Architectural detail

I need the name for an architectural detail, and my memory won't kick in.
It's a horizontal element on the facade, running across the front of the building, about two feet below the top of the facade. It's two separate wood pieces that form a triangle in cross section and protrude from the exterior abut 3", sort of like
____ top of building facade | | /| interior \\| | ~
"stringcourse" is the closest I can come to it, but this is only for brick, yes?
Any help would be apreciated
--
charles

Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 9, 9:43 am, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Charles Bishop) wrote:

Belt Course is the equivalent of String Course. In the location you describe, It might be part of a cornice. T
Add pictures here
✖
frieze band?,........ or frieze board?,........
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@gjmaia.com wrote:

Nope. A freize course is always somewhat flat at its front, although it itself might have beaded borders or be figured or unfigured.
What he describes is like a crown molding, only for facades, i.e. its profile is the same top and bottom and there is always brick or stone between the cornice, however complex, and this molding. I actually called mine a string course when I had an 1868 replicated at a lumber place and the guy who hand made the profile knew what I was talking about. It probably has a name, though.

Add pictures here
✖
On 09 Jul 2008, ++ wrote

My guess is that although it might have a specific name that we're not remembering, anyone in the building or architectural fields would know what was meant if you called it a string course.
--
Cheers, Harvey
Architectural and topographical historian