Historic Skywalks in NYC (Again)

Page 2 of 2

Lee Ayrton wrote:

Coming late to this thread, but I'm delighted by the increase in second-story walkways in both downtown St. Paul and downtown Lexington, allowing one to take multi-block strolls without any need to interact with traffic or worry about the weather.
Charles

There's an argument in Calgary that too many walkways have helped spoil downtown street life. Street-level retail suffers, people don't sit in cafes watching the world go by, the streets feel a bit empty and unwelcoming. You have to go to a bit outside the downtown -- 17th Avenue S.W., Kensington -- to find vibrant street life, and Calgarians tend to flock there because of it.
--
bill
remove my country for e-mail

http://www.lowridermagazine.com/features/0802_lrmp_cho_low_1948_chevrolet_fleetline/photo_02.html
Ordinarily, I'd say you were right, except for the fact that the guy in the window looks like my Uncle Charlie, the paperhanger. That would definitely date the photo in the 1920's.
Why my uncle was hanging paper on the outside of the building remains a mystery.
Don
on Tue, 7 Oct 2008 20:44:52 -0400:

Moonlighting as a window cleaner. That's a squeegee he's holding.
--
Nick Spalding

wrote

My Uncle Charlie used his squeegee to squeeze out the paste and make the wallpaper hang flat.
Don
In alt.fan.cecil-adams snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

A friend asks "any chance a higher-rez scan available?", and that's a good point. Rather than introducing more noise into the image by trying to blow it up, if there's a pre-blown-up one already available, that'll make things easier...
--
Huey

The real question should be: with all his money, why is Anthony Hopkins washing windows?
On Oct 6, 2:37pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Try the New York Historical Society. They might be able to point you in the right direction. https://www.nyhistory.org/web /