Architectural detail

I need the name for an architectural detail, and my memory won't kick in.

It's a horizontal element on the facade, running across the front of the building, about two feet below the top of the facade. It's two separate wood pieces that form a triangle in cross section and protrude from the exterior abut 3", sort of like

____ top of building facade | | /| interior \\| | ~

"stringcourse" is the closest I can come to it, but this is only for brick, yes?

Any help would be apreciated

Reply to
Charles Bishop

Belt Course is the equivalent of String Course. In the location you describe, It might be part of a cornice. T

Reply to
tbasc

frieze band?,........ or frieze board?,........

Reply to
<gary

Nope. A freize course is always somewhat flat at its front, although it itself might have beaded borders or be figured or unfigured.

What he describes is like a crown molding, only for facades, i.e. its profile is the same top and bottom and there is always brick or stone between the cornice, however complex, and this molding. I actually called mine a string course when I had an 1868 replicated at a lumber place and the guy who hand made the profile knew what I was talking about. It probably has a name, though.

Reply to
++

On 09 Jul 2008, ++ wrote

My guess is that although it might have a specific name that we&#39;re not remembering, anyone in the building or architectural fields would know what was meant if you called it a string course.

Reply to
HVS