Hardie board/shingle

Page 2 of 2

lol
Yeah, I understood that. Just having my fun. I had a hard day.

<knowing it's a tough room, MichaelB resists the obvious setup, and drinks some water>

I was not aware that "Hardie" products came pre-painted. I have used the 4'x8' sheets, stucco finish, with the trim pieces, but they came pre-primered not painted. After 8 years my project is looking fine. I have seen where the product has "rotted" if allowed to be covered with moist organic material. The board becomes crumbly, but the finished suface retains paint and general look.
GMDuggan wrote:

I wonder how the plant takes to English ivy...

Planks and panels come in 6 light 'standard' colors and 14 others, mostly deeper and quite nice, if a bit 'safe'. Trim and soffits come in 7.

Ouch. By 'covered' do you mean buried at grade, or leave-muck at gutters?
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

The product failures I have seen were errant pieces of scrap. Judging from that I would not use in any ground contact situation. Leaf muck at gutters shouldnt be a problem as the muck would be in the gutter and/or on the roof and any spillage would dry. However, similar lack of maintainace, such as allowing leaf materials to build up behind shrubs, might cause failure. I have not had any failures of painted surface or finish on installed product.

OTOH, letting things become damaged usually causes pretty much *anything* to fail...

Not paint failure, I didn't think it'd been around long enough to see that...? Tho' I've seen algal growth in the north-facing sides of some local homes.