Cement and CO2

When cement, a key component of concrete, the world's most widely used building material, is manufactured, it releases significant amounts of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere--about 5 to 10 percent of the world's total emissions. Professor Franz-Josef Ulm of CEE and Georgios Constantinides, a postdoctoral researcher in DMSE, are investigating the behavior of the nanostructure of cement, in hopes that a different mineral or nanoengineered substitute could be used to produce a material with the same packing density as concrete but without requiring the same high temperatures during production that currently result in high CO2 emissions.
5 to 10 percent? Yowzaa.

Ever had a tour of a cement plant? While still in school, I had one of the St. Mary's Cement plant just outside TO.
It's the biggest broiler ***I've*** ever seen, and it runs around the clock. It looks like a rotating ski run to Hell.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca