Garage doors

I would like to get some clean simple garage doors but I hate the typical vinyl coated doors with raised panels. Any recommendations?
I found this one source:
http://www.designerdoors.com/Studio/comm/gallery1.htm
but it's very traditional.
MC

How much do you want to spend? I recently spec'd a 'flat' Clopay door for cheap, and I've custom designed doors..... ($2000-$10,000)
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

My 10 ft wide flat panel overhead door is steel (uninsulated) with a single horizontal rib midheight in each panel. I don't know age, but it came from Sears, probably in 1970's or 80's. My guess is that it was cheapest door available at time of purchase.
Rebel
On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 23:39:40 -0500, "MiamiCuse"

That's for custom design and manufacture by the best around here. I think I have client's who now wish they hadn't been talked out of it by a contractor who said "I can get the same look for much cheaper." They spent a third of that on something that only lasted 3 years, and looked like hell for the last one.
That reminds me of a TV commercial for a Hyundai Santa Fe a while back.... the announcer says, " ...and it's rugged-looking." That's become a standard punchline around here...
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

I know...I'm not trying to talk you into anything either....just pointing out the "you get what you pay for, if you're lucky" rule. This guy is the *best* woodworking shop in the city. It's a thrill for me to walk though the shop and see what these guys make. Much of it is custom furniture for 'famous' interior designers. I wish he'd pay me to sweep his floors for a couple hours a week.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

MiamiCuse wrote:

Designerdoors make a nice product, but I think they're substantially overpriced. I've found a Canadian firm (can't remember their name, or website link) that was 1/3 the cost for an equal product (really).
Too bad you don't remember the name...if it comes back to you please post!
MC

If you live in Miami (or anywhere in Florida) the doors have to meet hurricane windloads which will eliminate the selection of some companies and/or products. Also you will probably need to get a permit (required by state code but not enforced everywhere).
Doordoc www.ActionDoor.com

This is true. I have to get hurricane proof doors.
Whether permit is required or not...it is...it is never practiced however if you are just replacing. The installers wouldn't even bother with it as they don't want to turn a 4 hour job into a 2 day job. Most of them will not deal with permitting without substantially adding to the cost.
MC

Well Miami may be different, but on the Fla west coast if they catch you (competitor turning you in or inspectors driving down street will ck for permit if they see a new door on old house) they charge 3-4 times the normal permit & will pull your license if they catch you too many times. There is one company here that will pay their employees a $50.00 bounty for the address if they see another company doing a door without a permit. So there is incentive to get the permit prior to installing.
So like it or not (yes it takes longer to get the permit then to do the install) if the local permit office requires a permit for replacement doors we (as most all of the other door companys here) get a permit. Then the homeowner has to be home to let the inspector into the garage for the final inspection after the install which they will give a date but not a time or they will charge another $50-$75 re- inspection fee on top of the $45 to $150 (varies by locality) that the permit cost to begin with. One of those that when they don't charge local or state income tax they got to get their money from somewhere else.
There is a pretty big selection in different type of doors that are available but yes the ones from Designer Door are probably the most expensive on the market. However they are a 3" thick all wood door, but in Florida that may not necessarily be a good thing.
DoorDoc www.ActionDoor.com Ft Myers, FL