Energy efficiency

Watching one of those home shows on HGTV and was tickled by the remark that a triangular house was designed that way for energy efficiency. Exactly how does maximizing exterior surface area while minimizing floor space improve energy efficiency?
✖
RicodJour wrote:

Less space to heat.
More solar heat gain.
Was the house in Alaska? Minnesota?
Add pictures here
✖
Adam Weiss wrote:

Or Phoenix? It's really dependent on the design. What I want to know is how they're going to finish the interior corners.... Talk about wasted space.
Add pictures here
✖
Does triangular mean three facades and a roof or is it a tipi like construction? If you tilt three facades and don't make a roof, then the exterior surface is reduced > more efficient.
Väös
Add pictures here
✖
The house was in Virginia, I believe. It was a whole "green" thing and seemed like they got caught up in the idea more than the reality of it.
My favorite green building was some guy who did woodworking in a wood house in the woods. He wanted the whole place to just return to the soil with no trace when he died. That's what I call taking your ego out of the equation.
✖