Aerogel

Amazing stuff.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Aerogelbrick.jpg

I want a chunk.
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

It's hard to get. There are only 1 or 2 manufacturers of the stuff, they're working at capacity and can't make it fast enough for the space related orders coming in. I contacted on a couple of years ago about getting some, and they told me they can't help...they were 3-4 years booked on orders. I wanted a thin aerogel blanket as house insulation. The sales person told me I wasn't the first and it'd be a decade before they could get production to affordable levels.
RicodJour wrote:

I wonder how biodegradable it is.

Or else how reusable.
--
Edgar

Isn't it silicon? IOW, glass? If so, it's ought to be as recycleable as glass.
Resibility - depends. IS it inside fo some protective covering? Subjected to mechanical stres? Etc. and so on...
RicodJour wrote:

How biodegradable is it?

Since you're busy practicing parsing that question, I'm not sure if I should interrupt with a reply. ;) The Wiki article - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerogel - gives some hints to the answer. The liquid in the original gel is replaced by a gas, the aerogel is very hygroscopic and it it shatters (catastrophically) when crushed. I'd surmise that mixing the liquid back into crushed aerogel would, for the most part, put the stuff back in its original state.
19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com:

Isn't that what they used to collect the comet dust?
Silicon is amazing stuff.