Define Happiness

Page 1 of 2

"Many sincere people are detered from seeking happiness because they feel it would be selfish or wrong."
http://sevcom.com/item-op25.html
On 05 Apr 2005, Don wrote

A happy compromise, maybe?
--
Cheers, Harvey
Architectural and topographical historian

Wow, where'd that question come from? :)
...You'll have to ask Sevcom... Supply and demand? <shrug> Greed? <shrug>
So, Don, what have you had, or are you having, for breakfast? :)
On 05 Apr 2005, Don wrote
-snip-

You didn't miss much.

Agreed; there's QuickTime Alternative, though, which seems to work well and behave itself.
FWIW, I dumped both RealPlayer and Quicktime for the "X Alternative" versions a while back -- the originals of both of those like to throw their weight around way too much (and losing RealPlayer's insistence on phoning home has, shall we say, not been missed.....)
--
Cheers, Harvey
Architectural and topographical historian
On 05 Apr 2005, Don wrote

Sorry -- I mentioned them in the earlier part of the post, but it probably didn't sound like it!
The program names are "Real Alternative" and "QuickTime Alternative", and they've satisfactorily replaced the two monsters on my machine. (The sole website I've found that says "that's not the right player" was the RealPlayer site itself; everything else *thinks* I've got RP on my machine.)
Links as follows:
Real Alternative: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm
QuickTime Alternative: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4100.html
Both are free, legal (surprisingly, the actual codecs used by Real and QT aren't proprietorial), and highly recommended.
--
Cheers, Harvey
Architectural and topographical historian
Harvey,
I love it when relatively web saavy folks like most of us actually learn something new... :^)
Do you suggest that Quicktime and RealPlayer be uninstalled BEFORE installing the Alternatives or AFTER?
I would think before but you've experienced the experience... please do tell...

On 05 Apr 2005, Pierre Levesque, AIA wrote

I uninstalled the original ones first -- it not only seemed more logical to me, but since the codecs are the same, I suspect "after" might break the one you leave installed.
--
Cheers, Harvey
Architectural and topographical historian
No surprises there... I not only uninstalled, I also removed all references to apple, quicktime, realmedia, realplayer etc in regedit... thx

On 05 Apr 2005, Pierre Levesque, AIA wrote

Post back when you've given them a test run -- I'll be interested to hear if you find sites (other than Real and, presumably, Apple) where they don't work.
(I saw a complaint on one site that the guy couldn't listen to Real media clips on Amazon.com, but that works fine for me.)
--
Cheers, Harvey
Architectural and topographical historian
LOL...this is funny... I installed the two proggies and went to test them. So I did a search for .ra, .rm and .mov files...
My entire hard drive (200GB) and all I have is one .ra file, no .rm files and no .mov files!
Guess I need to go to a website and test the plug-ins instead huh?

Ok here's the results:
The good news is that both work and none leave those nasty RealScheduler or Qtask in my MSConfig Startups. That's great!
The bad news is that the Quicktime movies audio is choppy and echoish... I wonder how to fix that? There is no configurator in the app...

Fixed by selecting default windows audio in audio setting...

On 05 Apr 2005, Pierre Levesque, AIA wrote

Excellent -- I'd have answered earlier, but the pub called this evening, and I just got back....
--
Cheers, Harvey
Architectural and topographical historian
waddya mean by *All-in-One* ? No, it's two different apps. Interesting thing is that no executable file gets installed in the root directories. I think it installs .dll's and the codecs etc on top of the original windows media player that can be found in the MediaPlayer directory

On 05 Apr 2005, Pierre Levesque, AIA wrote

stuff is in their software, not in the codecs. (Which explains why someone was able to produce legal, non-proprietorial software that drew on the same codecs.)
--
Cheers, Harvey
Architectural and topographical historian
Pierre Levesque, AIA wrote:

Hi
Picked up on this thread kind of late :-)
If you want to try a good mov file have a look at this
http://www.debevec.org/FiatLux/movie /
I think you'll like it
Tim
Jaysuss... nothing quite like a 16meg .mov coming in at less than 300kbps... isn't it posted anywhere else? I can DL at 3Mbps... otherwise fuggeddaboudit

Pierre Levesque, AIA wrote:

Just tried it and got 250k/sec
Tim

I suggest that Real never be installed. Just t'other week I managed to prevent the boss from so doing. Nick of time.