3D Design Architeture Software

Page 1 of 2

Hi all,
I'm not an architect but due to professional reasons I had to start learning some of the architecture basics. Now I need to use a 3D software which allows me to create a building and walk around it, seeing all the internal and external details.
I've tried the 3D Home Architect Deluxe 6 but the "walk around" tool is not working good for me, since the navigation is done with the mouse. Could someone here please tell me what's the best software available for this purpose? The me is being able to create any kind of building and being able to walk all around it in 3D.
I'd also ask you people to point some sites where I could learn more about those 3D softwares and the architecture basics. I'm a complete newbie.
Thanks in advance,
John Silva
See the FAQ's... they'll likely be posted as soon as the "keeper of the faq's" logs onto his PC ;-)

What happens on sun's?

LOL (my turn)

Yeah...well...um... Slept in. Sorry I'm late.
(Big breath) Here goes!
alt.architecture FAQ =================== 1. What architecture school should I go to? [Common Variant: How good is the University of 'X'?] 2. Can someone help me with my homework? 3. Where can I find free plans/design work/engineering calcs on the internet? 4. What CAD program is best/should I buy? 5. Is architecture a good career choice? 6. Am I being overcharged by my architect? 7. What does everyone think of this famous architect's work? 8. Why should I hire an architect when I can draw the plans with [insert name of extremely cheap drafting software here] on my own computer? 9. Where can I find 'X'? 10. What's a good gift for a teenager who wants to be an architect? 11. Please go to my website. 12. Why are architects so incompetent? 13. May I advertise in alt.architecture?
Frequently Offered Answers on alt.architecture:
1. What architecture school should I go to? [Common Variant: How good is the University of 'X'?]
It's up to you. [Variant: "LOL!!!!"]
2. Can someone help me with my homework?
Nah. See question/answer #9 and stop asking others to do your work.
3. Where can I find free plans/design work/engineering calcs on the internet?
http://www.alltheplansintheworld.com/instantarchitect/egan.html http://www.freearchitecture.com / http://www.allthefreecadsoftware.com/instantplans /
4. What CAD program is best/should I buy?
Try the alt.cad newsgroup. We're pretentious artistes at alt.architecture.
5. Is architecture a good career choice?
LOL! We can only hope so.
6. Am I being overcharged by my architect?
LOL! We can only hope so.
7. What does everyone think of this famous architect's work?
AUGH!
8. Why should I hire an architect when I can draw the plans with [insert name of extremely cheap drafting software here] on my own computer?
You get what you pay for [or don't pay for--RE: Congressman James Trafficant's self-defense].
9. Where can I find 'X'?
Leave us alone. Try http://www.google.com instead.
10. What's a good gift for a teenager who wants to be an architect?
Space.
11. Please go to my website.
That's not a question.
12. Why are architects so incompetent?
Only in Hong Kong. They're all good everywhere else.
13. May I advertise in alt.architecture?
Only if your first name is not Ralph or Anthony. Otherwise, feel free.
#1 Penn State? Ohio State? Dunno. What's your selection in curricula? (And I dare one of you jerks to correct my Latin!) #2 NO #3 Lots of programs free (most are trials and need to register for fee for full options) - - - explore #4 Debatable. Depends on what is interactive with what you've got ... and for the price. Despite other messages, Auto-CADD is the accepted standard. Sorry for their luck in trying to sell something else. Some trials or lesser programs available for trial or lesser cost. Explore. #5 Last I checked it was the lowest paid and highest liability in all professional fields. #6 No. You're being overcharged by his employees, secretaries, suppliers of durables, expendables, and taxes, overhead, liabilities, cost of licensing, etc. ....... #7 Dunno. Didn't get the name. #8 Professional Liabilities (if it falls, fails, or hurts someone; or causes them medical harm in their lifetime; kiss your savings and home goodbye!) However, not a bad start for professional refinement; better than the back of a napkin. # 9 No Response #10 A 5x3 adjustable table, stool, lamp, templates, pentels, compass set, protractor, adjustable triangle, 30/60 and 45/90 triangles (pref w/ beveled edge) and lots and lots of books #11 NO #12 It would be my belief that they are so caught up in artistry, prestige, and money, that they forget the basic responsibilities of quality, safety, cost, employees, public trust....... #13 They don't let me (and for good professional reason). Why should anyone else be any different?

Steve Kachaylo wrote:

So...you think you want to take over being keeper of the FAQ?
No desire for that. Just want to set records straight. Are you out here for info? Maybe just to cut each others' throats? Someone asked a question. I gave an answer. I get it shoved down my throat. Go to: NCARB.org and ask for specifics for practicing or licensing; then ask your state Labor and Industry Board of Practicing Professionals.

Steve Kachaylo wrote:

Huh? Record straight? The record is self evident from a bit of googling the archives.
The original question was about 3D software...a response mentioning referencing the FAQ was given. While I'm not the writer or originator of the FAQ, I've taken upon myself the responsiblity of posting as necessary. Us regulars seem to have agreed that this is to be our unofficially official FAQ. Feel free to suggest changes, but don't expect that they stick.
Nobody's shoving anything down your throat... 'cept maybe some fried chicken...
Basic point..... If you can't draw on a board without etch-a-sketch help, you basically can't draw !!!

2/15
And he took it seriously.

Thanks for that, Steve. I were to only one to show soem politeness here...

Has this FAQ not been posted anywhere on top of someone's URL?
I can donate a wee corner of my webspace to it (so long as I can add a "history of the alt.architecture FAQ" paragraph explaining why/how it is so "witty" (a sort of disclaimer of sorts for unsuspecting overly serious clients possibly wandering onto it via google or something)
So... I'm gonna create to a new thread called "History of the alt.architecture FAQ" and from the responses I'll put together a paragraph... or has this been done already in the past?

www.cgarchitect.com
John Silva wrote:

You're asking for something that doesn't exist. It takes quite some time to learn the "basics" and then it takes some time to learn the software.
Are you looking to create "pretty pictures" or "building information models?" They're related, but very different in how they're approached. And for either of them, you're looking at investing considerable time and money. The decent software starts at about $1K (and I don't think that stuff is all that good -- to get anything worthwhile for 3D work, look to spend at least $3K). And the learning curve is steep--because you're not only learning the software, but how to represent a building.
Lastly...as for "best" software. You're asking for a religious discussion. There are many programs out there. Those who use them all have their reasons for doing so and think that their software is the best for their purposes. The industry standard is based on Autodesk's AutoCAD products...but that doesn't mean they're the best, or what you should use (because you don't have a clue as to what you're getting into).
Why not just hire an architecture firm to do what you need to do?
3D Peruna,
Sorry about the delay to answer your question, but I had some problems with my computer and only fixed it today. Well, I'm training for the WMC (World Memory Championships) and my idea is to use CAD programs to build places for a Journey System (or "Loci System", "Memory Palace", etc). You can find more about this at http://www.ludism.org/mentat/MemoryPalace . I didn't explain it earlier because nobody knows it and soulds a little crazy, but really works and exists.
This technique is based in associating images (or pieces of information) to places. So, when you want to remember something you just have to walk trough the place you used to "keep" your information and you'll remember it as you see the places. I need that because the number of locations that I can remember perfectly is pretty limited, and sometimes I use all the places I know to keep information, which makes me need a new one. It gives me some work because when I need to memorize a new place I have to walk through to city to find new ones... My idea with this CAD stuff is creating places to fit my own needs.
There's a competition in the World Memory Championships called Speed Cards where you have to memorize an entire pack of playing cards (52 cards) as fast as you can. The standards are something like 3 minutes, and the technique used for it consists of associating each card to a location. Then you'll need a place with 52 locations (or a building with 52 rooms, a course with 52 landmarks, whatever) to do it. Finding a place like this and memorizing it is not easy... With CAD I could imagine and create a place from my own. Do you know what I mean? That's it! So my answer to your question is "creating funny pictures", but I need to be able to walk though those funny pictures seing every single detail of its structure.
Cheers,
John Silva
mensagem

John Silva wrote:

It will take longer to create the space, unless a simple textured rectangle will suffice, than it would to use more "traditional" techniques. The whole 3D walk-through stuff is very cool...but presently overrated.
Hi 3D Peruna,
Well, I've tried 3D Home Architect Home Design Deluxe 6 a few days ago. The software itself is very good but the "walk trough" feature isn't. I need to move freely around the space, but I can't do it the way I want with the mouse. The kind of software I'm looking for would be as easy to use as 3D Home Architect but with a better "walk trough" feature. Is there such thing?
Cheers,
John Silva
mensagem

John Silva wrote:

Depends on the level of detail you're looking for. Quite frankly, I'd steer you towards the game engines...like Doom or Quake. There are development tools for those types of games that have great "walk-through" capabilities and might be more what you're looking for. The stuff geared towards the architecture market isn't where you want to go...trust me.