alternative furnishing ideas?

>> We had an architect neighbor back in the 70's who made all his

>>> furniture from sonotubes. Damn it was uncomfortable! >> Makes me think of this: >>
> >> I've tried them in a showroom once and they were remarkably >> comfortable and cheap, *and* of course easy to move. Just deflate and >> roll up. Damn cool if you're a starving/travelling artist, designer, >> student, whomever, and want to furnish a stylish pad on the fly. Got a >> laptop as an entertainment hub, and you go to a local garage sale for >> dishes, cutlery and fabric for curtains, and you're set! >> >> > > Not a bad idea for someone who might only have occasional parties/guests, > either - don't have to have a lot of permanent furniture that seldom gets > used. > > Heck, throw a slipcover over it, and who'd know it from "real" furniture? > It'd sure make frequent moves a lot easier > > Only, I don't see any inflatable bookcases or chests... =:-o

I like that! Anyone got other ideas on furnishing, say, a bachelor pad with minimal or 'repurposed' or recycled or 'outdoor' or [ ] pieces? I'm planning a room-divider of print roll tubes - what ya think?!

-- R'zenboom

Reply to
R'zenboom

"R'zenboom" wrote in news:e4if8d$b1n$ snipped-for-privacy@ctb-nnrp2.saix.net:

IMO, it's only limited by one's imagination.

The thing with interiors is that it's not at all relevant whether anyone else would want to live in your place. It's *your* place. Just like it's

*your* life. What other people might or might not think (assuming they think at all that is =:-o ) is meaningless.

The other thing is that, when you use recycled materials, the cost is usually minimal - and often, nothing more than a matter of your time in making it. The main enjoyment is in the doing. So, if you decide you don't like it, or get tired of it, it's no huge loss to remove it. The thing is that you retain knowledge of *how* you did it - so that knowledge can be extrapolated to other materials/designs/etc. So if you decide you'd prefer bamboo, or for that matter, copper/steel/etc. tubing, you already know where and how to start.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

Well how many bloody parties and guests do you have or need? If you want to run a freaking motel, then no, bubble furniture is probably not the way to go.

Bubblefight!!

;D

Anything's possible in design. If you have an idea, and want to try it, then do so.

I'm going out for a tea in the sun now, but might get back to this.

Reply to
Warm Worm

Well *of course* it's your opinion. Whose else's would it be?

;D

Well that's *your* opinion!

Ouch

Reply to
Warm Worm

Great thread here

Not necessarily cheap but I've been thinking abt making a bed out of scaffolding

Easy to dissemble and move and very strong. could be used for other things as well as bed

Reply to
me

RicodJour

That's cool, I've heard of that and wanted to do it too. Of course you can also put a bed on top and a desk, couch, etc., below. Here in Vancouver, incidentally, they're big with filming, and passing by one set, I noticed another kind of scaffolding that used different, and apparently more flexible bar-attachments. With a little online research, you could probably find out what they are and where to get them.

Reply to
Warm Worm

Great quotes and thoughts Don

Tend to agree that time "can" be more valuable than money

I know that I've personally wasted chunks of life trying to save minimal dollars

Reply to
me

yeah I thought abt doing just that..... taking 5' wide scaffolding and making bed on top and computer desk on bottom

Reply to
me

have any more info than that?

Reply to
me

Warm Worm wrote in news:0U4bg.25528$fV1.7130@edtnps82:

Dangerious question to ask someone like me =:-o

Actually, a statement might be a summary of other opinions one reads. Or it might be a statement of what a general percentage of personally-observed people usually do. Or it could be a summary of such observations made by others, such as, research papers. It might be a summation of *everything* one had read and observed, and remembers, about the topic at hand.

Or, it might just be a personal opinion, based upon one's own philosophy, aesthetics, understanding, education, and other such matters of personal expereince and outlook.

Good move to use teh bubble bookshelf, my skull has been know to crack plywood =:-o

Yup!

Ouch...? I don't get it. If you can have beaded room dividers, why not use metal "beads" in the form of bits of piping or so on...? Less "Ouch" to that than running into solid walls

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news2.newsguy.com:

That's all very true - if you don't like doing that sort of thing. But if you decide you'd really enjoy just doing it, for soem reason or another or just "because", then it's still worthwhile to make it.

The other thing is, if you can't find anything to buy that you like and that fits your budget, you can do without, you can buy something you don't like but that does the job, or you can do without it.

What if the pure enjoyment of figuring out how to make something, then making is, *is* your favorite goal ;) ?

Frankly, I'd rather pay someone a couple hundred to clean my dang house, than pay 1/4 as much for something I hated as opposed to taking the time to make it. Of course, I really do love making stuff, whereas, I *loathe* repetetive tasks (such as cleaning, which is never "finished" because it has to be done again, and again, and again, and again, and....)

Heaven to me would be having the time, the health, the space, and the resources to make stuff all the time :) Well, with *some* left over for eating, swimming and walking, playing ith the parrot, and so on.

I think it's merely a matter of knowing what you enjoy and what your goals

*are*, than it is of being a "dinosaur".

Heck, if I lived near my Aunt and cousins, I'd prob be over there diggin in their yards as well as my own, because then I'd also have *their* $$ to spend on creating gardens and making garden stuff. I'm not a "people person" - mostly, I find people to be aggravtions, PITAs, and rocks that need to be picked out of the yard, but I like to be outside fooling with plants for hours on end, or reading about botany and local climate and landscaping - or designing on papaer and/or 3D - and so on.

It's all a matter of what you enjoy and what your goals are.

My goal is to have time (etc.) to make stuff

Reply to
Kris Krieger

Warm Worm wrote in news:QM4bg.25523$fV1.12338@edtnps82:

Not me, the OP.

I'm antisocial and very private in real life. If people don't call first (assuing I feel like answering the phone), I don't feel obligated to open the door if they "just come over". I almost never invite people over, for various reasons.

Hmmmm, there's a lot of Kris Bopping going on today... =:-o

*>POP!!!
Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Don"

Do you get a Home Depot divider or hand-create a one-of-a-kind piece and recycle to boot? Does your home feel like a home, or some kind of department store showroom?

I guess it depends on what you enjoy doing, what you value, etc., and of course sometimes the mere act of making money from something enjoyable can diminish its enjoyment.

What does Don say that is unique to him?

Are you sure?

What did he mean by that?

Reply to
Warm Worm

Hm, well that's one aesthetic I guess. :)

Reply to
Warm Worm