Cape Coral Mold :-(.

Page 1 of 2
Mold a growing problem in foreclosed homes Sep 16, 2011 5:53 PM EST Foreclosed homes in Cape Coral need airing out. With many homes sitting stagnant for years, a new problem is festering - mold. The city building inspector wants banks to preserve the homes by cranking on the AC.
"It was really a safety hazard," said homeowner Sarah Reale, reflecting on an abandoned home that use to sit on a waterfront lot next door to her.
The two-story Cape Coral home was bulldozed after mold began to sprout up. The problem is that it was so widespread, it wasn't worth saving.
"The roof was so bad we knew if roof was that bad, inside had to be worse," Reale said.
Mold is penetrating many foreclosed homes throughout Cape Coral.
"This is a new issue," said Marc Joseph, a broker and foreclosure tour guide.
He says he has seen the issue firsthand.
He says the average abandoned home sits empty for 300 to 400 days before the bank finally forecloses on the property.
During that time, the windows are sealed tight - leaving the stagnant air with no where to go.
"Banks that own these properties do not put water or electric on because it's a non-performing asset -- so mold," Joseph said.
The city building inspector is calling on the financial institutions who own the homes to turn on the AC in an effort to keep the mold from forming.
But running the AC inside at least some of the foreclosed homes may be impossible because many of them have had their AC units stripped."
So the solution, Joseph says, is to get the vacant homes through the foreclosure process quicker.
"The bank would actually get more money because they have to discount those houses for mold because of health issues," he said.
And a home filled with mold isn't exactly a selling point.
"It certainly does devalue property for people who live in this area," Reale said.
http://m.nbc-2.com/default.aspx?pid &93&wnfeedurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.n...

This whole western culture is moldy.
Warm Worm> wrote:

If you exchange the obscure euphemism *western culture* with the truthful whole words *dishonest humans* I tend to agree.

I'm with you there. Add all of those kind up and you have a systemic mess. How are you handling cultural collapse, by the way? Thoughts?

Like everybody else I suppose, on an individual basis, thats all anyone can do, though some folks lie and think they can emit some sort of change over others. They can't.
There's a civil war being drawn and I'm watching the shadowy *sides* forming but no one knows who's side they're on. No why? There are several billion sides.
Only now am I realizing the consequences of living my whole life in a world predicated on making money and little else. The vastness of that concept is almost overwhelming when considered in its broadest and minutest context. Everything is meant to be broken and replaced at expense to someone. When production of junk ceases, so do many other things including life, as we know it, itself.
So where do we go from here? I don't know, I can only see for myself and hopefully others will form their own visions for their futures as the man-made *culture* lifestyle erodes to nothingness.
"I am Jaguar-Paw, and I am not afraid."
FWIW, I have enough in my pocket at all times to survive even in the roughest of environment for the bestest tool resides in my head.
Last weekend while hiking in Yellowwood forest I saw a beaver for the first time. It was working away on a decent size aspen tree next to a small creek. I came back by a couple hours later and indeed it had taken that aspen down and 1/3 of it was on the water and the beaver was no where to be seen. It was larger than I imagined them to be, maybe 30-40 lbs and looked like it could ruin your day if you had a mind to interfere with it. The tail looked like a piece of rubber and was rather stiff looking as it dragged it about. Front teeth were very prominent and sturdy, like 2 pieces of amber diamond. Glad I got to see it. I'll check back in a few weeks to see how its building project is going. I'm working up my pack stamina. Eventually I hope to be able to go all day with a full pack of about 40 lbs. 35 years ago I did this with no problem, with a pack, 2 guns, ammo, parachute, food, etc., completely self contained. Aging is a terrible thing, maybe the worst of things, but not as bad as the only alternative.

I think I heard that it's supposed to be at 7 billion by sometime this week.

I'm giving permaculture a try. Last summer, I made the effort at a self-prescribed/taught introductory course on edible/medicinal weeds and learned about quite a few. For example, yellowcress is especially tasty.

I made some stinging nettle/sumac-berry tea just for you, Jaguar-Paw.

Death?
There were two separate times where I was so sick that I would have welcomed it.
Yesterday, I took a bus trip up the coast and in the process of conversation with someone, remarked about how death and/or severe injury can be more traumatic in a way to the witnesses than the victims. I used two examples in support: The first was the veteran who appeared on Democracy Now last week and mentioned his accident with a train and how he didn't remember anything of it. He lost a piece of his skull and two legs among other injuries. Apparently the gov't attempted to murder him as he tried to block, by sitting on the tracks, a train shipment of arms to a Latin American country. The second was my own accident of falling out of a tree when I was a kid and getting, at first, semi-knocked out, waking a little bit up, and then falling completely out. I remember not feeling any pain at first and then feeling a kind of pleasant "drunkeness" or "high" (maybe the natural drugs kicking in?)-- and then waking up in the hospital a few hours later, feeling fairly fine (FFF) and all stitched up to boot.
Anyway, I hope you're ok with your backpack... Maybe 40 pounds/40 miles etc. is nothing to you, but I might be concerned for my own back/ safety with one that weight going a full day with it on. The back can be surprisingly fragile, especially after a certain age.

Creme. Boston Creme.
Sigh. Have I taught you nothing...? ;)
You don't need anymore than two wheels. The rest are distractions.

I always thought a pair of skates with just 1 swivel rollerball on each would be cool. Don't know how you'd get *traction* though. Forward, backward or sideways all at the same time, effortlessly.

Or balance.

Well the unicycle works, so who knows.

2 Conch shells inside your ears. :-)

Someday.....

Wikipedia says you can spell it both ways, or did you mean the c capitalized? In any case, I prefer Krispy Kreme donuts, but they seemed to have disappeared from Canada after their brief appearance.

Well, maybe I already mentioned this, but last week, I did finally get another bike after years without. It looks exactly like this guy's:
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k11/sabres845/P1050675.jpg
There are other, far more expensive models of mountain bikes of course, but the law of diminishing returns seems to suggest that this one hits the sweet spot.

Have you a bike or bikes and if so, which?
I guess 2 per foot doesn't count? I have actually seen more than one type of inline roller-skate with only two wheels, but in any case, I've got my helmet on and am off to the store for some milk, Nutella, rice, bread, and pineapple juice.
http://www.skatescool.com/inline-skating/inline-skating-victorian-style / http://www.extremekites.com.au/forums/download/file.php?id=12100 (saw a guy in person with these on once in Vancouver) https://www.landroller.com/ (careful of the automatic audio)
Catch you later.
Warm Worm> wrote:

See the triple frame joint where the peddle sprocket is? Seems like you could weld some solid steel *webs* in those 2 places, on the front and rear of the seat post, and then eliminate the entire horiz bar from just below the handlebars to the seat post and the one from the seat pot to the rear axle. That would also eliminate your chances of getting racked and reduce the weight.
BTW, is that poison ivy climbing up that oak tree? I try to make it a habit of pullin my blade and severing them parasitic vines.

Nice aesthetically and conceptually, but a bit silly practically. Bikes get banged around - it's the nature of the beast. Carbon fiber does not take well to being banged around. Carbon fiber strands would object strenuously if a bike such as you posted took a spill.
If you're a sponsored racer, that's one thing - you'll get a new bike if you take a spill and the bike is damaged. Anybody else that's spent northwards of eight or ten grand won't be hurrying to retire the bike if they take a spill, and then they run the risk of the bike failing catastrophically.

It's an interesting experiment and thanks for sharing. Looks cool.
To add to Rico's words, the frame is what's light; they don't seem to include the total bike's weight, which will depend on components. If it is a racing bike, they'll likely have light stuff, but it'll likely cost you more too; if it's a mountain bike, I'd be surprised if it was than much lighter than my own, since bikes are already quite light. 22 pounds is pretty light for a mountain bike; mine's about maybe 27 or 28, stock? That's another thing about the law of diminishing returns. And did they say that the frame, alone is $8000? I have thought of a design where the entire frame that might look a little like that but is more one piece all over and CNC'd (laser-cut?) out of solid aluminum or titanium, or whatever's light/strong/cheap.
Do you bike? Any designs in mind that you fancy?

When my brother and I were 9&10 our dad bought us brand new 26" *english* racing bikes with 3 gears, you know, you twisted the grip to change gears, and they had real skinny tires, generator and lights, tire pump, chrome fenders, etc.. Up to that point we had 2nd hand 20 inchers all beat to hell. We was cool for about 2 years and then the Schwinn *Krate* bikes came out and everything else was instantly obsolete. Dad wouldn't buy us anymore bikes let alone the expensive Krates so we located the parts and made our own Stingrays. High handle bars, banana seats, sissy bars, 5 speeds, redline slicks, etc. and the english racers were never seen again. A friends older sister got her license and gave me her wore out 24" girls frame. I turned it upside down, with the peddles on the top of the frame, and used electrical conduit to make seat and handle bar extensions and rode around 6' in the air. Could do wheelies all day long on that thing. Had to push it to get it going then climb all the way up it to get on the seat before it fell over. I haven't been on anything with 2 wheels in over 20 years. Crying shame. In my teens there were always a dozen or so bikes, scooters (Cushman Eagle), minibikes, gokarts (McCulloch) and motorcycles all over the yard, driveway and garage - now, nothing. sniff

Cool. I like biking in part because it's not only good exercise and better for the environment than, say, a car, but, like a car, it's also a form of transportation. There are all kinds of aftermarket fenders that you can add, some which can be relatively quickly snapped on and off depending on the weather. I have yet to get some, but might be returning to Halifax, so I might stop in to the shop along the way and get some.

I'm unsure I understand what you mean exactly, trying to visualize it. But I've seen bikes with all kinds of frame configurations. The bike works fine for my purposes, I'm pleased with it and would recommend it to you if interested in that kind. I paid $600 Canadian for it. I recall mentioning Ibex mail order bike company years ago, but recently found that they changed owners; the bike prices don't seem as competitive as bike shops anymore; and they don't deliver to Canada anymore.

No idea. While my bike is exactly like that one, the picture is of someone else's.

Maybe you can make some sort of traditional medicine with it. Last summer, I got "stung" with stinging nettles (just a tiny bit of dappled swelling), but found out that they are used in native medicine, cooked and eaten, and even brewed for tea. I made a tasty tea out of Sumac tree berries.

Couple months ago I learned that bees take over abandoned cicada holes and expand the interior for their whole hive. And they are very aggressive. I approached the hole and instantly 4 stung me behind each knee and on each elbow at the same time. whoa. I left them alone, for now. Then I came back after dark when they were sleeping, plus, bees can't see in the dark. I jammed a tree branch in the hole and snapped it off. Let em starve.
There are trees on our land that have been killed by those parasitic vines. When I see them I cut them off and remove a piece so they can't rejoin but others appear pretty quick. Some get 2"-3" in diameter - Tarzan vines.....

Notice how the word architecture is used to describe just about everything these days except what it actually is?

Wormitecture composting systems.