Air cond. has NEMA 6-15P (220v/30AMP) Plug end - only 220V outlet available is NEMA 10-30R (Dryer) HELP?

Your A/C has a NEMA 6-15P, which is intended for a three wire (hot-hot-ground) 15A 120/240V single phase service.

I'm assuming you are essentially asking if a (long enough)  extension cord for 15Amp three-wire 120/240V service  exists with a "P" (male, plug) NEMA 10-30 on one end and an "R" (female, receptacle) NEMA 6-15R on the other? I don't believe you can find a cord like that and it would not be safe to make one yourself out of discrete parts and a length of thick three-wire cable either :

The only safe way to power your new A/C would be to pull a new cable from  the panel. The now obsolete NEMA 10 connectors did not have a ground wire in them, which was legal before 1996 NEC but not anymore. If your dryer was wired prior to that, and the extension cord like you're asking about existed, you would end up with three wires carrying hot, hot and neutral connected to a device that expects hot, hot and ground, i.e. its metal body parts would be connected to the neutral conductor. I would avoid that because if anything happens to the neutral conductor between you and its grounding point, there may be potentially dangerous voltages on the neutral.

Please call the electrician and install a proper and safe NEMA 6-16R receptacle for the A/C permanently near the window.

Or return the 18,000 BTU 240V unit and get a smaller one that plugs into the normal NEMA 5-15R? Like this 14,000 BTU Grainger sells:

Just a thought ...

Reply to
homeowners

I just purchased a Haier - 18,000 BTU Window Air Conditioner with a NEMA 6-15P (220v/30AMP) Plug end. The only available 220V is a NEMA 10-30R (Dryer) receptacle (50AMP ??). What is the most affordable solution to get this Air conditioner working? It is approaching 100deg outside today - PLEASE HELP!

Reply to
Anonymous
 I sincerely appreciate your fast and thorough response. I couldn't resist a slight chuckle as I read it, because you succinctly anticipated my thoughts and addressed them; point by point. The problem with returning/exchanging the Air cond. is that it is the second one to be delivered in the past two weeks, the first one was damaged in transit. This is a re-manufactured unit we purchased, to save money. We have a window just inches from the power panel, so the material cost of a new outlet would be minimal. I was hoping for a quick fix, but it appears we'll have to suffer the miserable heat wave, until we can afford to have the electrical outlet installed properly.
Reply to
Anonymous

Ed Bishop is your man. He's got an awesome site about heating and air conditioning here:

StumpMarkus