"Climate: The Counter Consensus"

Warm Worm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e35g2000yqc.googlegroups.com:

No - Brisbane :-) Wouldn't fancy Adelaide at the moment ... Last year I was getting off a flight from Brisbane to Townsville, and they said the temperature was 12 C. So I hung back to put on my woolly jacket. Heard another passenger say "oooh it's lovely & warm up here "

Never experienced one, but I guess - yes. Anyone ever survived being picked up by a tornado? Could happen ... I've heard of people falling out of planes and surviving - here's one:

troppo

Warm Worm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e21g2000yqe.googlegroups.com:

Has to have some effect, but on the other hand, it's putting the carbon back where it came from in the first place. If we have already used half of the known reserves, and the amount released only accounts for 4.5% of atmospheric co2, I reckon a worse problem occurs when it runs out, and we don't have an alternative.

Reply to
troppo

snipped-for-privacy@e35g2000yqc.googlegroups.com:

So you're based in Townsville then? Well, I pulled Adelaide because I hear it's a nice town for one reason or another. I guess if you're used to Townsville climate, that might be a fair difference.

Read the whole article. Nothing like a little glass to catch your eye, nose and fall.

Reply to
Warm Worm

snipped-for-privacy@e21g2000yqe.googlegroups.com:

Perhaps, but it's not just carbon is it? I hear the Russian permafrost has begun to melt and release methane-- apparently much more potent. But at the same time, the poles were ostensibly much warmer than they are today-- perhaps even at tropical levels. This is something that I might like to look into... Perhaps there may be differences between how the planet does it over time and how we do it suddenly, by geological time-scale terms. IOW, if I push you fast and hard enough, you will topple over, but if I push you with the same force, but over a longer time period, you likely won't-- that kind of idea. So, perhaps-- and what the climatologists are saying-- is that the Earth will likely reach equilibrium, but not before some serious/ chaotic climatic adjustments. What do you think?

Peak oil? Funny, but I look forward to the down-slope, but perhaps like my suggestion above, it may come with some serious/chaotic (i.e., economic/lifestyle) adjustments.

Reply to
Warm Worm

Warm Worm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@d1g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

May be conflicting evidence on the permafrost issue; would be accompanied by the movement north of the tree line, but that's not happening.

Trouble is, there really isn't one climate: changes at the poles are a mixture of loss and accretion, long cycles, but no evidence of aggregate loss of ice.

Trouble is, these "chaotic climatic adjustments" are only "predicted" because they are built into all the current crop of climate models. The models are junk not only because they have got the trends from 1998 completely wrong; they all include positive feedback, eg a marginal increase in co2 causes an increase in water vapour and other effects that multiply any man-made co2 effect. This is more junk. Positive feedback is extremely rare in nature. If it was a feature of climate, then the marginal amount of man-made co2 would be the least of our worries.

What gets me is that all this AGW stuff is diverting resources away from doing useful things like protecting communities from natural disasters that will continue to occur, making sure buildings and communication systems are adequate etc.

Went to a BSA (Building Services Authority) workshop yesterday. Locally there has been a big increase in masonry defects. This year has seen a coincidence of the La Nina to the west and the Indian Ocean Dipole effect to the east. Natural occurrence, happens every 30 years or so. Long period of heavy rain, protracted monsoon, cyclones, in many areas acting on expansive clays. But the defects are not the fault of the weather, they are caused by defective work, failure to place starter bars in slabs, inadequate ties etc. The BSA Northern Division has 3 full-time and 1 part time inspectors. The area they have to cover is about 240,000 km2.

$US 3 billion per annum spent on AGW research. All apparently wasted. If carbon trading grows into a global commodity market, it could reach $US

33 trillion. Carbon trading is about trading "credits" (bits of paper), not developing alternative forms of energy. It's a Cargo Cult.
Reply to
troppo

Innerestin statement there Kennif. Tax is theft and how it is spent is determined to be good by the victim. I'll remember that the next time I get rolled.

Reply to
creative1986

snipped-for-privacy@d1g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

Is it? Seems nothing is being done about anything, except the status- quo that's got us all off a cliff.

Systemic ratcheting effect down to the lowest common denominator it seems.

Buildings were built much better in the old days, yes? And lasted longer?

I heard about that.

Reply to
Warm Worm

snipped-for-privacy@e21g2000yqe.googlegroups.com:

Perhaps it's the *speed* at which it is being "replenished". Apparently, we are going to get a delayed effect as things-- the climate dynamic-- catches up. Meanwhile, that which can't adjust fast enough will be in trouble-- species extinctions and all that.

Reply to
Warm Worm

Bitcoin

I'll repost this: "Lastly, Gandhi developed the concept of nonviolent revolution, to be seen not as a programme for the seizure of power, but as a programme for transforming relationships. The concept sits neatly with the observation of... Gustav Landauer (1870-1919): 'The state is a condition, a certain relationship between beings, a mode of behaviour; we destroy it by contracting other relationships, by behaving differently.' " ~ Geoffrey Ostergaard

We destroy it by behaving differently.

Bitcoin... barter... local economics... etc.. and/or whatever works. Whatever strangles your monster. For example, you can't pay taxes if you're "not working".

Reply to
Warm Worm