Hardie board/shingle

To understand how it wood fail ; ) Paint on aluminum tends to fail by going powdery, but hangs on for a long time after it's failed. (Ever seen bare aluminum siding?) Bare aluminum oxidizes to a fairly stable oxide coating. Vinyl tends to fade, but since it's got 'through color' you don't see a foreign color after failure, but a related color. After that, I'm not sure what happens to vinyl.

Somebody else posted that fiber cement will 'crumble'. Any experience with that?

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

"Michael Bulatovich" wrote in news:fq44ar0s25 @news1.newsguy.com:

Not paint failure, I didn't think it'd been around long enough to see that...? Tho' I've seen algal growth in the north-facing sides of some local homes.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

That poster said the stuff was _buried_. You're not supposed to bury any type of siding, including brick, so that's a non-issue. I am still not quite sure what you are looking for, Michael. It's a painted siding. Painting requires maintenance and periodic renewal. The Hardie stuff takes and holds paint far longer than wood. It's durable. You won't find many complaints about it because there's not much to complain about. If you don't want to paint, get a plastic siding. It'll look like plastic and you'll be extremely limited in your choice of colors.

The Hardipanel is a godsend if you like the look of stucco, but you can't afford stucco and/or want to do it yourself. Covering the exposed seams with Harditrim (or whatever it's called), and throwing in a few extra pieces does a good job of imitating a half-timbered look. As in everything, it's all in the details - construction details, not esthetic details. If you install if correctly you'll probably get eight years out of a paint job, depending on climate, which is about double the life of painted wood.

RicodJour

Actually, he said "be covered with moist organic material", not "buried."

That could happen at a roof-to-wall joint.

(Note that quoting of *your* posts is done in the usual manner?)

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

That's still buried. No angels dance on the heads of my pins, thank you.

Thank you, I appreciate that. Consistency is a virtue and it's time for you to come back into the fold.

RicodJour

I added the add-on suggested by Rusty. It seems to run a session of OE inside itself, and takes care of the formatting issue, but seems to have other little glitches in it, like not recognizing a hyperlink's tartget in a post...not sure how long I'll stick with it...may go back to my equal signs. Explanation is below, apparently the posters are set to "Plain Text, Quoted Printable" format which helps for pretty-printing, but who prints NG posts?

SYMPTOMS When you reply to or forward a message that was composed using "Plain Text, Quoted Printable" format in Outlook Express, there is not a quote character at the beginning of each line of text that is included from the message you received. Back to the top

CAUSE This is a side effect of the "Plain Text, Quoted Printable" format in the message you received. Back to the top

MORE INFORMATION Generally, you see a quote character (such as ">") on each line of the message you are quoting. For this to work, there must be a pair (\\r\\n) at the end of each line.

When a message is sent using "Plain Text, Quoted Printable" format, an equal sign is added to the end of the line to let the browser know that the line continues. Therefore, there is only one quote character at the beginning of each paragraph quoted.

The main purpose of "Plain Text, Quoted Printable" format is to allow for line wrapping. When you send mail on the Internet, you can send only 80 characters on a line of text. To provide word-wrap capability, the lines are packaged in "Plain Text, Quoted Printable" format. This ends each line with an equal sign to indicate that it continues to the next line.

begin 666 uparrow.gif M1TE&.#EA"@`*`/

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

The product failures I have seen were errant pieces of scrap. Judging from that I would not use in any ground contact situation. Leaf muck at gutters shouldnt be a problem as the muck would be in the gutter and/or on the roof and any spillage would dry. However, similar lack of maintainace, such as allowing leaf materials to build up behind shrubs, might cause failure. I have not had any failures of painted surface or finish on installed product.

Reply to
GMDuggan

GMDuggan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e60g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

OTOH, letting things become damaged usually causes pretty much *anything* to fail...

Reply to
Kris Krieger