There is an Amana Air Command 80 Air Furnace, Model GHI45A25, that was installed 1981 and never used and wont start

Sorry, not an answer but rather for clarification purposes: installed in 1981 and <strong>never used ?!</strong> Just trying to wrap my head around the situation...

Anyhow, if I remember correctly, these had electric igniters as an <strong>option</strong> and the basic install would have a pilot light. if it is, in fact, a pilot light, is it lit?

Also, just from 30+ years of storage there might be dust, a dried up star/run capacitor in either the draft inducer (the smaller motor) or the main blower, and even just generally a dried up/ gellified lubrication everywhere there's a moving part. The draft inducer motor in particular may have a really hard time starting since it's already a weak starting type and the starting capacitor is a very strong suspect - they just generally don't last that long (but then, again, it wasn't used, so who knows...)

How's the humidity been all these years? Any rust? 30 years! This must be a really warm climate location. What made you turn it on now?

Reply to
homeowners

The furnace was new when installed. When I plugged the furnace into the wall socket it made noise like it wanted to start but would not come on line. A guest of mine looked at the thermostat and seemed to believe the control wiring was wrong. I have the original paper work that shipped with the furnace and this includes the wiring diagram. I studied the diagram, and believe I have located two field connect wires??? The two field connect wires, on the diagram, are noted 115V Field Connect. The two field connecting wires are noted : One wire as WH-30 N/GND and the second wire as BK-3. The thermostat is an Honeywell T87F1859 2 7933.

Question 1) How is the thermostat wired to the two field connect wires?

Reply to
Wayne

Your brief is interesting, and I will add even more to your astonishment. After asking the question I decided not to go ahead with the project. The furnace is installed in a small guest house on the property and no one ever occupied the guest house, and so everything simply set there and decayed. However, my son stays there often and uses electrical heaters, and the cost is unacceptable. The guest house is thirty foot by fifteen foot with eight foot walls. Constructed of concrete block walls wood floors and two foot crawl space and half-inch sheet rock on the interior. The attic is not insulated - which will be remedied. Recently the building turn one hundred years of age. My plan is to scrap the existing furnace and go with a gas fired wall furnace. My best calculation: The building will require 45M BTU input for a winter temperature rise of thirty-five degrees Fahrenheit. Strange, but the Amana Air Command 80 is rated at 45M BTU input. Well at least my calculations are, some what, consistent but suspect! . Well, it's nice chatting with you, and Merry Xmas.

Reply to
Anonymous