Devout Irreligious

For some reason, in thinking about Don's proverbial freemarket/anti-gov stance, my thoughts casually wandered upon some religious "approaches", that...
...despite the best arguments-- the many points of which can be categorically swept aside, ridiculed, and/or ignored-- the truly devout will unlikely be swayed;
there's little in the way of support in terms of outside sources and the like but, rather, often the support comes in the form of circular reasonings;
there's often a glaring lack of knowledge of or insight into the very ideals that one is putting forth;
there's irrationalism and/or emotionalism involved-- often to the level of physical violence and death and threats thereof (burnings-at-the-stake, etc.);
the devout can have great persistence-- even coming to your door at suppertime;
and they can build great cathedrals.
;)

...or ugly little stucco boxes, like our closest Kingdom Hall.
A couple of Witnesses approached me with the Watchtower this morning while walking my dog. I haven't seen one in quite a while. We have had a 'no solicitors' sign on the front door for over a decade.... maybe that's why.
(I didn't stop to discuss the bible with them.)
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca
Don wrote:

You don't have to be: In some discussions with you on some subjects, I've felt like I was discussing Christianity with a Christian missionary. Often, your approaches seem to have all the hallmarks of religious zeal, dogma and indoctrination.

http://tinyurl.com/2wssut http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideology (All kinds of stuff to consider in the wiki article.)