Fosbury Revolution

The Fosbury "revolution" , aka Fosbury flop.
I was watching track & field on TV...and noticed,
For 3000 years atheletes have been competing just doing the "high jump", and the winners and their coaches were experts. Supposed to be simple just jump over a bar.
In 1968 Dick Fosbury obsoleted 3000 years of high jumping by turning it upside down, by performing a revolution at take off and a revolution in the way the high jump is done today.
Nearly all the "experts" said that's dumb, but he won a gold metal at the olympics! Certainly not a fluke, and it's now the only way they jump I see.
There's a lot of physics in high jump. (I was a pole-vaulter, even more physics in that, and more dental bills).
In 3000 years, I doubt a physicist noticed a more creative way to high jump. Fosbury was an amateur novice as he perfected the "flop". That must be the most revolutionary atheletic advance of the 20 th century, that fella gets a nobel prize in physics, demo'd experimental evidence, in front of millions, of 3000 years of ignorance.
I'm hoping the theoreticians of today appreciate the possibility of such a paradigm, as it seems as the bar goes higher it's getting harder to clear it using "expert" thinking.
Regards Ken S. Tucker

Classic "scientists are stupid" stupid. Stuff. Slide rule envy, I guess. He probably wouldn't get the Nobel as he wouldn't have advanced physics any. He wouldn't be eligible for mention unless you can show that he _knew_what_he_was_doing_. "I jump higher this way," does not count.

By using the word "paradigm" you are buying into (adopting an existing, failing to think outside the box, making use of a fad) a fanciful, lay oriented, false model of scientific inquiry.
gruhn wrote:

Maybe he didn't publish a book on human physiology and gravity, but he showed 3000 years of ignorance on the part of "stupid" humans, in front of millions, that's a physics achievement!

No, Fosbury did a "paradigm shift", in high jump and the physics and the physiology of the human to do better, my goodness one needs ballet skills to do that manuever! Hey, if call that a fad, you'll need to invent a better way of jumping over that bar. Yes, we should do that. Ken

That's a daily occurance.

No I don't. Not in the least.
Ken S. Tucker wrote:

Maybe you should give some credit to the inventors of the landing pads. Without their keen insight Fosbury would never have had to courgage to go "back" first. ;-)
Cato wrote:

Partly true however, Straw has been available for 3000 years. Jumpin' into straw from 10 or 16 feet is fun and safe, 7' is easy. Ken
"Ken S. Tucker" wrote:

Ya gotta wonder... Where, in the world, did Fosbury get the idea!
Notan

Are you tracing the first high jump competition to ancient Olumpia?

And diskos throwers are still largely unaware they are emulating tossing a fungus. See
http://home.iprimus.com.au/o8ty/stadion.htm
Apologies - the URL should have read
http://home.iprimus.com.au/o8ty/stadions.htm
o8TY wrote:

LOL, nude guys and everything.
No, ah, them black guys in Africa started jumping maybe 10,000 years ago, that's why they can jump higher than white guys, cause they got a head start. Ken