Energy efficiency

Watching one of those home shows on HGTV and was tickled by the remark that a triangular house was designed that way for energy efficiency. Exactly how does maximizing exterior surface area while minimizing floor space improve energy efficiency?

RicodJour

Less space to heat.

More solar heat gain.

Was the house in Alaska? Minnesota?

Reply to
Adam Weiss

Does triangular mean three facades and a roof or is it a tipi like construction? If you tilt three facades and don't make a roof, then the exterior surface is reduced > more efficient.=20

V=E4=F6s

Reply to
vlaskamp

Or Phoenix? It's really dependent on the design. What I want to know is how they're going to finish the interior corners.... Talk about wasted space.

Reply to
3D Peruna

The house was in Virginia, I believe. It was a whole "green" thing and seemed like they got caught up in the idea more than the reality of it.

My favorite green building was some guy who did woodworking in a wood house in the woods. He wanted the whole place to just return to the soil with no trace when he died. That's what I call taking your ego out of the equation.

RicodJour