chocolate?

Michael Bulatovich

I saw that earlier this week. Not the place *I'd* want to put chocolate, but to each their own.

Reply to
Charles Jones

Me neither, (seems like a waste of chocolate) but what if your religion told you have to? People do weird things in the name of religion.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

People do weird things, full stop. :-)

Reply to
Charles Jones

You got me there.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Kind of coincidentally, I was researching holly today, and came across this: "Several holly species are used to make caffeine-rich herbal teas. The South American Yerba Mate (I. paraguariensis) is boiled... and steeped in water [and]... its leaves have the highest known caffeine content of any plant. In North and Central America, Yaupon (I. *vomitoria*), was used by southeastern Native Americans as a ceremonial stimulant and emetic known as "the black drink"[12]. As the name suggests, the tea's purgative properties were one of its main uses, most often ritually."

Reply to
Warm Worm

Ceremonial barfing.... I guess you don't wear your Mary Janes and new white tights to church....Sometimes I wonder if religion is the illegitimate love child of demagoguery and fear, while the latter was married to boredom.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Warm Worm wrote in news:fjcukf$s03$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

Yaupon is, IIRC, native up through Texas and I think other areas of the US SouthWest. I have one in my back yard, tho' it's only about 9' tall at this point. I read somewhere that British naturalists gave it the Linnean name of *Ilex vomitoria* because they were trying to discourage its use, and that it's not necessarily a purgative unless one isn't accustiomed to the high levels of stimulants in it.

I'm thinking of trying the Tea thing...if I buzz around like a maniac, maybe it'll help me lose weight ;)

Reply to
Kris Krieger