Finding home architects that specialize in energy efficient homes?

Page 6 of 6

Is it _grass_? Don't matter what it looks like.
Now, bamboo is a grass...

I bet it probably doesn't say "grass" tho'. It might not even specify "lawn". If the reference is only somehting to the effect that the yard must be mown and kept green, then they're stuck heh heh heh

Ha, that's a good one. Tacky, but funny anyway. I'd bring him a couple pink flamingoes just for the principle of it (I'm such a snot ;) )
- K.

I may be missing something here, but... to my ears "CO" is city administered and it isn't their job to enforce CC&Rs etc. "Nice 'grass,' dude. Here's you CO. Enjoy the neighbours."

[ ... ]

I would guess it has to do with the way in which one designates what's to go into the yard. Or if one has to do so at all...?
In a hot and humid climate, mulch next to the hyouse (as a groundcover) attracts insects and bugs, including termites. Lawns can go to the dogs rather quickly. And lord knows it's *dang* difficult to find decent landscape/maintenance service. So who knows, maybe this guy will be better off in the long run with his "alternative groundcover".
OTOH it makes one wonder why he didn't go for some nice stonework.

wastefulness is ugly. Self-sufficiency is gorgeous. That is what turns people off to solar... the terrifying prospect of being RESPONSIBLE.

there *is* no one running the USA, and that is the problem. Singapore has a government that actually has its hands on the steering wheel. They don't get 100% of the turns executed correctly, but 90% will do. In the USA, no one is driving the bus.

there were powerful people who didn't want the Saving-and-Loans to melt down, but no one in the USA is powerful enough to buck the market, nor to buck the will of the people. Retract the last clause... no one in the USA is willing to *do* anything for improvement - especially if it would require them to get up out of their chair. Everyone wants to supervise, or just kibitz.

completely wrong. Less than 1% of the people have enough emotional strength to make ANYTHING happen. 49% of the people only watch it happen. And 50% of the people don't even know anything is happening.... they're too busy partying at NASCAR races, or throwing paint on the fur coat of celebrities, or being a Mommy. Being a mommy is so emotionally satisfying... you get to play Boss of the Family, and it's the last place in the landscape where no license is required before creating a public nuisance.

posterboy of the celebrity-trumps-accomplishment folks. Go back to watching TV. I invented it to ensure that dullards like you would be perpetually tranquilized.... too drugged to engage in Capital Formation, or in Resource Allocation & Management.
I'm a dipshit asshole, but since I've got one working eye, I am fated to control the blind masses like a musher controls his dogs.
Try to guard your health.... worker-dogs can earn a certain amount of maintenance, but once the Vet bills become higher than the value of the work we can extract from you, that's when the offshore-outsourcing consultant starts receiving urgent faxes.
3D Peruna wrote:

My architect friend has no trouble getting the clients interested. However, he's so picky and uncompromising that _you'd_ likely not be willing to live within his income limitations :-)

We (Solar Nova Scotia) will, hopefully, be having a realtor talking at a seminar in a couple of weeks who specializes in solar (passive & active) homes. Should be interesting.
--
derek

I thought a Realtor's job was, and always has been, to SELL homes. Selling implies a lot more than just sticking a sign on the lawn - it involves pointing out the advantages, not just letting perceived or possible disadvantages be emphasized.
As an analogy - when we were still looking to buy, one house has this ghastly polychromic paisley-type Peter-Max-ish wallpaper in the bathroom - we walked in, and she said, "And they put this bright festive wallpaper in to cheer up the space!" We had to laugh - but at least she laughed with us. But the story makes a point - you don't SELL a place by telling the potential buyers, "Oh and here is this utterly atrocious wallpaper that makes you go half blind if you look at it for more than three seconds".
It's like a job interview. Sure, the interviewer is eventually goign to get around to some tricky or difficulat questions ("Why did you leasve oyur last job?", "What are your faults?", "What did you dislike about your last supervisor?"), but the thing is to find a way to end on a positive statement. I left my last job because I wanted to explore opportunities in this area of my field. My main fault is that I can sometimes get too wrapped up in details, but I've found that good planning helps me avoid that and use my eye for detail to advantage, such as in reviewing quality control documents. It wasn't that I didn't like my last supervisor so much as I'm a learning oriented-person who enjoys new challenges, and my supervisor's position didn't allow him to grant employees those opportunities, so it was stressful for him to deal with employee's frustrations over that.
Only a dope would say: "I left my last job because it sucked, I don't think I have any faults, I didn't like my last supervisor because he was a stupid jerk"!
A job interview is "selling yourself", realty is selling property. But same principle.
So what could be some possible advantages of a Green house? Here's a possibility:     "It's custom-built to exacting specifications, using high-quality materials, so not only will your gas and electric bills be incredibly low, but also, you won't rack up huge maintenance or repair bills because, at the most, the place might require just some basic and inexpensive maintenance, but that'd be a couple years down the road."
Then one can follow through with:     "It's ideal for people who want to express their individuality through their home. Some poeple are a little fearful of buying something this unique, but it's almost like living in a work of art - it *is* unique, it *is* individual, it *does* stand out from the average common home - it tell others that interesting people live here."
    "And the bonus is that it's environmentally friendly!"
And so on. Of course not every place appeals to every buyer - as I always say, One size *doesn't* fit all. But so what? That doesn't mean you ignore it, or tell buyers "well this is kind of weird and ugly but I guess we can at least drive by, see what you think of that thing." When someone says that (and I did have a realtor say something like that to me once, a couple years ago), it's too late to find out what most people think - they already have a negative preconception and they're primed to say "Eeeew, yuck!" when they see the place. Selling is, in large part, about giving potential buyers a *positive* precenception. THat's why it's good to wear a suit and clean presseed shirt, etc., to job interviews - you're trying to sell yourself to the potential employer and you want to make a good, positive first impression, in the hope fo planting a positive preconception in the interviewer's mind.
It's *of course* true that it all has to be backed by facts, but facts in and of themselves are not sufficient.
- Kris
So true. Many people after visiting here (US Virgin Islands) decide to move and have to live on the water (beach/shore). What they don't realize is that the interior and furnishings are never going to feel dry, or stay dry. With the nearly constant trade winds you have a good deal of humidity and salt spray from the water.
They'll have to keep the doors and windows closed, and run air conditioning to feel comfortable (as in not feeling like they are going to mold if they stand still too long). Then there is the corrosion factor and it gets worse as you get close to the water.
Chris

...and when CocaCola actually tasted like COLA... Gadzooks, I'm an Olf Fogey =:-o !

New thesis: "Pollyannaism in a Rapidly Decaying World"
- K.