all our trippy stories cast in the fossil record.

I made a comment over on YouTube this week about mother nature:

You can't beat reality for a trip. Too strong for the druggies.

Reply to
Warm Worm