Architecture?

Ducts haven't been designed yet but the usual spans only a couple of feet. The span is only part of the problem. The rating is the other. Right now I'm leaning to a shaftwall enclosure sitting on an HSS bridge spanning the stair shaft. It's not the thinnest I can do but it's the fastest.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

The fellow is correct. About 10 % posts are actually architecture. What I do is just scan some of the posts a little and if they are not architectural I close them out. Once in a while you might get a really good thread. He didn't do attacks (plural) he did it once. I have read this newsgroup for many years and seems to never change. Do a survey, ask how many posters are registered architects.
Sorry Mr. Moderator.

Except this one?

In your opinion?

He mentioned four different threads - three by regulars.

And...?
And...?
I prefer the title of Moderatus Unanimous, thank you very much.
How a particular newsgroup operates, and what the regulars choose to discuss is pretty much up to them, isn't it? Your crossposting of an existing thread to other newsgroups that have nothing to do with the original group/post is troubling. You mentioned that if the post was not architectural you closed it out. What prompted you to crosspost this particular one? Are you looking to publicize something, maybe garner support and "straighten" out a newsgroup you barely show up on? Usenet is either a sandbox, soapbox, or free-for-all, depending on how you look at it. If you want control, feel free to start your own web site or blog.
I don't mean to be overly harsh, but I don't understand what it is that you think you're trying to accomplish. I do know that - whatever it is - you're unlikely to achieve a favorable outcome if your proceed in this manner.

You probably know this but there are many newsgroups that actually discuss and post items according to their name and intent. There is no other newsgroup that claims to discuss architecture, that is really sad. Discussing objects that pertain to a profession or projects they might be working on, or, questions on why things happen within your profession seems helpful to me.
CID...

You know you're free like the rest to post whatever you want, even if it is on topic, right? How many threads have you *started* on topic?
Googling "chuck" "cid" and "architecture" doesn't show many if any started threads.( I confess I didn't dig too deep. )
Your complaint reminds me of the approbations of the "serious" employees at the most fun office I ever worked in (sic) 20 years ago. We used to carry on like children when we weren't behaving like professionals. We're all succeeded in the business, and most of us have our own firms. We still get together despite kids and companies, because we *enjoy* ourselves. There's always a good belly laugh.
You can screw around and be an architect at the same time, and I think you need a sense of humor to get by in this business, as a "little guy" anyway. Having heard most of it before, there are frankly few conversations, other than political or technical ones, that could be construed as "architectural" that I might find really interesting. They are out there, but most so much of what passes for 'architectural discourse' is pure marketing that I can't imagine wasting my time on it.
If you've got a burning topic, other than hummus, why not start a thread?
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca
RicodJour wrote:

I thought I was the official keeper of the FAQ?!?

Thwow him to the floow.
Isnt that true with most if not all newsgroups that aren't moderated?
--
-Mike

=====================================

They're all over in "alt.elitists.boobs"

Ah, crap. The moderator has spoken. Now I've got to do the Hail To The Moderator dance...
Now please, don't make him come forth again.
gruhn wrote:

Wow, that was fabulous-- especially the crump-- nice touch!

It's obvious you don't know your architecture:

It was being considered whether hummus would make a decent substitute for mortar or at the very least caulking

This one is obvious, as architecture has long been considered "frozen music".

If you want to understand architecture, you must start with something simpler. The quality of your cooking says a lot about your design and construction principles. Next time you consider a CM, ask him ot make you dinner first.

That one is just spam, have you NEVER been in a newsgroup before???

Sorry that one is a bit off-topic, we like to stay on tpoic in this newsgroup. You might find better answers over at alt.how.has.the.one.world.culture.reality.affected.the.traditions.of.local.communities. It's pretty busy in there though, your question might fall on deaf ears.
-- Edgar (that was supposed to be humorous, and this newsgroup is unmoderated, and we like it that way)

GrandTradition wrote:

hmm, just responding in kind (my excuse for authoring two of the above threads)

of vernacular architecture is the kind of architecture that people in a local with approximately the same cultural heritage have developed. Good vernacular architecture, in my opinion, solves local climatic and energy issues and expresses the culture visually in some uniform but evolving way. It sometiems presents a unique use of local materials.
Vernacular pertains to a level of do it yourself that still utilizes local expertise in craftsmanship, but does not necessarily presume the kind of formal architetural or engineering training that is generally presumptive of what we term architecture or engineering today.
That said, there are examples where traditional and vernacular architecture come together, ex. hiring a mimar (Islamic design builder) to design one of the coral mosques of Suakim. Local materials were used (coral blocks, similar to the prehistoric shell material in St. Augustine, Florida 16th c. buildling), mosques were designed but local people as home builders used the same material for residential housing, the material is beautiful in color and unique, the material used caused the local building to become atractions, the materials used were traditional building materials from the area that promoted cool, clean, low maintenance living and worshipping. Just a tiny example. It is always wonderful to discover some native/tribal/aboriginal/modern ordinary guy and gal/ way of solving a common problem. Shelter itself is a kind of local problem. It is wonderful when people express philosophical thought through decoration in some kind of local way and solve some kind of climatic issue at the same time, like the Russian or Scandanavian stove to heat an entire dwelling efficiently (and to use whole or large pieces of logs that burn slowly to ash in the process so less energy is used even preparing fuel).
I don't see discussing making one's own hummus (note that the guy who started the thread on tomato basil hummus didn't dare to post the actual ingredients of the stuff he bought...) is contrary to the discussion of good design. We choose to design what we do with our time and how we fuel everything from buildings to our own bodies. We can accept a developer McMansion, eat out and buy processed food, or we can design, collaborate in the designor or at least have imput into the needs that cause us to live live in what works and what we need while making sure that quality goes into our bodies. It's all related.
'Course, you might find somebody in here who is desperate to make a buck and design you a McMansion.

People discuss that presumptive attitude here. Since you haven't been reading, how 'bout finding a forum that discusses the issues the way you expect?

How 'bout running me off while shootin' a shotgun into the sky? :) "Git outta here, you vermin'! Comin' 'round here stirring up stuff..." :)
If you consider your body within the realm of architecture, so be it. Did you consider a thesis on hummus in the built environment? Puh- leeze!
<snip />

Yea, I know what you mean but consider the "new world odor" jews, masons and jesuits that control the so-called elites that refer to themselves as Illuminati claim they intend to reduce the world's population to 500 million. (Google: Georgia Guidestones) If they succeed there's not going to be much "local community" to discuss is there?
Is that architectural enough for you?

No, that's not nearly architectural enough for me.

You are.

Everything is about architecture. Architecture is about everything.

<complete frickin' blank look>
It's "alt.architecture". Not alt.architecture.green or alt.architecture.fungus or alt.architecture.int-design or alt.architecture.alternative.
The group is supposed to discuss some kind of architecture? I put the emphasis on the "supposed."

There are kinds of architecture that aren't design oriented?

Mmm.... entrails...

One popular thread here is "why don't you spontaneously generate the threads I'm interested in without my having to bother to initiate them?" Also, "waaaaaa waaaaaa" has a nice regular recurrence.

You mention hummus a lot. What is your problem with hummus? Have you ever adhered two bricks togevver wiv hummus?

That's called spam. It has been going on for years. Perhaps you are new to usenet.
Perhaps I'm about to be told how spam is email.

You'd do a whole lot better if the subject on your thread weren't so nebulous. You'd do a whole lot better if your contribution weren't preceded by endless ages of carping. Not that I have anything against goldfish. You'd do a whole lot better if you waited for solid defining answers to your previous questions before deciding, all of a sudden and in the blazing glare of clear ignorance, what the (singular?) topic of this group must be. Maybe you don't want to do good?

Are McMansions our culture's new fold architecture? What's a McMansion? Can you have architecture w/o architects? Does your licensing board, local violence monopoly, or AIA chapter agree?

How many Python references were contained in this post?
it is possible the OP was referring to the range of things called architecture
like
system architecture
organisational architecture
but of course, if reading was a base skill looking at even a couple posts would clarify that bit
so perhaps it was the differentiation between industrial/commercial/residential the OP was asking to have clarified
ultimately all I am interested in is innovative responses to architectural challenges - my key area of interest as a designer though is period architecture from the 1830's to the 1930's
Steve
no clearer :0

Yes, but which of those don't involve design?

My money's on the former option.
[ ... ]

Er, I liked earth-tones (speaking in hte sense of artist's paints and pigments) long before the muddy schlop that get *called* earth-tones became fashionable.
Does that make me part of the herd =:-o ? Or ahead of my time...? Or just perpetually weird ;) ?