Latest threads in Architecture and Designshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

truss span
am building a garage above wich will be a living room and a patio span on trusses supporting hte garage roof and 2nd floor will be 24 feet considering using laminated (stacked) 2x4's how many will...
8
8

Newspaper "House"
Yeah, real original. There was a guy that built a rolled newspaper house over fifty years ago. Everything was made from rolled and varnished newspaper - including the piano and furniture. I hate art...
4
4

Re: Hey Miamicuse
Don: I hear you. I am trying my best to minimize work, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. The vent looks very solidly built and I actually hate to mess with it. I might just leave it alone....

Air condition outlet locations
I have four rooms where the air conditioning outlet (a 12"x12 square box) is located at the center of the room. I would like to install ceiling fans in three of the four rooms and naturally I wish to...
9
9

Vancouver Images
This is a shot I took a couple of days ago, of the construction of the Skytrain downtown sub-section beneath Granville street. You might notice what appears to be one of the tunnel-boring machines...
18
18

Earthquake resistance: Linear, or not...?
I was watching something about earthquakes and building (or retrofitting) for earthquake resistance. I'm assuming it's a "curved graph", but maybe not? So I was wondering, if something is made...
44
44

"Architecture must set effective boundaries to public space, and it does so by relinquishing the desire to show off, to stand out, to record the artistic flair of some temporary ego."
Times Literary Supplement

Re: Attitude + Drugs = Insane Architecture
Thanks. Never heard of the Watts Towers before... Is this you trying to post on something more architectural than grout? Did your press agent give you the idea? Not bad, keep at it, but maybe hire...
19
19

Re: Would you pay $100k per foot for a HC ramp?
Never use "modest" is the same sentence with San Francisco or LA. They simply have no common sense whatsoever. Zero.

Oscar Niemeyer: A century history of architecture lives among us
On the 14th of December Brazil celebrated the hundredth birthday of Oscar Niemeyer. An extraordinary event that had the world architecture focused on the character of the last great master of the...
2
2

Really great brick architecture in this culture
Chuvash and Crimean Tatars and Tatars of Tataristan today share an ancient culture that was for a period of time under Khazar control. Some people even claim that Bulgarians have some of this...
4
4

Re: THE STAR SYSTEM'S PACK OF CARDS
The contribution of the advertisers would encourage high costs, not decrease them. Why? You didn't say anything compelling. Just a "there's famous architects and I've got a slur to call...
1
1

Edward J. Seibert's work
I think in the 1960's that Seibert designed the MacDonald house on Siesta Key. Anyone know of any pics of this house??
4
4

May or may not be funny, but at least it's on topic....well, sorta...
http://chronicle.com/free/v54/i26/26b01401.htm
5
5

Plaza in Peru may be the America's oldest urban site
"Michael Bulatovich" wrote in news: I wondered about tha, but it's impossible to say without further info/photos, because the photographer might have been focusing upon the interesting detail,...
3
3