20 Years

Page 3 of 3

You're paraphrasing me.
After I plonked him I realized that most of the group activity is Don proffering some redneck opinion, and then the group responding to it. I think Don's problem is that he's *not* on meds. He talks like a depressed person. I'm not a collector, but I've met a few. He should heck out the state of modern pharmaceuticals... with a doctor, of course.

heh... ;)
Actually, once I see the "you're an idiot f*** you" sort fo thing, I just mark the whole cascade as "read". I don't read all that fast, and I write *really* slowly, so I have to filter so as to try to not waste *too* much of my time <g!>
I don't care about the mini-biographies unless someone has an interesting life-story. I try to cram waaay too much into my brain as it is, so Ihave no room for "so-and-so used to post in alt.smorgasbord under the name hamncheese, and would whine about field mice", or whatever the hell...
If MikeB write something that I find interesting, amusing, clever, or worthy of comment, I'll read and write a reply if I want to, regardless of whether he used to be hamncheese at alt.smorgasbord...OTOH, if he, ro anyone, writes stuff that I find to be childish, nasty, irrelevant, nasty, or stupid, I'll ignore it.
<shrug...> No biggie, I just have no interest in wasting my time on trash- talk and other garbage...there are too many *interesting* things in the world ;) !

About as long as it took you to form a thought, which means I was trying all day to get google groups to work.
You know I really don't want ot bring up the whole VA shooting thread all over again, so think whatever you want to think, I don't give a shit.
--
Edgar

[ ...]

I don't have to listen to someone blithering uselessly about "gutr feelings" (or any other form of general, unfounded, and/or poorly-defined "belief") to know that there exist important *facts* about terrorism and terrorists. There is a lot I can't go into, even after this much time, but suffice it to say that there are a great many serious *possibilities*. It's one thing, however, to say that a given scenario or set of scenarios is *possible* or, for than matter, *likely*, and it is an entirely different matter to collect and _most importantly_ recognize evidence indicating that this or that scenario is *imminent*.
Chertoff's blither was entirely useless, because there is no sort of contingency plaaning that is possible based upon someone's ramblings that "the continent migh be attacked in late Summer or early Fall".
Having a fear, or more perhaps accurately, a concern about the possibility of terrorist attack is not a "phantom fear", unless one is living with one's head stuck in a hole somewhere. THe difference between fear and concern is that concern is a basis for intelligent analysis and planning, whereas fear, especially non-specific fear, leads only to knee-jerk reactions that *at best* are about as useful as a landed fish's flopping around in the boat, and at worst, very easily lead a people to degenerate into a police state. ((Consider, after all, the free-floating anxiety in early 20th-century Germany regarding unionization and Communism and consider the part it played in the rise of the Nazis - and never forget that Hitler was *voted* into power.)) OTOH, if there is good information that a specific event is highly likely to occur within a definable timeframe, and in a definable place or set of places, then it is possible (if currently unlikely) that intelligent planning can take place.
Do not ever forget that the 2nd Amendment is about our ability to defend ourselves from the GOVERNMENT itself. This is the primary reason for this amendment. In fact, the rest of the arguments about the 2nd Amendment are plain stupid because they avoid the real point altogether.
http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/wew/quotes/arms.html
How we've where we are:
http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/wew/quotes/repeal.html

When one has grown up with violence, and has been a victim of violence, nobody else has any right *at all* to blither on as to how one's fears are "nothing more than phantoms".
I've heard all sorts of blither on as to how this one or that one would "never even touch a gun even if their life were threatened".
Well, all I can say is, all the people I knew who said that NEVER HAD their lives, or their loved ones' lives, threatened.

Michael Bulatovich wrote:

Climate change is happening... it has always happened. It will always happen. But, every day, I see more actual evidence that the whole "global warming" thing is not real...not at least from humans must do something quick to avert certain disaster. (The latest is that the 20th century weather station network has so many problems that it's really impossible to know if we've 'warmed' at all...http://www.surfacestations.org/about.htm , and http://www.surfacestations.org/odd_sites.htm )

Somebody once figured that the "ideal" town size was about 30,000 residents with farms between them, located about 10 miles apart. But, they lived in an agrarian 19th century, so what did they know about cars and Internet and all that stuff. I put the same faith in that idea as I do in the developers of Sim City.

I'm telling you that 1) climate is a terrible reason to change anything because we can't do anything about climate, except adapt; 2) Topsoil depletion can be dealt with--good farming techniques solve this problem. But it does mean that 3) we stop thinking corn and soybeans are our savior from oil; 4) You missed the point of my post. Provide vast prosperity to the world and the world will stop having children. And "vast prosperity" doesn't mean everyone lives a north American lifestyle. It simply means they have the opportunity to feed themselves, house themselves, educate themselves and create jobs for themselves. If they cannot do it on their own, then it won't happen. I just read this: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/12/AR2006021201150.html . Something to consider.
(for the record, my undergrad school does a lot of work in Africa teaching the locals how to obtain microcredit, clean water, grow crops, and feed the malnourished--due to political upheaveals and droughts. I support these efforts because the are very targeted and local, leaving the governments. for the most part, out of the picture).
The peoples of the world have, for the most part, forgotten the purposes of government. Government is not there to provide anything to anyone. Go read the Federalist Papers (http://www.constitution.org/fed/federa00.htm ) and the US Constitution (http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html ) to get an understanding of what governments are for.

Interesting. I think I like it. Archie school is usually intense and big group enough that you may well have fine fond friends of frosh failure. Computer geeks or history wonks won't have had quite the same experience and ultimately probably don't care as much about those people gone by the wayside. Even more so with the ones that took a couplefew years to ... eject.

This supports the argument that it is not actual concern for planet/ environment/whatever that is driving the "issue". That is, they aren't serious about it.

Or that they dare not broach the subject.
gruhn wrote:

Maybe they're taking a blanket approach (warming atmospheric envelope) to it.