Current Projects

I presume that several active members here are building designers- registered architects or not. Don't get me wrong- I don't want to make a pres out of u and me.
What kind of building design projects have people been working on recently?
Aesthete wrote:

!3 stroy mixed use condo project in Sarasota, mall renovation in N.J. 7 story condo project in Mich, 14 story apt. building in Mich, upcoming........topless bar in Mich., that should be a great grand opening :-)

Budget run out?
Aesthete wrote:

paragraph, is a "pres"?

GT went for joke, no get laugh. He tried to riff on the old, when you ASSUME you make an ASS out of U and ME thing. So somehow equating the president, pres {I know, it should have been prez}, with ass did something for him.

If only a presumption could turn either of us into the Prez:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lester_Young

Why the change in account name, GT?
Aesthete wrote:

Shipping-container retirement home.

If you could have it triple as a casket, then you might have something there. "The last home you'll ever need!"
RicodJour wrote:

Sure why not, and my design calls for two of them. You, yourself, might even be inspired by it enough to attempt one of your own. I expect mine to be clean and contemporary, with a good amount of glass and balance other materials, like wood, metal and stone, and with the finished "containers" hardly showing, and/or while transcending their original intent.
Don wrote:

Your example seems to dovetail poorly, but, point taken at any rate, and maybe I'll be doomed to find out for myself. :)
But I do know there're many more people and architects experimenting with shipping containers since I first proposed it about 4 years ago. They are "just raw material".
Anyway, talk to me again about it when I get going on it-- assuming we're still around.

Since _you_ first proposed it? I had instructors in college talking about them. This was not recently. Are you somewhere on this list? http://www.fabprefab.com/fabfiles/containerbayhome.htm
RicodJour wrote:

<rolls eyes> Since I first proposed it for myself here.

Bops Rico on the head with banana cream pie.
Don wrote:

Too late, but, if Rico will kindly indulge us, we can each lick half his head.

Yup, I remember it vaguely.

So?
Don wrote:

Then let it be so... You can't warn or teach a kid about everything. They have to learn some things on their own. And learning from one's own trials and tribulations can also make a more enriching learning experience and help contribute to greater wisdom and take something like a shipping container to new levels not otherwise considered.
There's an idea floating around somewhere out there that suggests that allowing conventional wisdom to rule can corrupt thinking and creativity.
In any case, I'd concern myself more with tracts and tracts and tracts and tracts of cookie-cutter-cutter-cut-cut-cutter "developer" housing than some guy like me who wants to make a one-off. ;P :)
Don wrote:

I suppose increasing regulations can be proportional to increasing population densities.

If you treat a shipping container as a material, rather than a container as such, perhaps you can creatively sneak it into the design and under the radar? Anyway, my design might provide some inspiration. None of the ones I've seen so far do too much in this regard and most still look like shipping containers. My design, which hasn't really changed in the past 4 years, works with the container, rather than against it.
Don wrote:

What's the rush? :) Fortunately, I still have some time to go before retiring anyway. :) Still, though, there seems to be far too many people rushing, rushing to show everyone how busy they are and how fabulous being busy is or something. Didn't the best architectural projects of history take forever? Seems the faster somethings are built, the often they're crap, and/or that they'll be demolished.
What's "human time"? And are some aspects of the world out of its scale?
Don wrote:

Hey, make stuff happen if you want. Step on others on the way. Move and shake. Pollute the environment. Fly to Mars. Kill wildlife. Be a Movie Star. Neglect your family and friends. Conquer new civilizations... Some of us who are approaching things a little differently will might make sure their progeny get a clear picture of you and avoid worshipping your ass when they rewrite history. ;)
Don wrote:

Am I? Regardless, is it not possible to make stuff happen and NOT step on others? I mean, can not one move and shake without polluting?
Of course not. For things to happen, you HAVE to step on others and pollute. What's so negative about that?

Nor a Chernobyl nuclear reactor survivor.