Finding home architects that specialize in energy efficient homes?

Page 5 of 6

gruhn wrote:

But...there's still some fun to be had...
http://www.csun.edu/~vcgeo005/Energy.html
http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/res/pi/margins/seeps_workshop.html
http://www.fromthewilderness.com/free/ww3/102104_no_free_pt1.shtml

Oh indeed...

Though when for example this paper states:
"Any notion which might suggest that hydrocarbon molecules spontaneously evolve in the regimes of temperature and pressure characterized by the near-surface of the Earth, which are the regimes of methane creation and hydrocarbon destruction, does not even deserve consideration."
it kind of ignores the fact that methane can trivially be produced in anaerobic digesters at around atmospheric pressure. In short it's industrial strength bollocks.
And who said anything spontaneously evolved ? WTF do they mean by that ?
Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore

I just don't get why papers like these "deserve consideration".
Ch.

writes

Let us consider them no further then ! (At least unless anybody seriously wants to defend them ?)
Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore

3D Peruna wrote:

I know the theory, but (a) it doesn't suggest the supply is unlimited (Uranium isn't a result of rotting matter either, but it isn't unlimited); and (b) if true it still requires considerably more expense to get at it (iirc, the originator of this theory believes that the main reserves are much deeper than we usually drill, and that what we have so far discovered is simply stuff that's seeped closer to the surface), so using it will still make alternative sources more attractive.
--
derek

One drawback has always been aesthetic. Mounted solar panels look ugly, which is what first turns poeple off to the idea of solar.
There is a new, thin, flexible solar panel that doesn't require mounting, it's in a polymer sheet, I think it was under 1/2" thick. You can just put that puppy right onto a roof, or pretty much any surface; it's also *very* efficient in low light, where regular solar fails. It's a bit less efficient in full midday light on cloudless days - but in the final average, more efficient overall.
I saw it on that show Alan ALda "hosts", I think Scientific American Frontiers", but I'm sure I also saw it online, it was just a number of months ago.
If I remember correctly, it's also rahter less expensive than traditional solar.
Why it isn't being pushed/marketed...? Heh, not while Big Oil is running the nation. There are very powerful people who *don't want* highly- efficient solar power easily and relatively inexpensively available. Product availability, but most especially, *product marketing*, does not operate in a sociopolitical vacuum.

I dunno about "vastly conspiratorial", but IMO it's extremely naive to not realize that there is a lot of money (hence a lot of political and economic decision-making power) behind the oil industry. THere are also a lot of jobs therein. One could argue that the jobs would simply shift to the new technology arenas, but the people currently in those older jobs might not be able to learn how to work in the new technology.
So, there is a lot of inertia there, a lot of people have a stake in conserving the status quo re: solar - i.e., keeping it limited to "the weird fringies", and the traditional products for "normal average everyday folks".

Photoshythesis is a very complex process - the chlorophyll molecule is a long chain capped by - oy, it's been like 20 years - I *think* a porphyrin structure - some sort of rign, at any rate. It has a coresspondingly complex charge profile along its length. That charge profile is what creates the energy cascade (meaning, the exchange of electrons between several differnt molecules that results in a net gain of energy which the plant can then apply to converting C H and O into complex carbohydrates such as cellulose).
I'd have to crackout my biology and botany texts to offer anything resembling any detail, but that's the quick'n'dirty version. Living systems are generally extremely complex - although one process might be simple, no biological process occurs separately from the system as a whole, so, the replication of a process can turn out to be much more difficult than was first anticipated.

So what?
- Kris
Kris Krieger wrote: ...

Aesthetics is hardly the reason why people are turned off solar. Mounted panels can look quite attractive on a house if installed with even the slightest care to appearances. Certainly they are no more ugly than any of a wide variety of tacky lawn ornaments or poorly chosen paint colors.
What turns people off is cost and performance. It's very expensive and won't perform very well in high density housing tracts where one property is shaded by buildings or trees on the neighboring lots. Getting one's neighbor to take down a beloved tree or their office building is very difficult.

It's not that new and it's not that efficient. It's an amorphous PV technology and runs about half the efficiency of other PV cells. You would do better advocating PV which is integrated with roofing products like tiles and steel panels. These become part of the structure and, unless you know how to look, they do not appear to be PV panels.

I would be surprised if it were less expensive. Perhaps you could show us some price comparisons?

Perhaps it IS being pushed and marketed but it's not as good a product?
Anthony

Certainly not all but it's a comment I've heard a lot from people I've known (when the topic came up about solar power). It might be more of a "final straw", tho' i don;t know. It's just what I've personally hear people say (not that I know everyone in the world <G!>)

I'm sure there are ways to handle them well, in terms of appearance. "But that costs more..."
Ugh, lawn ornaments and colors etc. - all I can say is, there are reasons why people form Neiaghborhood Taste Police Committees. ((THen you get the Edsel - ugh...goes round and round...making me dizzy....qeuasy...blurrrrrp....))

Yeah, there *is* that...

Oh! Ok. GLad you told me...

THat sounds like a good idea. How do they perform as *roofing* materials? If they do both well, then at least you also get a decent roof out of the deal.

As I'd mentioned, I saw it on Scientific American Frontiers. No hard numbers - I just seem to remember - which means, I am not sure and can be mistaken - they just said it was.

Probably, possibly, I dunno - it's a point of curiosity to me.
- Kris

I've got two neighbors that take the cake for tacky..........I'll try to post some pics in the next day or two.
P. Fritz wrote:

Reminds of a house in my neighborhood when I was a kid. Rather than stay with conventional weapons like tacky lawn decorations, this lady opted for the nuclear option. She painted the entire house in tones of pink, and then painted red hearts all over it. It looked like a built version of a cheap Valentines Day card. It was so obnoxious to her surrounding neighbors that the local news got "wind" of it and did a little story about it on tv. Since we ended up moving soon after that I always wondered how that issue was resolved. Public lynching maybe? ;-)

Pink flamingoes are OK, they're iconic <g>
Gnomes - well, they aren't my style but IMO, you ought to have the right to have 'em... ...and to be honest, I prefer those to the oft-approved fake and cheesy- looking "tudor half timbers" that get slapped onto otherwise average suburban tract-houses to "make them 'Tudor'". THey're especially "attractive" <sarcasm> when they start to warp and come away from the siding.
I do, tho', have an aesthetic objection to pink houses with purple shutters...but more of an objection to junked cars piled in the front yard.
OTOH the neighborhood Brown Shirts "forbid" me from putting up snay sort of solar-reduction film on my (rental house) windows. Too bad they also refuse to pay my increased energy bills (and replace the AC unit with one that can keep up with the total lack of insulation and the old single-pane windows...)
So if your having garden gnomes means I can also put up my solar block film and replace the nasty crabgrass ("St. Augistine Grass") with a cultivar of Buffalo Grass (native grass with cultivars that need no mowing because they only get to 4" tall), then by all means, have the gnomes <LOL!>
- Kris

S'long's I can still have my Buffalo Grass (well, where I don't have other stuff - preferably, wround the periphery, some nice *spiny* ocotillo and agave and so on heh heh heh).
Being a free citizen I figure I have the right to not have to mow a lawn <LOL!>

If it says "grass" and he put down "plastic" then it isn't grass. Lawyers are stupid.
gruhn wrote:

I suspect that the ordinance isn't written well enough to define "grass." In fact, I supsect that the ordinance is probably so full of holes he could, with a little effort, find a legal basis for growing 12"+ high grass...
The most stupid are local ordinance writers...usually a local lawyer who's chummy with the mayor or a city councilperson.

Here is a better one. Put in pebbles and then plant variuos cultivars of Miscanthus grasses, throw in some Big Bluestem grass, Muhly Grass, Papmpas grass, Mexican Feather Grass, ohh, how about Ravenna grass (I think that's the ont that gets to 12 FEET tall), and so on - and then let them try to force you to cut it down to the nubs. Stupid little rules.
- K.

<shudder> Sounds like a Stephen King movie.Or maybe just "Night of the Living Deadbeats".

Almost every ordinance I've seen is some variation of a three different "Masters" that someone must have published.

Worse yet are the morons the city/township hires to enforce the ordinance........and they don't understand it..... I had one occurance where, after running circles around this woman WRT understanding and quoting specific sections......she just claimed that "the city could do whatever it wanted" Had to go way over her head and threaten court action before they backed down.

Slightly different angle. We got the Standard in the UPS this morning. Boss opened it up. On page one finds proofs of multiple instances of the FedGov moron who caused us to have to get said Standard being completely and utterly wrong.
The kind of wrong that gets anybody but a government employee in trouble.
Yet, when we deal with this known, obvious, provable, demonstrable, really- he just is, useless moron obstructionist skating freeloading criminal thief we have to kowtow and fawn and placate.
It's wrong. Very very deeply wrong. </rant>

Guy walked through the door this morning. "We're from the City of Phoenix. We're here to make your life miserable." "Hah, no you aren't. If you were from the City we'd have had to go meet you at your office."
OK, I knew who he was and why he was coming. But tell me I'm wrong.

Suspect that going over her head didn't work because you found somebody who knows what the city can and can't do but rather hit somebody for whom political expedience becomes an issue.

Because I'm an excellent writer with a finely honed skill for evocative prose.
DUH!

I go to the bookstore frequently. I leave roughly around closing time and drive home that way. And right around x and y streets pass a cruiser frequently, more than one more often than I'd think. It's not a special neighbourhood. My timing and their timing can't be THAT tight. I can only imagine that they are thick on the ground.

Don, there's a better life for me and you -oo.