Graphite on Trace

I did some design drawings today for a client on this stuff. Haven't done that in a very long time. It was fun, but I lost the mini cigarette butt in my lead pointed, and my 'scum bag'.

I was never the best draftsman on paper, but I must say I'm not the worst either. Anyone still drawing on paper?

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

I have a manual drafting class tomorrow night. :) I feel like I'm back in high school. I was dismayed at first (thought it might be AutoCAD) until I realized that I could get a really nice drawing-- plans, 3D, dimensions, titleblock, logo, the whole thing-- then frame it as art. I very much like architectural drawings as art.

Reply to
Warm Worm

I was thinking, if I ever design my own home, I will do it by hand, and frame the drawings for the study afterward :). That's a BIG if :).

Reply to
Edgar

My plotter does all the paper drawing for me :).

(in other words...no)

Reply to
Edgar

About 80% or basically all custom residential jobs up to and including the DD phase. Then I turn them over to the mousers.

Reply to
Pierre Levesque

I remember they made pencil "pens" for plotters back in the day. Think I only ever saw one plot done that way. I'm not sure I miss pen plotters.

Reply to
gruhn

When in school I used to waste a bunch of time getting my gold-tipped Kohinoor sketch pen unclogged, and wiping ink off of inappropriate surfaces. hehe The final product could be beautiful with chewy raised black ink on toothy paper. I like ink because it asks you to be more deliberate. Now it's disposable felt tips on trace....all business.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Peee-Airs a dinosaur! Peee-Airs a dinosaur! Peee-Airs a dinosaur! ; )

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Most of it is perfunctory at best, but when it's good, it's humbling to look at. At my second job out of school, they used to put all the new graduates next to the best draftsman (technologist) in the studio with the intention that some of that skill would rub off on us. It did, and I'm still grateful to the guy.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Did I ever mention that I hate using CAD? I use it because it's necessary but I hate it... Knowing how to draw and draft is so speeeeeecial! :-)

Reply to
Pierre Levesque

I miss the physical aspects of drafting on paper, but there's no turning back from CAD. Might as well embrace it. Being good at it got me through the last recession.

Erasing ease/speed. Copy ease/speed. Dimensional accuracy. Data extraction.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

I ran into a guy like that at my first job. I thought his drawings look like heck because he used a soft lead with a broad point. The sheets were all gray with graphite smear.

But, they printed just fine on a diazo paper (ammonia process) and if he ever made a revision, erasing was easy and all that clean white space really made the revisions stand out.

I will always remember remodel jobs where we drew the existing stuff in reverse on the back side of the vellum and the new stuff on the front.

I knew one other guy who would just stare at a blank drawing for about an hour making a dot on the paper every so often. Then you would look over at him an hour later and the page was nearly full. Some sort of Zen Master Draftsman.

Reply to
Bob Morrison

After all, it isn't about making pretty pictures, it's about getting buildings built.

The only novel that I can think of offhand that was less important than its manuscript is "On The Road" and THAT, I believe, is based on a lie.

Reply to
gruhn

I think the word is "fiction" when a writer does it ; )

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

I speak of the legend around the writing of the novel. I don't know who wrote that.

Reply to
gruhn

Create a CAD drawing and plot it to graphite and make it look hand- drawn? *Cool*. Get it to plot various lines and areas in various pencil-lead weights and soft/hardnesses? I should enquire if there might be a service like that in town.

Reply to
Warm Worm

I'd be kind of self-conscious at first to have a bunch of people looking over my shoulder.

...But then I'd get used to it and would want to chat and do things to make it interesting and stuff... I'd eventually get around to asking one of them to order pizza and drinks for everyone; get the other architects and drafters in the office to all push their tables together and have an all-out drafting party with embarrassing tunes!

Clients might wonder, though, why there were so many greasy, cheesy details on their buildings, while other areas that looked kind of crusty, or like pepperoni or green pepper...

Reply to
Warm Worm

Same here... What do you currently do?

Reply to
Warm Worm

Work in a firm that mainly does schools. I draft, do presentations or anything to do with photchop, do all the IT work, and a tiny bit of design when a bone is thrown at me :).

Reply to
Edgar

Sketchup does little fuzzy lines if you so choose in order to provide that "hand-drawn" look. Of course it's not perfect but nothing Photoshop can't fix.

Reply to
Edgar