balloon framing question

This is hard to describe without a pic but I will do my best.....

After removing the plaster from a first floor wall I saw that the 2 x 4 studs run from the basement clear up to the second floor and end at the bottom of the roof rafters. I really want this wall removed to expand my kitchen..... The second floor floor joist run past the studs (which are placed next to them) and rest on and outside wall which is about 5 feet from this kitchen wall..... this is balloon frame construction I guess as the house is 100 years old

My question is being that the 2 x 4 studs are placed next to the floor joist, is it safe to assume that they are not bearing other than serving as holding up the plaster for the first and second floor floor walls?

Reply to
don

No, it's definitely not safe to assume that.. In some balloon framed homes the floor joists are just nailed on to the side of the studs. Sometimes there's a ledger board, sometimes not.

RicodJour

Only YOU can assume that as you are the one looking at it. There are lot's of considerations to be made. I will suggest hiring a professional that can decipher what's going on in person. You don't want this thing to collapse.

Reply to
creative1986

His question proved he wasn't a professional.

Reply to
creative1986

I am not a professional but I have never seen floor joist being supported by

2x4's which are placed alongside them instead of underneath them with double plates at the top.... thats why I was wondering if this could really be a bearing wall....
Reply to
don