Latest threads in Architecture and Designshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Framing with ashlar masonry
To any architects out there.... I am curious about the type of framing used for multi-storey homes with ashlar stone masonry on the facades. I once read that large homes with ashlar stone walls had to...
10
10

Re: Building Physicist
You assume I don't?
25
25

Hardie board/shingle
Actually, he said "be covered with moist organic material", not "buried." That could happen at a roof-to-wall joint. (Note that quoting of *your* posts is done in the usual manner?)
27
27

Architectural project in Texas
I am a registered architect licensed in 2 states, and need to form an association with a registered architect who is registered in Texas, for a project in Texas where I am not yet licensed. If...

Re: Can you imagine a time....
Pat wrote in news: OTOH, I wouldn't mind a new knee at some point ;) Some portable RAM wouldn't be bad, either, but don't they call that "a laptop"...? Actually, all of this stuff (and the...
5
5

Some cool pictures of ALICE...
IN A SLIDE SHOW!!! National Geographic stories take you on a journey that’s always enlightening, often surprising, and unfailingly fascinating.

Re: Do you trust your eyes?
"Don" wrote in news: INteresting. INteresting links. Great, now I'll *never* leave my computer ;) http://scienceblogs.com/cognitivedaily/2008/02/what_illusions_tell_us_a

Re: Engineering question of the day
I hope you guys took pictures of it moving. http://lighthouse.cc/blockisoutheast/history.html
11
11

Re: Hey Richard
Hi Don, while it's a fair bit outside of what I would normally listen to, I did, and the gesture was certainly appreciated. (Objectively-speaking, it's a fine tune and nice vid.) For example,...

Any special techniques in taking pictures on projects?
As my house projects progresses before I cover things (walls, slabs etc..) I would like to keep a record of where things are. I already have a floor plan in a DGN file inside MicroStation that I am...
10
10

Re: Is there a conspiracy going on about finishes?
On 17 Feb 2008, MiamiCuse wrote Seems likely; there's a big advantage if a manufacturer can make sure that you have to come back to them for any additional bits or supplies. (Just ask Steve Jobs,...
6
6

Re: Inexpensive Acreage Available, NOW!
Will u be hiring Erik Estrada for the commercial? Why buy a star name — your Moon Acre gift can be seen almost any night! Join Lunar Land Owners around the world by buying your own acre of lunar...

Is it orginal or a replica?
Hi all, sometimes you can find on ebay some great design objects at very interesting prices. In the description the seller write the designer of the object but what usually is not known is the...

neoprene foundation mat
how thick should the neoprene foundation mat be for ordinary houses? the neoprene foundation mat is used to insulate the foundation slab from the ground as well as supporting the ground floor slab...
5
5

Solar heating panel installation photos
For anyone interested in seeing photos of an installation of commercial "drop-in" passive solar air-heating panels, you're invited to visit pictured installation took less than an hour with a four...
12
12