Amber Room

Page 1 of 2
Never heard of it before. Link to video: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/01/080125-amber-video-vin.html
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

Obviously.

It gives me a headache - way too much going on visually... OTOH, a lot fo work and skill; I can appreciate it theoretically, but my first reaction is that ti seems kind of, well, tacky...

So I was right! ;)

Rosin is used on a violin bow, and a bunch of other things, but it is not made from amber. Amber is the fossilized sap, Rosin is made from present day tree sap, aka resin. On making rosin for violins: http://www.stringsmagazine.com/issues/strings98/rosin.html
RicodJour wrote:

Resin Man was a an invented childhood superhero who could shoot huge globs or quick-setting resin at evil-doers and trap them like insects in amber. He once had to save pregnant women from Abortion Man.

<!?>
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

Totally!
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

Perhaps along similar lines of 'the medium is the message', that room is its contents. :)

Unless there is some cultural connotation to the material, I don't understand the point of it, from the pictures at least. Maybe it's the visual 'depth', the way it worked with candle light. I dunno.

THe Amber Room? It's just that the royalty collect more tax money than they had sense, and spent it on ostentious displays. Amber used to be considered a precious material, and IIRC, wasn't that more true of th Slavic nations than th European...? I can't recell corrctly... Anyway, they used to cover walls with velvet, silk, and gold, so why not amber?
OTOH, for all I know, they put up silk curtans in it and did weird things with static electricoty, who knows...

I'll take your word for it. That makes it the usual "my branch is higher than your branch" monkey business.

And given not only the history of monarchies in general,a nd the history of the Russian monarchy specifically, this sort of obscene level of opulance is a surprise...?

Neither that, not the ensuing revolution and royal assassinations. Not to me anyway.

would want to be surrounded by so much, although as a ballroom it would provide quite a setting for a party! Don't you think amber would offer a special luster to the room, not achieved in any other way, which would not come across in the photographs? The nature of amber is different than other stones and would provide a unique effect, especially in conjunction with the exhaustive elaborate gilded carvings. It's not like one could/would encrust a room in diamonds, so it seems the amber provided a more feasible alternative. The detail is so elaborate and similar to mosaic patterns, therefore taken from a distance some details are lost. Being in the room could be quite a different experience.
This is a perfect example of what could be saved, for us and for future generations, in a virtual reality world, because after all, in a virtual world you can spend anything you want. :)

Ever hear of Vitrolite? It was common Deco era stuff, and had a similar 'depth' but in many colors, large sheets, and mass produced. It's disappearing from our streets, but there's still some around. Onyx also has similar properties without being way toooooo expensive for the average baron of business. I've used it in their house interiors.

Some people would if they could...

You mean in a hologram?

There's plenty of it in and on my home. Large portions of the exterior are clad as well as some interior areas. I really don't care for it. I can start looking dirty if not cleaned once in a while. The stones are a translucent white with amber viening. A little too Liberace for my taste.

I hear ya. My personal taste runs more towards the arts & crafts. Housing for the new rich isn't *always* a study in subtlety, you know. If you pick your pieces carefully though, it doesn't have to be *way* over the top...."not that there's anything *wrong* with that!"

I completely renovated a 1913 Craftsman bungalow in 1993. Loved it. I also like linear mid-century modern which. is what I am in now (steel, glass & stone late 60s). I am also a fan of mid-century Danish modern interiors. Like A&C, the Danish modern have hand crafted, natural materials but in a less formal, sculptural style. A few months ago I purchased a fine example DM dinette in Las Vegas. It was designed and produced by hand by Niels O. Moller in 1954. It's similar to set recently sold at auction for $9700. I bought it from a dealer who should have known better than to sell it to me for $350, score!
I have a sizeable photo collection of both A&C and MCM I've been sifting through, I may post a photo album when time permits.

That's very early for a Craftsman. Mine's 1924.

Me too. Very under rated. Often very solidly built.

You and my mom. I find it a little hard on the bones. Love how it looks though. Nice in small spaces.

Antiques Roadshow-Las Vegas heheh