Check this out..

A guy bets his girlfriend that "any stupid website could get tons of hits, simply because people are bored all the time."
She takes the bet and he posts up a basic black background website
(the rest is here):
http://www.helpwinthisbet.com/404/
"Pierre Levesque, AIA"

But if I select/don't select that link, then will either prophecies be fulfilled?
Well, basic black background with white and yellow words on it... IOW, took all of about 15 minutes to create. No fancy frames, tables or cells, no scripts (except for the small copy/paste java counter), no additional directories (the 1 image is in the root directory...

message

Pierre Levesque, AIA wrote:

this guy free advertising money.
--
Edgar
(The advertising below is not authorized by me. You agree to use any

Pierre Levesque, AIA wrote:

He used to have advertising links as a way to "pay" for that shoddy site and the bandwidth it accumulated from word of mouth. He's been found out, and is way past his 2 million mark, so he might have just given it up, who knows.
--
Edgar
(The advertising below is not authorized by me. You agree to use any

Either that or you're thinking of one of the "knock offs" like helpwinmybet.com (note the MYbet vs THISbet. It too is off-line now)

Pierre Levesque, AIA wrote:

Possible. The one I saw was much longer and had much more updates. He's probably recycling the thing under a new domain and redoing the whole thing over and over.