Fish or cut bait...

Every once and a while, I get a client that I don't understand. They're paying me to be the "architect," yet ignore almost everything proposed, offered, suggested, hinted, etc.
I'm about ready to tell this client, politely, to go on down the street to somebody else.
She's drawn her own floor plan... and it's not a good plan. I've offered variations on the plan that meet her programmatic requirements and substantially improve it. Yet, she's stuck on her plan with no ability to get her to think about something different.
It's almost time for the "fish or cut bait" talk with her...

"I want an architect. I have no intention of using my architect." The analogy works for me.
Don wrote:

That's funny. Had a bad experience with a guy from Long Island as well. We had to "graciously" bow out of his project. The fee vs. aggravation ratio was going to be way out of whack. Would have been a great project if somebody else would have been paying the fees. I put that guy and one other client from Hong Kong as the two worst clients I've ever had to deal with.

I'm anly speaking from the viewpoint of psychology - dunno squat about the actual profession. But IMO, this sounds like the type of person who will end up forcing something stupid to be done - and then blame everyone else for "failing", for "letting her down".
I've know a LOT of people like this; they screw up everything from a family outing at the shore, to multimillion-dollar biotechnology products, to quality control that doesn';t get done right witht eh result being dead patients.
They are a plague.
I know it's hard when you work for yourself, but given the personality type, IMO you'll be better off in the long run if you suggest that your philosophies are incompatible and you don't think you're the one to help her realize her dream (maning, her warped nightmare).
I suspect that, if you did follw her instructions and the thing was a horror, she'd end up suing you. Even if she loses, it's still, for you, lost time, lost money, and unnecessary stress-related damage to your immune system and goodness know what else.
Just my $0.02 worth.
Kris Krieger wrote:

Speaking of psychology, was this a Freudian slip? <g>
Notan

Probably... ...I've been hearing a lot of mealymouthed crap lately...
=8-O
;)
Tell her to cut a check so you can go fishing.
Stop trying to live her life and get paid.