GDP

North East accounts for 28% of the Brazilian population and is

> [...]
> Please join and enjoy our free consultation & reference guide to > business and real estate focus at : > >

Is this like a market-focused culture? If so, that seems like the wrong way to go about people/society/earth. Sure, we could use 'products and services', but they don't seem central to our existence, especially when they are not created out of need, but out of some corporate CEO's ass. By the way; it is said that necessity is the mother of invention, not competition. Competition also seems like a flawed premise by which to conduct our lives.

"...if the aim of economic activity is to produce ecologically sustainable increases in the overall human standard of living, GDP is a perverse measurement; it treats loss of ecosystem services as a benefit instead of a cost. Other criticisms of how the GDP is used include..."

"...like the Genuine Progress Indicator, [Gross National Happiness (GNH)] refers to the concept of a quantitative measurement of well- being and happiness. The two measures are both motivated by the notion that subjective measures like well-being are more relevant and important than more objective measures like consumption."

-- Both quotes from Wikipedia

Reply to
Warm Worm

You're saying two different things at the same time out of both sides of your mouth, no wonder it doesn't make sense. First, people against competition are lifelong failures because it requires them to perform, or whine. Second, without competition the existing monopoly(s) (can you say Windows and AutoCAD) will drag you through the coals. Third, there is much to be said about competing with oneself in a lifelong effort of improvement. Lastly, imagination is the mother of creation.

I warned you about wiki before. Just grabbing stuff and posting it without thinking it through will bite you in the derriere. Yes, I wrote the book, well, part of it.

Reply to
creative1986

It's not required that it necessarily make sense to you, especially if you might be unwilling to make the effort.

Perform for what, who, why, how, etc.? What kind of assumptions are there here?

Ultimate competition means, or boils down to, what? Eliminating all competition? (If so, then what?) What about ultimate cooperation?

Or cooperating with oneself.

If you like that, fine.

And if recalled, I responded with a few counterpoints, one of which likely mentioned researching the external/internal bibliography/ references at the end. At the same time, I might have also mentioned your lack of (taking the effort to) offer support for your contentions, whether using Wikipedia, Britannica, Analects of Confucius', or anything else. (So from where are you talking?)

in the derriere.

Most truth to me usually feels more like a lick than a bite, so maybe your contention comes from your own personal experience.

When I post anything here, you can be ~99.9% ;) sure that I've thought it through, or qualify it otherwise, either immediately or when I've had the time to sober up. You have yet to successfully convince me that my post-in-question was of the .09% kind-- almost the opposite in fact. ;)

Reply to
Warm Worm

Very thoughtful comment I must say. The Happiness Index in Brazil is rather higher than most countries on this planet but persons from outside of the country think totally to the contrary.

Thus, it is all in your perception or interpretation of this data...of course, to which everybody has their right.

However, the indexes of all economic activity, including green & alternative energy, bio-fuels and carbon credits are very high, sustainable and consistent in this case. All urgently needed for this planet's survival.

Two sides to the coin as always...

Reply to
jazmartin

e you in the derriere.

Richard, just about everything you wrote above was written from the perspective of a failure. If you plan to fail, then fail you will. No wonder you are so bitter, you think success is a right rather than a lifestyle of noble effort. YOU are your biggest obstacle and I've pointed this out to you many times but it never enters your head. You're too busy blaming others. Most unfortunate. My son is roughly your age and is now earning $80k per year doing something he did for many years for FREE! If you keep doing things the way you are now, how will anything be any different in 10 years? The only difference will be that you are worse off. And 10 more years will be behind you. But don't listen to me, listen to all the other sources out there that want you to fail and give all sorts of silly excuses why. If you plan to succeed, then succeed you will. And no, none of those 9 words are malleable, they mean exactly what they mean. It starts with you.

Reply to
creative1986

This *happiness index* business is where they lump everybody into 2 big boxes labeled *happy* and *non-happy*. Doesn't matter if they put you in the wrong box or not, just as long as their percentages work out to their advantage.

Right? Doubtful.

Again, cherry picked numbers created to cause a calculated end result.

Its the height of arrogance to think that a very small virus on the surface has any bearing at all on gaia's permanent existence. If the virus grows too large or unruly gaia will shut it down, just as it has many times in its long and illustrious history.

No, not really.

Reply to
creative1986

ite you in the derriere.

You can bandy about all kinds of puffery, but if there's nothing behind it, then it's just filler (or worse, given hypocrisy), like much of what so-called "success" puts out, (think industrialization)-- ironically making a failure of much and many around it. Epic fail.

You also can't expect your notion of success to be everyone's, and as I've already said, you can't call yourself a success at someone else's expense... Well, I guess you can, but not all of us are going to be impressed at your posturing and puffed out chest, browbeating, toxic- belching factories, SUV's, land-grabbing, house-flipping, cookie- cutter McMansions, salary or bank account. Success ain't greed. In fact, some of us will be laughing at you (maybe with utter contempt). But if you live in your own world, you may not see it as such.

Not you, personally, necessarily. *wink wink nudge nudge*

BTW, one of my ex's is your age.

Reply to
Warm Worm

bite you in the derriere.

You are more concerned with what others think than what you think yourself. This comes from living a gross inferiority complex. You trust the word of others more than your own and you look to them for guidance. Maybe the worst of handicaps, as it is self inflicted.

The world began the day I was born and this is the only life I will ever own so yes, I will live it as I see fit and define all of the terms surrounding it. No one else has any say in this and if they are living the fullest of their own life they will have no inclination to do so.

It is the lazy, bored, bitter, envious and jealous miscreant that forces itself into others paths, lives, destinations, expecting something, anything, even naked recognition for, to the lazy, that is enough. These are the cancer on any society.

Reply to
creative1986

ll bite you in the derriere.

I'll give your 7000 projects a charitable 1%, at about a little over 2 projects per year over 30 years, with the remaining 99% being filler. Cookie-cutter/rubber stamping doesn't count. If you're going to bitch about government, maybe you might see fit to opt out of the government state lottery if that's what it is and what you're not doing.

Failure is a way to learn btw. It is part of the route to wisdom.

Reply to
Warm Worm

So, since this is alt.architecture here, what are we designing?

Reply to
jazmartin

This is an all-but-dead newsgroup:

Warm Worm

Its not architecture but I'm designing a series of 5 new pens for St Patty's day next month.

Reply to
creative1986

On Feb 16, 10:52=A0pm, Warm Worm wrote:

will bite you in the derriere.

Well the 1st part of the last sentence is true, don't know about the last part though. Seems many people have been programmed to believe a *project* must be qualified but the source that did the programming. Here's my definition: If a client hired me to do it then it was a project. In the early 80's I joint ventured with a guy and we did 200+ houses a year for the next 3 years. Then when I jumped out on my own in 1986 I was doing 8 or more remodeling projects a week. I did that for 2 years before I finally got my first whole house to design for a client. That house got my foot in the front door with a couple local builders and the next thing you know I was doing 2 or 3 houses a week. Keep in mind this was HAND drafting and I was doing well over 100 hours a week. Like I said many times, I LIKE this stuff. And, I had a wife and kid to support. I was hungry. 1991 was my best year all the way around and several landmarks were laid. I did over 2 million square feet that year, designed the 2 biggest houses in the county and for famous people no less, and doubled my income from the previous year to just over $70k. Not bad coin in them days. I took that coin and bought a brand new house and a brand new truck. Eventually sold that house but I still have that truck. I was 35 years old. And I had at that point 18 years working experience. Yes, my first real job as an architectural draftsman was when I was 17, after I had already completed a 2 year drafting course at the vo-tech while simultaneously going to high school. I erred in that last sentence. I actually aquired the required credits for high school by Jan 1972 and also that month the vo-tech referred me to my first drafting job, 2 weeks before my 17th birthday. I went back to school the following June and got my diploma from the high school and the certificate from the vo-tech.

About those 8+ remodeling projects per week. In Florida, adding a conc slab, aluminum posts, screen, 2x flat torch-down roof is considered a remodeling project or an addition. Similarly, enclosing an existing screened porch with stud or block walls, finishing the interior and exterior, adding windows/doors, maybe add a bathroom, all of that is considered remodeling as well. Detached or attached garages, in ground pools with decks, partial or full 2nd floor additions, etc. A designer- drafter that knows 1. the fundamental rules of drafting, 2. the techniques, methods and materials of construction, 3. building and zoning codes, 4. the art of positive conversation and the basic elements of contracts, and also has a good attitude and a desire to succeed can easily do what I have done, and many have. 7000 projects in 30 years is easy.

The part I always have trouble with is understanding the mindset of the people that question such things. I mean, really. Everybody does things, everyday, including you. I happen to design stuff. You find that incredulous and unbelieveable. I wonder how you waste your own time....

You've admitted to spending considerable time in coffee shops sucking down that free bandwidth, and an addiction to rollerblading. 2 activities that are certain to make one a success I'm sure and simultaneously make one even more envious of others, others that put their time to more worthwhile ventures like say, 7000 projects. LOL

....but I don't waste much time in that type of wondering.

Oh, BTW, those 7000 projects were for PAYING customers. I like my work so much that I have done at least another 25,000

*projects* for myself. **These projects were not paid for by anybody and I did them simply for fun, like the 24' octagon log home I am doing right now and the 6 brand new duplex plans I did last week. On valentines day I designed a sign, in autocad, for my wife at her request. It is 6" high x 18" long and on one end is a heart and the other end is a sliver of a moon and in between in a meandering mossy font is this: "I love you to the moon & back!", which I cut and routed that afternoon out of pine and laid a basecoat of antique cream milk paint. Next I will hand letter the verbage and the graphics and then do a dstressed technique to it and then apply a crackle finish and finally a light sanding and 3 coats of satin poly. shwew....the stuff I do for my skweez........

"You know that NRG has always been the drug for me."

--pt, 1976

Reply to
creative1986

h will bite you in the derriere.

I don't believe you. Not only have you appeared to contradict yourself on some levels at many turns over the years, but at any rate, if I was you @ 7000 projects (7GP) and 100 hours a week (cripes), I'd be way "retired" ('burned out' would be an understatement by my level of project-criteria) by now and/or have enough coin-- f*ck that-- TIME-- to happily blade/cafe/swim/boat/laze/hang out/socialize/travel/ponder/ fish/hike/bike/have sex/scratch my ass/etc. yet more to my heart's content, and/or get that "Whysper Lake Mountain" thing going that you mentioned, and/or not need to invest in the Gov't of Indiana (playing the Hoosier lottery)-- whatever-- as opposed to, as you say in one of your most recent posts here, spending "...the past 3 years trying to expand my design business...". Mind you, if I was me, I might likely feel fairly embarrassed/ depressed/suicidal having to actually do something like 7GP to make ends meet and/or to concede that "I have been burned out for more than a decade but just too stubborn to recognize it.", or "I thought about all the stuff I have done and how none of it amounts to much at all..."

Reply to
Warm Worm

CREATIVE>>> Check this out and especially the links:

My pleasure to be connected. Here is more information about us and our operations in Brazil:

Who are we?

=95 We are a consulting and real estate investment management service focusing on international investors looking to acquire assets in NE Brazil, in Cear=E1 State providing value adding solutions in this difficult business environment.

=95 Our clients are institutional investors, equity funds, pension funds, trusts, private investors & private equity, investment banks, and angel investors principally from the US, Canada and UK.

=95 Our real estate and investment professionals have more than 30 years combined experience and have been living =91on the ground=92 in Fortaleza for a number of years.

=95 We closely monitor the real estate market and have a successful investment club =93Invest in Brazil=94 on Google Groups, with more than

1200 investors/members providing regular updates and research on market developments for the past 6 years.

=95 As independent professionals we cover a gap in the property market, acting as specialist advisors in the interests of the client, and only the client.

=95 We cover all aspects including: advising on investment strategy, sourcing a portfolio of property investments to suit client requirements, performing due & legal diligence through oversight of developments, pro-active asset management while providing exit solutions.

=95 We are building the bridge between the language, legal, business mentality and cultural differences in this difficult Brazilian Business Environment for foreign buyers, investors and companies. We make sure that your ventures are performed correctly. We lookout for your best interest and make sure you have the proper representation.

Mark McHugh Chief Investment Officer

Our Specialty:

Independent Investment & Real Estate Advisory, "On the Ground expertise & experience", inside-market info, off-market opportunities, knowing who is who, PROs & CONs, awareness of pitfalls and counter- measures, whom to deal and whom not to deal with, invaluable local knowledge and networks, connections and relationships will help you add value to any investment or real estate venture through our services in Brazil for maximizing profits, preventing & minimizing problems and unnecessary expenses while obtaining the best results.

Please join us at:

Examples:

Here are photos of some of the gorgeous scenery:

Regards from The Land of the Sun, A Chicagoan in Northeast Brazil,

Mr. Martin Gajewski Jr.

Offshore Investment Consultant &

Glenda B. M. Chagas

Comes from a Family Real Estate tradition of 25+ years.

International Property Broker

Skype: brazilrealestate free pc-pc global telephone system download at

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

55-85-8811-0900 55-85-3264-8155 1-708-354-9688 55-85-8822-0500
Reply to
jazmartin

ugh will bite you in the derriere.

Then you simply have not been paying attention Richard, that's your fault. Plus, you are young. You don't have your wits about you yet. And don't forget, evolution doesn't suddenly stop when one reaches a certain age. You learn until you die and the only constant is change. What I thought yesterday I may not think tomorrow.

If you think doing your best is embarrassing then it's no wonder that you spend your time in coffee shops. But yeah, I get your drift.......

Reply to
creative1986

Ok ok, I'll drop the inquisition. :)

Some monks seem pretty cool, though, so the concept of a "govmonk" is kind of difficult to reconcile.

I should have put some sarcastic symbol.

...Still though... maybe an intern or two...

Reply to
Warm Worm

ENJOY THE LINKS....SOME THINGS TO LOOK FORWARD TO DREAM ABOUT AND HOPE

Reply to
jazmartin

:

Yes, for people unable to string two thoughts together. There's nothing difficult about it at all. Look at your paycheck, if you have one, notice that big chunk right off the top? There's your reconcile. jeezis christ already....this shit's old newz.

Reply to
creative1986

te:

If I strung half my thoughts together in the way you seem to, I imagine I'd suffer some cases of cognitive dissonance.

Interesting to read that you apparently support tax-collection or "govmonkery" in your playing of the state lottery and collection of disability benefits, though.

Hi from overseas, BTW. :)

Reply to
Warm Worm