Floorplan Input

Hi

I'm trying to integrate my 16' high foyer with the 12' areas around it. I think a hard drop from 16' to 12' going into the kitchen area may look a little harsh. The area over the stairway is open which means we have to come up with a way to design the ceiling to get a nice flow from 16' to 12'.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Barry

Reply to
Sanbar

"Sanbar" wrote in news:47f001bf$0$16667$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Wouldn't ideas depend upon the style of the house? There are any number of ideas, but what would fit wihtthe design? Is this abuilt house, or a being-built one, and if it's being built, why doesn't teh designer have any ideas...? Just wondering...

Reply to
Kris Krieger

You obviously have some kind of a designer / architect, judging by the plan, so pay them to complete the job. Don't look for free architecture. EDS

Reply to
EDS

No, but I have a question. The drawings indicate the foyer has a 14' ceiling, so why are you asking about a 16' ceiling?

RicodJour

The stair winds away from the foyer so it's not necessarily opening out to space above the foyer, there's no indication that there's anything open above in the foyer and the plan quite clearly lists the odd assortment of ceiling heights throughout. Why assume the foyer ceiling dimension be the only thing that's wrong?

Let the OP answer my question. Thanks.

RicodJour

Cross-sections cross-sections cross-sections

Reply to
Pierre Levesque

Heh your right. If they used standard 7/11 stairs it only reaches up to 7 feet there, where the ceiling of the kitchen is 12 feet. That's gonna be purty.

Reply to
Edgar

Hmm, wait, those stairs go down not up. Might work better that way.

Reply to
Edgar

I'd like to see how the archichoke blanket-statements the firestopping requirements. All those level changes and plenums - unless the second floor looks like a motocross track with whoopdedoos - would be a major pain in the ass. For giggles the contractor should line item the ceilings and firestopping with that plan - the owner would freak.

RicodJour

Except that the drwing shows stair DN... hope the guy and his family are all pygmies...

Reply to
Pierre Levesque

Whelp, that's a new one on me. I saw the ceiling elevation and stopped looking as EDS summed up my feelings on the matter - let the designer do what they're paid for. I've never seen a stair to a basement take center stage in a foyer. It does open up opportunities for entering a foyer at the upper level and having the space open downwards, but there's none of that going on.

Question still remains, why ask about a 16' ceiling when the drawings indicate 14'?

RicodJour

That's a nicely drawn Floor Plan.

You would benefit by a Reflected Ceiling Plan. A composite RCP would show all ceiling heights, features, openings, skylights, door and window headers, air control devices, sprinklers, lighting fixtures, electrical switching/dimmer controls, circuit lines, and possibly paint and finish materials.

A floor plan is for the floor and walls.

Ralph Hertle

Reply to
Ralph Hertle

I think it's because it is what the ceiling looks like as you would see it if the floor was a mirror.

Reply to
Edgar

I work with Reflected Ceiling drawings all the time. In schools, the lighting layout and mechanical stuff is pretty critical and needs to be all mapped out. Not too bad if it is in a house where there may be only one light to a ceiling, but important when you have 5 rows of 6 banks of light. We also tend to use a lot of soffits in places like the admin areas. This stuff is probably more taken care of by some sort of electrical plan (as I remember when I did houses).

Basically, yes, the ceiling is drawn exactly as the plan view is drawn, but as you are looking down onto the plan, you are really looking up at the ceiling. If you were to draw everything as if you were actually looking up, everything would be reversed, thus it is reflected so it looks the same as the plan.

Reply to
Edgar

Does that mean that the ceiling fans spin backwards? ;)

RicodJour

Because you are look up at it. Or, you are looking down at the floor and the ceiling plan is reflected. or............. Usually you are looking down and drawing a reflection of the ceiling. Sometimes called a ceiling plan.

CID...

Reply to
Chuck News

Wait until you need to do a ceiling plan for a hospital then you know what a ceiling plan is......

CID...

Reply to
Chuck News

I've been in hospitals bored out of my mind looking at the ceiling - it didn't seem all that interesting to me.

RicodJour

Some of our administration areas can be pretty interesting.

Reply to
Edgar

Hi Everyone,

I was out of town while all the replies happened. Sorry for not chiming in with answers to anyone's questions. The ceiling is indeed 16'. It was recently changed.

The stairs go to the 9' basement. After seeing what another builder did, I am probably going to stay with 90 degree walls and leave everything basic. I'll raise the arch to the great room so it is about 11' in the center.

I'm always open to ideas. I think the piano legs, raising the ballusters to the ceiling and gold plating several things certainly have merit.

Thanks for all the replies.

Barry

Reply to
Sanbar