Basic Questions on Orientation of Buildings!!

I have a few questions on orientation of buildings:
1. Where one would find better sunlight: East or South?
2.Which aspect provides better breeze, north or west?
3.Which aspect results in darker rooms:north or west?
4.Why is the kitchen generally reccomended towards east?
5.What is the ideal aspect for a drawing room? Is it south ?Why
snipped-for-privacy@rediffmail.com wrote:

Define better. Artists prefer North facing windows.

Which way do your prevailing winds blow? Are there local features, such as mountains or valleys, stands of trees, bodies of water, etc., etc.

For a given amount of windows North facing will give a more balanced, softer light thoughout the day. West will obviously be a lot brighter in the latter parts of the day.

Breakfast.
Orientation is not a given - it depends on locale and what your objectives are.
On 26 Jun 2005, RicodJour wrote

But -- assuming we've agreed we're dealing in northern-hemisphere-speak here -- that's precisely because the north-facing ones *don't* get sunlight.
(So my response would be "Define better. What time of day and what time of year do you want the sunlight?")
--
Cheers, Harvey
Architectural and topographical historian
Harvey Van Sickle wrote:

Holy Crap! I'm Northern-centric and I didn't even realize it! Thanks for setting me straight.
On 26 Jun 2005, RicodJour wrote

The first time I was faced with this was on my first visit to New Zealand (where my in-laws live), when I looked at some property blurbs and kept seeing ones that boasted of a "lovely north-facing garden".
I still do a bit of a double-take on that, but at least I now manaage to stop looking like a comic-book guy with a "???" above his head. ;)
--
Cheers, Harvey
Architectural and topographical historian
On 26 Jun 2005, wrote

As Rico has posted, you need to be more site-specific. "Better" sunlight, for example, depends on what time of year and day you want it, and where you are in the world. (You don't plant sun-loving plants on a south-facing slope in New Zealand...)
Some of the issues are also cultural. Drawing-rooms in 18th-century country houses tended to face south and/or west, as aristocratic occupants were around to use them in the afternoons rather than the morning. (There was usually a "morning room", though, which faced east.)
FWIW, this is the same reason why in Regent Street in London, the east side always commanded higher rents than the west side. This might seem counter-intuitive, as the east side was next to the slums of Soho and the west side to the wealthy houses of Mayfair; but the patrons of the shops tended to come out in the afternoon, and at that time of day the east side of the street was a much more pleasant environment than the shaded west side.
--
Cheers, Harvey
Architectural and topographical historian
Sorry, but you sort of set yourself up with the questions you asked......

Where there are no clouds.

Where there is breeze, there is breeze.

Rooms with no windows are dark.

Asian food is tastier than English food.

What's a "drawing room"?
On 26 Jun 2005, Crusty Goat wrote

This'd sound a whole heap better phrased more inscrutably: "Where is breeze, breeze there is ". Or something...

This is better. (My favourite folk-wisdom weather saying is "When night-time falls, then it be dark".)

Hey: it's an architecture group, so these days it's where the CAD machine lives.
--
Cheers, Harvey
Architectural and topographical historian
Don?....Waitng for a Crusty post to show up??? IBD.....
Check to see you don't have Crusty filtered or killfiled.....!

Better for what?
East or South of what?

On what parcel of land?

On what parcel of land?

Dunno. Maybe so there's some light in there when you have to schlep up off the lino in the morning. Makes it "cheery" with your O's. This would tend (or, perhaps "would have tended") to put the living room to receive the evening light for sitting around reading the paper and talking about the events of the past day.

There is no ideal. What do you plan on using the drawing room for?

Drawing. Don't be silly.
On 27 Jun 2005, Don wrote

My favourite "looks-strange-to-modern-eyes" aspect of old plans is when they label the elevations as "Front" and "Back Front".
--
Cheers, Harvey
Architectural and topographical historian
Harvey Van Sickle wrote:

You know, that would work up here. In these parts the "front" of the house faces the water (lake or river). Which means the "front" of the house is the "back" of the house, but gets treated like a "front," as does the "back" (or is that the "front"?).
Front Back Front
Works for me...

many
a contemporary equivalent being ?
... and WTF is a 'den' for, anyways ? ;]

The bears to sleep in.
gruhn wrote:

Right. First ya eat yer chicken-fried steak in da kitchen, wash it down wit some brewskis, DEN ya go lie on der couch.

many
"withdrawing rooms" Where the ladies went after dinner to get away from the men, their smoke and their manly talk.