Art

That's ok. My anscestors were likely far too preoccupied with the immediate than to be concerned with the Medici and their burgeoning religious commercial art industry down south.

...For some odd reason, your posts, remind me of that guy in that Ikea commercial we once got here in Canada: Something like:

(creamer gets accidentally knocked to the floor and breaks...)

Enter Ikea Guy (I think he's just outside the window on a bike):

"Feel sorry for the little creamer? That's because you're crazy... Tacky items can easily be replaced with better Ikea."

Reply to
Warm Worm

"Don"

It was simply an example, and indeed a short one at that.

I could have started and stopped with: "The plucking of the guitar string can have a different meaning 'at that time' than the same event 'at another time'."

Hell, I probably could have whittled it away to a 5-second sound bite to appeal to a hypothetical target market audience that eats what the radios and record companies feed them, maybe like SRV and BBK.

In fact, just for a little performance art, I won't read the rest of your post. I'll stop right here and make my response shorter than yours. ;)

See ya!

(Back after these commercial announcements!)

Reply to
Warm Worm

"Don"

Hopefully they keep their expounding on it to a manageable, lint-free level. ;)

I argue along with my prof, that the single note (plus silence) is a minimalist arrangement.

He could have, and not necessarily walked off, but continued to play another piece.

SRV: "Now I'd like to play for you a piece that I just composed that I call, 'The Minimalist Mix'. "

*... (silence)... (SRV looking contemplative)... (more silence)... TTWWAANNNnnnnnnnNnNNnnnNnnNnnNNnnnnnnnnnNNnnnNnnnnnnnnNNnnnnnnnnnnnnnnNnnnnnnnnnnnnnnNnnng([where the capital 'N's' help to visually-represent the harmonics and frequencies, etc., as they change over time]... fades slowly out)... (silence)... (more silence) ...*

SRV (breaks into a smile): "Thank you!!"

Audience applauses...

(plot twist: the audience's applause, as they will discover at the end of the concert, is being captured as part of that piece.)

By itself? Probably not. I think you need context. Relativity.

I would be cautious about claiming to know.

Again, likewise. It might help to ask that 30 y/o what they think. Inquiry, follow-up, stuff like that.

Also, the single note (which we will qualify as it having a 'time' and 'silence' component) does seem to satisfy the definitional requirements of both my prof's as well as Wikipedia's (if you'll pardon the "extra-long fluffy" definition):

"Music is conceptual time expressed in the structures of tones and silence. It is the exploration of time in complex generative forms through rigorous construction of patterns and combinations of natural stimuli like sound. Music is a human activity which involves structured and audible sounds, which is used for artistic or aesthetic, entertainment, or ceremonial purposes. Definitions vary in different cultures and social milieus."

Reply to
Warm Worm

snipped-for-privacy@cpu-net.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@38g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

It's just interesting to me, the way one picture can be "perfectly" crafted, following all the rules of composition, color, tool use/technique, etc., and yet, leave a person unmoved, cold. Yet something like some of the Lescaux tableaux are strangely moving, in a way that lingers outside the realm of words.

I think that what bugs me about works that *require* pseudoanalytical babble is that they are unmoving, meaningless, without the babble.

All works are created withing a cultural context, and having some understanding of that context deepens one's experience of the work. But the best works IMO don't *require* pounds of words to move one, to communicate ideas or emotions.

I might not understand dot paintings, for example, but many hold a strange appeal. That was even before I understood that they're visual representations of journeys (physical or spiritual). It's the initial whisper that leads one to seek the deeper/cultural meanings.

It doesn't matter what the support for a painting is (canvas, board, a rock, etc.), or how an instrument is constructed, or the material from which something is sculpted - the best works, IMO, have some mysterious voice that people can hear. The cultural context can't replace the voice, or provide one if it isn't there - but it can add harmonies and harmonics.

True.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com:

It belittles not only the performer, but also the composer.

When anything is called art, then nothing can be art. Except, of course, that true Art is not dependent upon elaborate pseudophisophical word games. The "single note" thing was the sort of stuff I was exposed to in my university philosophy classes - it didn't sit right with me then, and it still doesn't, for the reasons you stated, and I slightly expanded.

It can be called a statement, or a protest, and the like - but IMO,it's not Art to stick an object into a biological waste product.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

Why would it? The composer begins with a single note as the hiker begins with a single step. In that sense, if anything, the single note celebrates the composer and the song at the same time. In one fell swoop. Ingenious if you ask me. Fundamental.

stated, and I slightly expanded.

What do you mean you expanded? It seemed to sit well with me-- a bit of a digest, perhaps-- but what may have helped was that it may not have been really, or just, a single note per se at all, but also the context within which it was effected. In a sense it was more than the sum of its "part", and therefore more than just one note. Maybe your prof demonstrated it differently or something, too.

Nevertheless, I think I understand how someone interpreting a work in isolation from its context, and/or with a tendency to do so, whether a "single note" or "blob on a canvas", might have difficulty seeing it as art, especially if the work depended more than usual on its context or was "fundamental" in some way.

Maybe your "expansion" had to do with some distractive bloating you were suffering that day. Perhaps you would have been more receptive to something Christpiss.

Reply to
Warm Worm

"Don"

Of couse not. But you can't hike without doing so. If an artist decided to celebrate The Hiker in a work, they might choose to express it, to personify it, in a way that demonstrates the importance of the walk via the first step.

You bring up a baby's first step: A perfect example. What parent wouldn't deem that as a small revolution worthy of artistic personification?

Reply to
Warm Worm

And art's debate could go on forever. In the mean time, I'm off for a drink, how about you? Catch you in another thread, then? :) Remember to turn off the lights when you're done.

Rich

Reply to
Warm Worm

"Don"

Hey that's cool, I did exactly that last summer in Ottawa... Around June 4rth. especially, the trees and meadows along a stretch of a bike path was lit up practically like Christmas lights with them. I sat down on a bench closeby to enjoy, and caught some bats circling overhead as dark silhouettes against the still-light, but darker-side-of-twighlight sky. Because bats have very sensitive hearing, one might want to be quiet and let them hunt, so out of curiosity, I made two very light ticking sounds with tongue if one flew over a certain spot in the air above me, and for a brief time, I swear I got them curious enough to fly over the same spot far more than if by random chance.

We're rapidly approaching our twighlight years, Don. Enjoy times like these while you can.

Reply to
Warm Worm

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news3.newsguy.com:

Yup ;) ! Analagous, i.e., making an analogy between things. Can be used as a descriptive term, as in, "speaking analagously..."

Although, in the end, what actually happens is that people reject Art because they figure they aren't "sufficiently intellectual", and end up going back to.......well, often, actual Art.

The crux of the matter for me is that, having seen and heard works of art that were so powerful they just about left me shaking, and changed my world-view, there is no way I can personally define some of the trite, meaningless nonsense I see as "Art", any more than I can call someone a "leader" just because this or that hierarchy gave their buddy a promotion.

I guess I've just been around long enough to see too dang many con jobs, too much BS, too frequent cases where flash was given more credence than substance.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news2.newsguy.com:

The natural world has always been an endless source of fascination for me ;)

Well, they say 50 is midpoint, so I like to say I still have half my life ahead of me

Reply to
Kris Krieger