desiging for a Haiti scale earthquake

Spiderz iz good, but creepy. They stalk the other insects. If you have spiders then you also have other insects. Eliminate the spiders food (other insects) and they, the spiders, will go elsewhere. The only way to eliminate insects, and I'm not sure even this will work, is to completely encase all 6 sides of the crib in visqueen with taped joints and no one enters or leaves. LOL

Do you believe that thing about 7 spiders? In your sleep?

Reply to
creative1986

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@v36g2000vbs.googlegroups.com:

Yes

Yes

There is a lot to be said for putting the insulation of the outside, but then you need the shotcrete to protect it? Container insulation comes inside plastic laminated sheets. Would be reasonably resilient attached to the steel sides, but would need to be fixed manually. If there's enough surplus already-insulated containers that would be a start.

An undamaged container is reasonably secure against insects. If they fall off ships when empty, they float just below the surface for a time.

True. As I said before, I think a lot will depend on whether there is any local ingenuity, and anything available for it to work on. Inadequately reinforced concrete or masonry seems to have predominated - not a good sign.

Reply to
Martin Clark

snipped-for-privacy@v36g2000vbs.googlegroups.com:

Agreed. You can shake the daylights out of a shipping container and it won't be harmed. One of my reasons for the sprayed insulation and shotcrete exterior was first to not reduce the inside dimensions with internal insulation and to create a resilient exterior. Also, I figured these containers could be renovated on the mainland then shipped to the island fully assembled and only requiring a proper foundation on site to receive them. Sort of like the FEMA shelters here in the US but much, much cheaper.

When its all said and done I don't really expect things to get any better on that disastered island except by the individual people that live there. I also heard that many of them are being brought over to the US in bulk. Just lovely.

Reply to
creative1986

I had an idea for a design for a shipping container and even began it while mentioning it on here about 6 or 7 years ago, but then my laptop took a dive and I lost some of its design, so that and my motivation at the time put it on indefinite hold. Seeing as I've become more interested in natural housing, I doubt it'll ever get designed. That said, however, my design consisted of 2 containers standing upright, where their lengths became their heights, and slightly staggered from each other, elevation-wise, the doors, maybe welded, becoming balconies and/or floor-extensions. I'm supposed to do some travelling shortly, but might have time to whip something up beforehand. Last I looked (2004), if recalled, a standard 20' container (steel or aluminum?) went for ~$3000 USD. Some also can be found to have good wood in their floorings-- teak I think.

Reply to
Warm Worm

snipped-for-privacy@v36g2000vbs.googlegroups.com:

In part because there may be wood in the floor, I'm still thinking along the lines of laying the containers vertically (Maybe even diagonally) as opposed to the typical horizontal layouts I've seen. Wood's apparently easier to work with than metal, so if it becomes a wall, it seems to open up more possibilities, such as with fenestration, ventilation, access, etc.; and the vertical stacking may also lend itself to; relating the houses to each other in interesting/ creative ways (ie., townhouses, connections, skywalks, balconies); more permanence/attractiveness/desirability, and to land-use efficiency and community, etc..

Reply to
Warm Worm

- snipped-for-privacy@v36g2000vbs.googlegroups.com:

Oh ya, and if its possible to see some of the wood on one side, it may end up looking less like a shipping container without even trying and even look quite nice. Has anyone ever seen the underside of a shipping container? Is it feasible to display?

Reply to
Warm Worm

Warm Worm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@h17g2000vbd.googlegroups.com:

The ones I've seen - steel box ribs both sides for the fork-lift rails, cross ribs, flat or checker-plate steel floor.

Reply to
Martin Clark

snipped-for-privacy@h17g2000vbd.googlegroups.com:

Fair enough. In any case, I'd be careful with treating insult with injury, especially seeing as we might be considering recycling the older ones:

"Treatment of timber floors. To meet Australian Government quarantine requirements most container floors when manufactured are treated with insecticides containing Copper (23-25%) Chromium (38-45%) and Arsenic (30-37%) Before human habitation floors should be removed and safely disposed of. Bamboo plywood does not normally require quarantine treatment.

Cargo Spillages A container can carry pretty much anything during its working life. Particular care should be taken (especially with 20ft containers) that no spillages or contamination has occurred on the inside walls. Ideally all internal surfaces should be abrasive blasted to bare metal, and re-painted with a non toxic paint system.

Solvents Solvents released from paint and sealants used in manufacture might be harmful."

-- Wikipedia

Reply to
Warm Worm

$3k is WAAY too expensive. You can build 8"w x 20'l x 8'h out of standard wood frame materials for less than $500.

What is frequently used inside shipping containers? Wood Pallets. So gather up thousands of pallets and ship them to Haiti and let the people create their own domains.

Reply to
creative1986