Architectural Registration Exam

A friend is gearing up for the A.R.E. She finds that the practice material is available for Windows only. Does anyone here have recent experience? She has the usual problem with getting useful info from NCARB and the State. I suggested she buy a cheap Windows machine, but have no idea what operating system or programs she might need.
Any suggestions on hardware, software, or procedures would is of interest.
Plenty of web based practice sites (I think)thus eliminating the need for either a MAC or PC nachine?