My 3.5kW storage heater has a standard thermal fuse rated at 10A which keeps blowing after a few uses. Should I put 2 in parallel ?

The Unidare heater is 20 years old but has had minimal use. The temperature rating of the thermal fuse is 184 degrees. I have tried a higher one at 192 but gives the same problem. The heater is sited in a cold dining room at the back of the house which opens into a conservatory so heat exchange is good and it hasn't had towels covering it! Done that one! We have lived with and maintained storage heaters for years to good effect. Not totally ideal but does avoid all those water pipes. Any help on the thermal fuse would be much appreciated.

Reply to
Chris Winters

Need more information. 120 or 240 volts? Do you have 1 thermal fuse on each heater and one is blowing? 3.5 kw @ 120 volts = 29amps, and 3.5 kw @ 240 volts = 15 amp. Either case a 10 amp fuse is overloaded. There is a reason the fuse is blowing, overheating or overloading,  and that needs to be isolated. Adding a extra fuse will create a safety hazzard and possible personal injury.

Reply to
Anonymous

Thanks for that Stan. As we live in U.K. the mains supply is rated at 240V so as you say 3kW (not 3.5 as I mistakenly said!) would draw 12 Amperes. The heater is supplied via a switched spur fitted with a standard 13A fuse which has not blown at all. Although the thermal fuse is rated at 10A it-has a max current 'blow' rating of 20A so excessive current does not seem to be the problem. The heaters are not on any thermostat control and have quite a crude rotary input. Temperature does seem to be the problem and 2 thermal fuses in parallel does seem excessive so will try just the one and turn input down to a mid-point setting. Thanks again and will keep you posted! Chris Winters. Coventry England.

Reply to
Anonymous

I failed to ask if this unit has a blower. If so, checked and see if it is stopped up or not running at the correct speed to move enough air.

Reply to
Anonymous

No blower fitted - fan to you Stan. Also have put 2 new thermal fuses in parallel and heater seems to be working ok at present on mid input setting. Also checked temps with a probe which gives 60 degrees in area of fuses and 110 degrees over heat output flap/vents inside heater after being on for 7 hours at night. Will wait and see - hey ho. Thanks again - Chris.

Reply to
Anonymous