architects' needs and an answer, please

I'm adding on to an existing. My wife's master bedroom is going to be next to my music studio. The addition consists of a floor with a raised foundation of 18" space in the living quarters. The music studio will be on a 6" slab. I intend on building a studio within the shell of the addition to accomadate proper sound proofing needs. I wish to use the concrete floor in the studio rather than carpet or wood, with metal studs to create the room with-in a room.
Question: Being the living quarters is on a raised foundation and the studio on a 6' slab, will sound be transmitted to my wife's master?
Rick Meadows Bass Players Drink Bass and Homebrew
This would be a better question for alt.sci.physics.acoustics.
Sound will always be transmitted. The issue is how much.
Your description is not totally clear. You do not want a continuous concrete slab floor between the two adjacent spaces. You will need to either break the floor slab or float a floor in at least one of the spaces.

Sounds like a question better posed to your shrink but my professional and expert opinion is... only when she's in a bad mood... or a good mood depending on how you read the question ;^)

Don wrote:

LOL
I've also heard to optimize sound seperation, one should use a sonic break on the order of at least one U.S. State. The larger states out west have a better sound seperation than do some of the smaller northeastern ones. ;-)
I hope you use that 4 foot break as a hallway or something!
A standard acoustic wall would have sufficed. An acoustic wall is an 8 inch thick wall using 2X4's set in a staggered pattern that is insulated in a zigzag between the studs. The studs for each face of wall are at 24"OC - 12"OC on one side 12" OC on the other side- forming a continuous insulating buffer. Also, you sandwich the sill and top plates to the floor/ceiling with a foam rubber seal so as to absorb vibrations. If you really need more sound insulation you drop a ceiling and raise the floor making sure that they are fastened to the inside facing wall studs and insulate those spaces to continue the insulating buffer zone.

Ditto...

Good stuff. Seems like this info would also be applicable to a workshop.