Design Public Buildings Around Bicycle Racks

Page 1 of 2
Instead of the bike rack off to the side in the shadows where components or the entire bike can be stolen out of sight, create uncertainty in the minds of bike thieves:
Locate the bike rack in front of the computer room window were some big guy might be glancing out the window watching his bicycle.
Bret Cahill
Bret Cahill wrote:

Big guys in the computer room? <g>
Notan
Notan wrote:

You don't think a diet of McDonald's and Cheetos would increase your bulk?
RicodJour wrote:

I was thinking in terms of the the OP's "big guy" also being thick.
Back when I was (was?) a geek, the only thing thick about us was the lenses in our glasses!
Notan
On Sun, 07 May 2006 13:03:45 -0600, Notan

And the computer room is always located in the deepest, darkest corner of the building, not our front with windows. Come to think of it - it probably is right next to the bike rack.
( snipped-for-privacy@ultranet.com) wrote:

Not here. Difficult to put a bike rack outside the third floor, y'see.
--
Dave Larrington - <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
I am Wan, for I am pursued by the Army of Plums.
Dave Larrington wrote:

Actually, putting the bike rack there would be easy. Riding up to it would be another story. ;)
"RicodJour"

Just take it up the elevator and into the office. Lean it against your desk. Install a dumb-waiter for bikes.

Better: Put the bike rack in the vehicle garage where the same security cams that watch the SUVs rusting can do something useful for a change.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Werehatrack wrote:

No way - did that, gave up almost immediately.
Do you have any idea of the slope and the coeffient of friction on your typical office parking garage ramp? It's about 25%, grooved, and concrete. Plus they tend to be sooty and rubbery from cars being flogged up them, and sometimes have a sharp hook to the right, effectively increasing the slope.
Of course, I'm talking about parking in the sub-basement, which is typical here in Toronto. An above ground parking garage might be different. The old Eatons Centre one had a nice CCW spiral going up, but they didn't allow bikes no way no how. Didn't much care for skateboarders coming down, either.
Certainly any office building could have an indoors bike rack.
We just need Martha Stewart or Donald Trump to say it is politically correct.
Bret Cahill
Bret Cahill wrote:

Who needs their OK? Just put the bikes in a secure area, out of sight. Like a room off the bottom of the emergency stairs.
The point is to give the bikes their own sort of "garage", and putting that space off the stairs means that people who arrive by bike also are encouraged to get even more exercise climbing the stairs....
< Who needs their OK?
Not me but everyone else seems to think bicycles are uglier than an 8 lier V8 SUV.
< Just put the bikes in a secure area, out of sight.
That's just the problem. They get stolen when they are "out of sight."
Bret Cahill
Bret Cahill wrote:

Secure area, I said.
Behind a locked door (or an exit door that can't be opened from the outside without a key).
Employees can get in and lock up their bikes. Thieves can't just come by and take the bikes.
Of course there's always the possibility that an employee in the building is a bike thief....
On Sun, 07 May 2006 17:04:10 -0700, Bret Cahill wrote:

Actually Trump could be a good ally. For all his bluster he's very good at what he does. If his buildings had nice bike rack solutions, we could point to them and say, "Look, Trump does it, and it hasn't hurt him any..."
Seriously, does anyone here live or work near a Trump property? What kind of bike parking solutions does he have?
The current climate of rising fuel prices, NYC transit strikes, etc., have definitely raised bike awareness. If people like Trump can use these issues for positive PR, they'll jump at. For example, look at Donald Bren's personal website:
    http://www.donald-bren.com /
So these days he's all about parks, open space, bike trails, etc. FWIW his shopping centers and office parks generally have good bike racks.
The key to bike advocacy is to forge relationships with people like these, and work on them continually for years, or decades. This is what organizations like the Bikeleague should be doing. It is businessmen, not governments, who drive development and shape the environments we live and work in.
Matt O.
"Matt O'Toole"

I wonder if Trump bikes.
Warm Worm wrote:

Only with Superglue and Industrial Strength Aquanet.
Warm Worm wrote:

It'd explain why he's always wearing that helmet.
RicodJour wrote:

<ROFLMAO>
ooooh boy...there goes your Trump Towers IV contract!