Design means....what?

[ snip ]

OK, I'm commandeering part of Don's post re: another topic, because I think this could be interesting.
What *do* people mean by "design"?
Since I yammer about it <g!>, I guess I'll start ;) .
As an interested layperson/outsider and 3D dabbler, I see architectural design as two things.
One is the overall look of a structure. As in, when one is looking at it from the street, simply "Oh, I really like the way that looks".
Another his the process of gathering information (intended use of a structure or collection of structures, site, climate, client wishes/desires/needs) and, in conjunction with one's personal aesthetic, coming up with an idea for arranging the space and the structure, and selecting cladding, roofing, and even landscaping, in a way that makes the best use of, is as harmonious as possible with, all of the considerations.
((There is also wrestling with permit boards and the local Taste Police to get approval to actually build the thing, but that seems (form what I can tell) to usually be comprimise and adaptation, rather than design...))
Anyone else? There has got to be more to it than that ;) !
- Kris
Whatever Philippe Starck says, that must be what Design is.