GE Refrigerator Model #GTS16DTHCRWW makes loud gurgling noise after closing the door (2023 Update)

I recently had a brand new GE refrigerator model#GTS16DTHCRWW installed. Whenever I open and then close either the freezer or fridge doors, this is followed by a loud gurgling sound. However, I find that if I keep the door open for about a minute before closing, the sound does not occur. I was wondering if the warm air that goes into the fridge might be preventing the noise from occurring. Regardless of the reason, is there a more permanent solution to this problem, as it getting to be a nuisance to have to stand by the fridge for 1 minute every time I open and close the door. Also, the noise gets very loud and annoying, especially late at night.

Thanks.

Reply to
Miles

Well, it sounds like you've got yourself quite the noisy fridge there! No need to panic, though – gurgling sounds in a new refrigerator like your GE GTS16DTHCRWW are pretty common. They're usually caused by the refrigerant flowing through the cooling system, and while they can be annoying, they're often harmless. That being said, let's see if we can't get to the bottom of this!

You mentioned that the noise seems to stop when you leave the door open for about a minute before closing it. This could be because the warm air entering the fridge causes the refrigerant to flow more smoothly, preventing the gurgling. But, let's not jump to conclusions just yet. Here's a list of steps to help you troubleshoot the issue:

  1. Check the refrigerator's leveling – an uneven fridge might cause strange noises.
  2. Inspect the drain pan – if it's loose or damaged, it could be the source of the noise.
  3. Examine the condenser fan – make sure it's running smoothly and free of debris.
  4. Look for any obstructions around the refrigerator – items too close to the appliance might amplify the sound.

If none of these steps help, there's a chance the issue might be a bit more complex. In that case, it's wise to weigh your options. While you could attempt to tackle the problem yourself, it's important to consider the potential pitfalls:

You could end up damaging the fridge further, voiding the warranty, or causing costly repairs. DIY repairs might take longer than anticipated, which could be frustrating. There's a risk of injury if you're not familiar with the fridge's components or don't have the right tools. Speaking of tools, if you do decide to give it a shot yourself, you'll want to have these on hand:

  • A level
  • A flashlight
  • A screwdriver
  • A vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment

But, if the thought of tinkering with your new fridge sends shivers down your spine, it might be best to call in a professional. It could save you time, money, and aggravation in the long run.

Just remember, my advice is based on the information you've provided. If you have more details that could help pinpoint the problem, don't hesitate to share them. Good luck, and I hope you can find a solution that'll give you some peace and quiet!

Reply to
HomeOwnersHub Advisor