why is my downstairs 20 degrees colder than my upstairs?

I have central heat/air set at 72. Upstairs maintains a comfortable 70F but downstairs is 49F. I've filled all the drafts I can find, plastic on downstairs windows....not sure what else to do considering I rent and cannot do repairs/updates to the current system. My landlord is no help-says to buy a space heater.

Reply to
Lee Lee KC Missouri

I assume you have a 2 story house. The first question is where is the furnance located. In reality a 2 story should have 2 heat systems. If the heat unit is upstairs or in a attic there is not much you can do. Heat rises so if the unit is in the upper part of the house or apartment that is where it will stay. You can try closing the upstairs vents approx. 1/2 shut and force more airflow downstairs.

Reply to
stanhvac1