Global Warming...

Page 4 of 8

Only an idiot calls paying for your share of running your society theft.

Coby Beck wrote:

Yes...taxes are an infringement. The Constitution (even as amended) does not provide for 98% of what the government currently does...as a result any tax money obtained to do that which the government has no power (via the Constitution) to do, is stolen money to do illegal things (this is not a discussion about those things being "good" or not, only if there is Constitutional authority for the governemnt to do such things).
And again, you miss the point, liberty only works when individuals self-impose restrictions on their behavior. And they must choose for themselves to impose said restrictions. Anything else is slavery.

The Constitution doesn't address corporations, therefore the federal government has no business making laws for or against them in any way. That power was not granted to in the Constitution. That right was left to the individual states. A federal court should have thrown out the case because it had no jurisdiction over it.

Not if I kill you first... See the above.

Where does the responsibilty come from? What makes me wrong yell "Fire" in a crowded theater? Oh...some guy in a black robe said that it's not nice to the other people. What if I don't care about the other people? "But you MUST care about the other people. It's not socially responsible to NOT care. At least you can't endager their lives." Why not?

How about this...everyone minded their own business and was honest with each other. What's the point of having police? What laws would we need to have? And what environmental protections would "we" need?
In the end, which result would be better, having people properly govern themselves or having more laws?

Don't be fooled that your license was about your safety or my safety. It's about money to keep the license office people employed. Safety is an excuse for the government to have "reason" to infringe on your liberty.

Sure, and so is the law about stopping at red lights.

Oh, I must have missed the part where you're given authority to say what it means. Was that a secret Article?

You're are a blithering idiot.

Then you can go find a nice deserted island to live on.

Blithering idiot doesn't do you justice.

"If men were angels, there're be no need of government."

Which would be better, utopia or not?

Though not related to this particular place in the thread, this actually sounds exactly like my point. As you stated it "liberty only works when individuals self-impose restrictions on their behaviour". As I stated it "all freedoms come with responsibilities".

Your mother should have taught you these things. I don't mind the purely philosophical and relativistic kind of discussion this is becoming, it can be quite entertaining at times, but am not really interested ATM, nor with someone who seems to actually apply that to his/her views on climate change mitigation.

How about something in between? Besides, since people are clearly too selfish to co-exist with out laws in some form or another, what you are advocating is about as realistic as "from each according to his ability, to each according to his needs"

That evil guberment, eh?
Where are you from? Wacko Texas?
--
Coby Beck

Do you mean to come off sounding dismissive and patronizing?

No. But I am posting from sci.environment in a thread that started out about global warming with a poster who denies it is a real thing, so I don't like spinning that far into OT territory. I am not convinced he is sincere in anything he has posted, particularily the bit I was directly responding to here.
If I came off as dismissive, it is probably my fault. I used to love those kinds of abtract conversations, but real life is just too damn intrusive...
Hmm..looking back, I want to restore the context and object to your characterization:
Coby

"What makes me wrong yell "Fire" in a crowded theater?" C'mon, what's his point? Note he did not address my point at all nor did he reply to any of the informative answers to scientific questions he raised in many other points of this thread. He is just yanking my chain.
--
Coby Beck

Well then, a warning. You did.

Denies that it is a real thing or that humans have caused it in the last n years through "misdeeds"?

Now people are overquoting by ADDING in useless cruft. What is usenet coming to?

Maybe I should take a cue from you and just call you an asshole? You've got nerve anyway, if not decency...
--
Coby Beck
"Don" wrote:

Property is theft.
Do you believe theft is right? It is a yes or no question.
Why do you claim to own land? The ownership of land (ignoring a very few odd cases) traces back to an act of violence. Doesn't yours?
-- Phil Hays Phil-hays at comcast.moc (remove moc and add net) should work for email
"Don" wrote:

Not every yes or no question has a yes or no answer. Is stealing from a thief wrong?
Property is theft.
-- Phil Hays Phil-hays at comcast.moc (remove moc and add net) should work for email
"Don" wrote:

Have you stopped beating your wife yet?
-- Phil Hays Phil-hays at comcast.moc (remove moc and add net) should work for email
"Don" wrote:
Charming fellow.
--
Phil Hays @ different_email

"Don" wrote:

That question is a classic for teaching that not all questions can be answered "yes" or "no".
I'll guess you didn't know that.
Perhaps you might want to read this as well:
http://www.earthlink.net/about/policies/use /
--
Phil Hays @ different_email

> wrote

Uh..now I see how right you are Don. We don't need rules and laws to curtail the freedom of people, they'll all do the right thing.
And to think I was actually trying to see your point of view. Oh, yeah, you also said you were a good guy and we should just trust you to do no harm.
--
Coby Beck
> wrote

I don't know. I speak my own mind and give little regard to "sides" and even less to who else is on them.
--
Coby Beck
"Don Linsenbach" wrote:

But trashing someone's property is not wrong. Like trashing someone's email address by putting out for spammers, for example.
--
Phil Hays @ different_email

This email account has been deleted. You have destroyed its usefulness to me. Do feel free to spread it around just as much as you wish, you can't do any more harm. Really. Doesn't bother me.
It is charming, in the same way that a baby throwing food on the floor is charming. So go ahead.
--
Phil Hays @ different_email

Another one of these? Or is it the same one?

the midden sifter.