CAD/Planning software

Hi,
This probably isn't the right group to ask this on but I couldn't find a more appropriate one.
I need two software packages to do two simple jobs, I do not want to pay for the software as I only have these two projects to do and after that no more.
Firstly I need a package where I can mess about with various options of changing the layout of my house from 2 bedroom to 3 bedroom. Basically I want to measure everything up and then be able to quickly and simply move objects (such as doors) around on the plan to see how various layouts work.
Secondly I need a seperate package to create an "artists impression" of a proposed cul-de-sac. I just need something that has standard houses in its files that I can drop in onto the land along with a few trees etc and have it render me up a nice 3D image in colour of how it will look.
I have some draughting experience but I've never used CAD before as I always used to draw by hand.
If anyone can point me towards any evaluation packages that could accomplish my two tasks I would be grateful.
Jay
You want to check out 3D Home Architect [1] or something from Punch Software [2] for re-designing the house and the cul-de-sac. All things considered the cost of this type of software is dirt cheap. I've used these types of programs on real-world projects and they are so easy to learn a child can learn how to use them. I proved this with a 12 year old nephew who designed his own house in 15 minutes.
If dirt cheap software is still too expensive rip open a paper bag from the grocery store and borrow a pencil from a neighbor.
[1] http://www.3dhaonline.com / [2] http://www.punchsoftware.com/index.htm

For the first, you could easily use something like Google sketchup, very simple to use, and there are tons of free objects (like doors etc) in google's 3D warehouse that other people have made for the use of anyone. You'll only need to draw in your current house's floor plan yourself, which is also pretty easy to do.
For the second, I doubt you'll find anything that can do all that for you for free, or else why would they need us. You might be able to find a full house in the 3D warehouse (doubt it), but rendering and making things look pretty is an expensive process, not something easily done alone by a computer. Again you can use Sketchup to make some simple houses for your cul-de-sac, and just throw some colors on them. Sketchup is not a rendering program, I generally use Photoshop to pretty them up afterwards, but if you want something free and simple your not going to get something that looks fully rendered.
I don't use those consumer 3D programs they sell at Best Buy and such so I can't comment on whether one of those would help, but of course those cost money.
http://sketchup.google.com/#utm_campaign=en&utm_source=en-ha-ww-google&utm_medium=ha&utm_term=sketchup
You can see in the little animation on that site how easy it is to make a basic house for your use, and there are plenty of tutorials to help.
One caveat is that the free version of Sketchup will only print out in low resolution, so you won't be making any large presentation boards with it. For that you'll need to pay the 500 bucks for the pro version (well worth it). Good luck.
--
Edgar

Try http://www.kerkythea.net , free, has Sketchup to Kerky plug in available, its not a replacement for talent but it sure helps not technical people visualise a project. Learning curve suprisingly shallow.
Adam

Jay wrote:

My guess is Sketchup and QCAD. For a free software candy shop, please see Sourceforge.net. You owe it to yourself.
Seor Popcorn-Coconut wrote:

By the time s/he researches all the freebees, s/he can draw it.
++ wrote:

True, but the proof of the pudding is in the crust.
++ wrote:

Fuck priorities. ;D

I don't have a drawing board anymore.
www.prismacolor.com